pixeltracker

NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread- Page 9

NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread

bwayfan7000
#200re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 5:13pm

As far as Cinema Italiano goes, no one has noted thus far the interview with Yeston in which he explained why it's there. He thought that it was important to have a number that explained who Guido Contini was as a filmmaker in popular culture, and how he affected the style of the time, or something.
I don't think the number really achieved that, but it at least was fun.
I thought the film was very good, despite all the negative reviews. I hope Cotillard wins something for this, as I thought her performance in this was better than her Oscar-winning performance in La Vie En Rose.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#201re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 5:27pm

In regards to the LA Times reporting it as a flop, I can understand why it may have been. On Christmas Eve, and all the weekend, I saw commercials, I was excited to see it at some point, but, having looked yesterday, the two closests theaters to me don't have it. I would have to drive an hour to see it. Now, judging by the fact they had a poster for it, one of them will have the movie at some point, I just hope it's when I go to the movies with my friends, because I can't drive and that's the only time I would be able to see it because none of my family wants to. *Rant Complete*

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#202re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 5:32pm

How great that the Overture is available to download for free! It's really brilliantly staged and done. As is the Finale.

There are just some things that Marshall did very well. It's a shame that it's so uneven.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#203re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 6:17pm

Miss Penny---You should probably skip it then. Your expectations could never be met.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#204re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 6:54pm

I don't know that it's "expectations," Besty. I think it's everything you've said that's made me anxious. But who knows? Even with all the flaws you've identified, you liked the film (and I know how you feel about 8 1/2!), so maybe I'm just being unnecessarily nervous. (Another friend who LOVES the original film LOVED this one, too!)

BTW, did you comment on Nicole Kidman? I don't remember reading anything about her.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#205re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 7:02pm

MissPennywise, go see it.

I loved the movie...one of the best, if not the best that I've seen this year. Just like with any play/musical that's adapated for the big screen, you gotta check your expectations at the door, and go in with a completely open mind. Apples & oranges... Making comparisons to the original play/musical is pointless. Two completely different mediums.

When you have such high expectations, and you are disappointed, the only one that you can be disappointed with, is yourself. When your imagination goes into overdrive, it's not always a good thing.

Updated On: 12/27/09 at 07:02 PM

bk
#206re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 7:32pm

So, if someone doesn't love it they can only blame themselves? Is that right? I had no expectations (other than I WANTED to love it), I have never seen the stage show, I know the difference between film and stage and guess what - I didn't love it. I didn't need to see it three times. I guess I'll go blame myself rather than the film itself. Apples and oranges indeed.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#207re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 7:39pm

You don't have to love it. That's not the point.

If you didn't have any expectations, that's great. Many people did. You've misinterpreted what I wrote. Pennywise was referring to expectations in her posting.

A friend of mine also saw "Nine," and was very displeased, as he was expecting it to be like the stage version, and that's never the case when a play or musical is brought to the silver screen. He expected scenes/songs to be the same, etc. Updated On: 12/27/09 at 07:39 PM

degrassifan
#208re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 8:57pm

Currently watching The Sound of Music on ABC, and a TV Spot for Nine just came on. The announcer said something like "The musical dazzling critics everywhere" whilst a bunch of review quotes was shown. Furthermore, the announcer stated "If you liked Chicago, you'll love Nine".

Maybe it might pick up business later? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd hate for this movie to fail, considering how talent was involved in its making & the amount of money spent.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#209re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 9:02pm

"When you have such high expectations, and you are disappointed, the only one that you can be disappointed with, is yourself."

nealb1--I think that's where bk got his "blame" issue with your comments.

I don't think anyone can erase personal history when viewing a movie (or play or painting, etc.) Of course, we each bring in previous memories, experiences and perspective. It can't be avoided.

And I don't think anyone should have to "check their identities at the door" when viewing art. That's not the point of a personal opinion. This is not a "fair trial." It's not based on facts. It's your opinion. Nothing more or less. And there is no such thing as an "unbiased opinion," either. We are all biased, based on our individual histories. That may include knowledge and/or love of previous incarnations of this story on film or stage.

I admit, I might have related to Guido in this particular movie more than I expected, and perhaps more than many other people in the audience did, because in a way, I'm at a similar crossroad in my life right now. (Although I'm not a famous, sexy, Italian film maker---try as I might. re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread )

It had nothing (or very little) to do with my previous experiences seeing the Fellini film or the stage show. I didn't need any help being drawn to him or finding his "appeal." It was there for me already in his situation. Still, I can easily see how others wouldn't care or would lose interest quickly with a character like this (as Guido is portrayed in this particular adaptation).

I was also speculating in my posts here that more audience members might have been drawn into Guido's dilemma with added humor or charm ... since it bridges gaps and creates an identifiable quality when people otherwise can't quite relate to a situation or character. It's clear that others have found great charm in Mastroianni's original portrayal of Guido. Although (and I hate to even mention this to some of you), I know quite a few people who unfortunately hate "8 1/2" and think it's a giant mess and a bore. Even people who adore other Fellini movies.

