pixeltracker

Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced- Page 2

Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced

Josh Freilich
#25re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 11:09am

The Shaming of the True by Kevin Gilbert

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

husk_charmer
#26re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 11:09am

Aren't Betty Boop and Pure Country still on the way?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Jon
#27re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 12:12pm

There was talk of a Moonstruck musical.

Fan2
#28re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 1:32pm

>>>Anyone know what happened to the Houdini Musical that Hugh Jackman was supposedly working on? Is that dead, or merely put on hold?<<<

I read somewhere that it's being rewritten, so no way it's coming out in 2010 - Hugh is filming one movie in February and another in June.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 1:34pm

Aren't Betty Boop and Pure Country still on the way?

Betty Boop has been "on the way" for the better part of a decade now, and I wouldn't keep my hopes up for Pure Country hitting the boards any time soon.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

romgitsean
#30re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 2:03pm

See Not Since Carrie? :P

Arugabley I could say "Story of My Life"...but thanks for all these out-of-town closings/new flops to discover re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#31re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 2:52pm

I recall seeing the marque and window posters for PAPER MOON-THE MUSICAL on Broadway. The music was by Larry Grossman ("Minnie's Boys", "A Doll's Life", "Goodbye Charlie" and "Grind") with a book by Martin Casella. Gregory Harrison had the Ryan O'Neal part and I believe the Madeline Kahn role of Trixie was to be played by Christine Ebersole (could be wrong about that). I imagine last minute money problems caused this production's demise.

Then there's the musical version of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE starring Mary Martin and Ethel Merman that never happened.

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#32re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 3:21pm

Tuck Everlasting..I have the demo to that!

Gavin Rehfeldt Profile Photo
Gavin Rehfeldt
#33re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 6:05pm

I recall seeing the marque and window posters for PAPER MOON-THE MUSICAL on Broadway. The music was by Larry Grossman ("Minnie's Boys", "A Doll's Life", "Goodbye Charlie" and "Grind") with a book by Martin Casella. Gregory Harrison had the Ryan O'Neal part and I believe the Madeline Kahn role of Trixie was to be played by Christine Ebersole (could be wrong about that). I imagine last minute money problems caused this production's demise.

Didn't this have a run at the Paper Mill Playhouse, though?

What I'd like to know is what happened to Lee Pockriss's musical of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I saw a workshop of it years ago and it was not bad.

Bought my Pee-wee Herman Show tickets! Yahoooo!

Mister Matt
#34re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 6:11pm

Is that the Baby Jane that was produced in Houston and Chicago? I heard mixed reviews about it. I remember buying tickets to Paper Moon about a month before it was canceled. I may still have the actual tickets somewhere...

Trekkie2
#35re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 8:38pm

"Then there's the musical version of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE starring Mary Martin and Ethel Merman that never happened."

I believe that's still in the works.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Wildcard
#36re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 9:24pm

Ever After (based on the Drew Barrymore movie)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#37re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 10:16pm

Wasn't there that Andrew Lippa musical that was to be produced by Disney? The boy in the ceiling or something like that?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#38re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 10:23pm

Sweet Charity starring Paula Abdul!

The Bronx casket co.

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#39re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/22/09 at 10:59pm

Remember HARMONY, the musical by Barry Manilow about the singing group in Nazi Germany? It somehow never made it Broadway despite several announcements that it was on it's way

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#40re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/23/09 at 12:13am

There was also Brittney Spears being the lead in Sweet Charity that fell through.

#41re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/23/09 at 2:07am

What about Mean Girls the musical.

#42re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/23/09 at 2:17am

RIP Princess Bride

Mister Matt
#43re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/23/09 at 12:18pm

I remember when Broadway in Chicago sold season tickets including Masada in the upcoming season. The show flopped in the West End last season under the title, Imagine This. The score's not too bad.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#44re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:47pm

Eric Idle threw around the idea of a Life of Brian musical. But then he must have realized the one musical number in that movie was put in his other show so I believe he gave up on it.

romgitsean
#45re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/23/09 at 4:56pm

Oh, add Casper: The Musical to that list. I don't know what they ever intended it to be, although it had Chita in it

A&OL is still slated for a musical? Does anyone know the writers? I'm assistant directing that show and am Einstein right now. :>
When I was involved in a production of it last as Mr. Gibbs, the director mentioned he thought it had musical potential, and that's where the idea first occurred to me, but upon further investigation, Kesselring (sp?) has said he never wanted a musical adaptation...but he's long dead now, so, who knows?

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#46re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/24/09 at 5:51pm

I remember that there was supposed to be a "Captain America" musical, a decade or so ago, starring John Cullum and that he did some publicity shots in the costume and it was supposed to be choreographed by Lara Teeter.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#47re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/24/09 at 7:13pm

How about that musical with Brent Barrett that played out of town and quickly folded? Wasn't it called PRINCESSES or something like that?
Not a musical, but wasn't Joaquin Cortez supposed to play his flamenco show on Broadway at one point?
Haha, I do remember THE APPRENTICE, THE MUSICAL. Too funny.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

romgitsean
#48re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/24/09 at 9:35pm

I heard something about Trey Parker and Matt Stone announcing they were writing a musical about mormons that was slated for Broadway, come to think of it.

jeffmiele
#49re: Musicals That Vanished As Quickly As They Were Announced
Posted: 12/26/09 at 12:39pm

here's a link to Jason Robert Brown's blog.. he talks about originally being tapped to write the score for 'Betty Boop' AND it includes 2 recorded songs.

http://www.jasonrobertbrown.com/exclusive/1009/shmettyshmoop.mp3

Videos