pixeltracker

WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)

WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#1WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/17/09 at 3:18pm

Fyi for those of you with tickets to preview performances of WONDERLAND, the 11/25 evening and 11/29 evening performances have been cancelled. TBPAC box office will reschedule you for either another preview date (throwing in an additional comp ticket for your inconvenience), or for a regular performance date, or just refund your money.

rmusic11322
#2re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/17/09 at 5:16pm

why did they cancel?

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#2re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/17/09 at 5:21pm

"why did they cancel?"

See: book and score of WONDERLAND

When I think about you, I touch myself.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#3re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/17/09 at 6:08pm

""why did they cancel?"

See: book and score of WONDERLAND"

I certainly hope that's why. After the concept album / song list released, the plot sounds stupid now? Alice is having a bad day, she and her daughter share a moment and then they're in Wonderland. awesome. really. (And I'm seing this ... TWICE!)

Actually - it must be with the score/etc. The first preview is still on (November 24) which would mean that the scenic design (mostly 3-D projections apparently) and the dancing/etc. would sort of have to be done for the first preview? Updated On: 11/17/09 at 06:08 PM

gypsymal56 Profile Photo
gypsymal56
#4re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/17/09 at 9:04pm

My tickets are for December 1st. Nervous.

denise2
#5re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/20/09 at 12:29pm

I'm flying down from PA - have tickets for 11/27 - with friends coming from Albuquerque - I'm nervous too.

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#6re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 12:01am

Saw the 2nd preview tonight. I think the show still has some kinks to work out, but it anywhere near as bad as the boards are making it out to be. Is it the next Wicked, no. Could it make it on Broadway in this tough economic climate, probably not. Was it worth the $60 bucks I paid for the performance? Absolutely, and then some.

There were a few songs that were superfluous, but overall, it was a fun show. The White Knight and his boy-band like compadres were hilarious, and Niki Snelson was great as the Mad Hatter - I hadn't expected her to be quite so evil - she did a good job playing bad!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 12:10am

They are cancelling shows four days apart, strange.
Sounds more like a schedule problem than changes.
It's cool they are offering a free ticket for the
inconvenience.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 12:36pm

I am listening to the Wonderland CD now

It is a big departure from those who like his music. It sounds very unwildhorn . If you did not know it was him, you would never know.

I love "Off With Their Heads".

Poster Emeritus

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 1:50pm

"I am listening to the Wonderland CD now

It is a big departure from those who like his music. It sounds very unwildhorn . If you did not know it was him, you would never know.

I love "Off With Their Heads"."

I agree...save for "Once More I Can See," "Home," "Love Begins," "Finding Wonderland," and then the Mad Hatter's song sounds a bit like something off one of Linda's solo albums. But the rest, I agree...not the same. The melodies are there but the orchestrations are a little bizarre for his music.

Do songs like "Nick of Time" and "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" sound exactly like they do on the concept?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 2:27pm

Definitely not gothic & no power ballads here.

Something tells me the critics still would trash it. A few numbers sounded calypsolike & like they could have been from Havana.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/28/09 at 02:27 PM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#11re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 5:43pm

"Definitely not gothic & no power ballads here.

Something tells me the critics still would trash it. A few numbers sounded calypsolike & like they could have been from Havana. "

I think the core creative team of Wildhorn, Murphy & Boyd are trying really hard to make it a hit. Surpringly, with nearly every new announcement I tend to get less & less excited.

I've always said the casting of Dacal was a bad decision - first she doesn't look like anyone would expect of Alice. I still firmly believe with a character like Alice, you need the whole blonde-hair-thing going on. Second off, BASED OFF THE RECORDING, she doesn't sound like that big of a stand-out. I'm hoping I'll be blown away by her in person.

Luckily the visuals/scenic/etc. look really great! Some of the music is fine, but again, majority isn't very Wildhorn-sounding. "Worst Day of My Life" sounds like it's from Legally Blonde; most of the songs just repeat themselves over & over.

Just for your folks on BWW I guess, this was on the Wonderland Study Guide (and worried even me!):

"With book musicals, the composer and lyricist who compose the score are
instrumental in the conception and creation of the musical, working closely with a
playwright or writing the script themselves. Over the years, there have been many notable composer-lyricist pairings that have made their mark on the theatrical scene: Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, and Frank Wildhorn and Jack Murphy.

Wonderland Study Guide

romgitsean
#12re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 6:52pm

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought it sounded awful.

Alice is dead, I'm convinced. After this awful Tim Burton version coming out (Thanks to Linda Woolverton, we know how great HER writing can be from Lestat...) and there have been so many awful productions and such lately. I recently watched a stage play where literally almost every character raped Alice, and in the end, Alice died. Pretentious much?

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 6:59pm

Give me the old Wildhorn. I would much rather listen to the score from Svengali than this.Unfortunately, it will not happen.

Poster Emeritus

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#14re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29)
Posted: 11/28/09 at 8:57pm

I'm perfectly fine and loved the first four clips that were on the website - "Finding Wonderland" sounds like a typical pop-y Wildhorn tune, "The Mad Hatter Attacks" (I think) sounds great, "Caterpillar's Advice" sounds like it could come from the Civil War even and "Through the Looking Glass" is with a more pop-orchestrated feel of his typical "Deep in the Darkest Night" / "Into the Fire" type deals.

Unfortunately, Murphy's lyrics don't make up for the overly-pop score. In fact, they make it twice as worse. Usually Murphy's lyrics just numb the song from being good but .. nope....nope! re: WONDERLAND cancellations (11/25, 11/29) So much hope for this project. It seems like the show opens and Alice is already in Wonderland after a scene or two. What happened to developing that whole thing? I'm really hoping there's dialogue to fill in the viods, which unfortunately usually isn't done in a Wildhorn piece.

I would LOVE to know why PHOEBE HWANG, EUGENE FLEMING and more are no longer with the show!!!!!!

Videos