*ducks*

Miss Penny---I guess I would add "enter at your own risk" then. If you go in expecting "8 1/2," you won't get it. It's not that movie. You will see glimpses of it, homages to it, you'll also see glimpses of the original Broadway production and its revival. But this is its own creation. It's something "new," based on "old."

Whether or not it works for you, and you identify emotionally with it, I couldn't say. I think you still might love many creative aspects of this movie and its solid performances in particular.

As far as Nicole Kidman, she's wonderful and effective in a brief role. I loved her scene with Guido and her haunting song. I think all the women are outstanding in the movie. It's a succession of brief encounters and "star turns," and it was obvious to me why each of these ladies is a star. And Rob Marshall "falls in love" with each one of them himself behind the camera. He knows how to make them shine. I'm sure that's why they jumped at the chance to work with him . They trusted that, if nothing else, he would "do right by them" in his movie. I believe he most certainly did.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#210re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 9:11pm

I can see the argument that the numbers in the soundstage serve as giving Guido ideas, however, the movie he ends up making is completely different; there is nothing in the movie that suggests the musical numbers turned into potential scenes or anything.

I think that adding "With You" would have added the humor this film needed; the audience would have realized, "hey I am laughing at this guy who is cheating on his wife". . . and done wonders towards creating sympathy.

I also think "Simple" could have been turned into a group number. Everyone in a way is breaking someone's hearts in this film.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#211re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 9:41pm

"In NINE (the movie adaptation), the women are the excitement and the focus. Guido is the pouting observer. Bad move, since he's the one who has to draw us in.

And I know you'll agree, Jane, that Daniel Day-Lewis CAN be plenty charismatic. Just not so much in this movie, unfortunately (and for you, not at all!). "

I'm in complete agreement with you here Besty. I thought Daniel Day Lewis was better in Let There Be Blood, but for me he had NO charisma in Nine. As many reviewers have mentioned - you didn't care a bit about him. Some go even further by saying they disliked his Guido.

All this aside, Daniel Day Lewis is only one of my big problems of Nine. I know I'm "out there" by saying it did nothing whatsoever for me, and I think it was a nothing film. It had nothing (for me).

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#212re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 10:12pm

We wound up seeing it as I wanted to get her out of the house as she was still bummed out over Paris being cancelled. She said she wanted to see it so we did.

I enjoyed it more than I thought although I still mourn the evisceration of the score. Lewis was better than I thought.It was a shame that he tried doing his Fosse impression & had no numbers except those on a sound stage.We enjoyed Dench & Cruz & Marion C but thought this was the first time Sophia did not look good.Cinema Italiano is catchy but not oscar worthy

The songs I missed the most were:

1. The Grand Canal
2. Not Since Chaplin
3. The Bells Of St S
4. Nine

It was a good musical but not as great as it could have been. Let Marshall direct anything else other than Follies.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/27/09 at 10:12 PM

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#213re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 10:22pm

I also think Daniel Day-Lewis is a wonderful actor and a very attractive man. I have found him tremendously "charismatic" in films. So, it's not that I can't see him in the role or anything like that. It's just that so many people find his Guido impossible to care about, and if I don't care about the character, I don't care about the story...and if I don't care about the story, then....

Anyway, again, I'll say that I do not have "expectations." I have a very clear and strong appreciation for Fellini's masterpiece, but that doesn't mean I would "compare" one to the other. Another of my favorite films is SUNSET BOULEVARD and I think the musical is ALW's best. I ADORE that show. (And I don't "adore" ALW!)

Some things are just too meaningful, too personal, I guess. I never saw the film SOPHIE'S CHOICE because the novel was so powerful for me that I never wanted to see anyone else's concept of it...even though it starred Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline. I actually told this to William Styron when I met him, and he completely understood. In fact, we discussed the PBS version of THE HOUSE OF MIRTH starring Geraldine Chaplin and both of us felt that it had tarnished the memory of the book for us.

So, no, it is not "expectations." I don't "expect" Day-Lewis to be Marcello (no one could be), and I would be stupid to "expect" that ANY director could "re-make" 8 1/2. I know that this is a different work, a new interpretation. The question I have to ask myself is "Do I want to see 8 1/2 conceived in any other way than the one I know and love?" I realize that no one can answer that question but me.

And I guess I DO have one "expectation": I want anything I see to entertain me, move me, draw me in, astonish me. I hate feeling that I've just wasted 2 hours of my life that I'm going to be complaining about for the next 2 years (which I have done in the past, I'm embarrassed to admit!). But the only way to know if THAT'S going to happen is to see the darn thing, right? re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#214re: NINE - The Movie Musical - Review Thread
Posted: 12/27/09 at 11:09pm

"When you have such high expectations, and you are disappointed, the only one that you can be disappointed with, is yourself."

nope.

Anyhoo - Besty - I feel comfortable in saying that had I never seen 8 1/2, I still was disappointed in the movie Nine on its own.

Why? Because it was a disjointed film which had no flow. It was a series of music videos as I had mentioned before. Yes,you knew that these women in the videos each had a place in Guido's life, but besides not caring about Guido, you couldn't care about most of the women either.

So what's left?

And I must say that it takes guts to make this film based on the masterpiece 8 1/2, and to think it unfair to compare the two. c'mon!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES