Need help picking a show!

wickedpoppinsfan
#1Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 3:46pm

Next Thursday I want to see a show, and my choices are the phantom of the opera (I've never seen it, and keep putting it off all the time), Next to Normal (I want to see it, but I have a feeling I won't enjoy it). South Pacific (Never seen), or West Side Story. I would just like you're opinions, and recommendations.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#2Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 3:47pm

Next to Normal. I have seen it twice and you don't wanna miss Alice Ripley's Tony award winning performance.

rmusic11322
#2Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 3:59pm

I would have to choose either Next To Normal or West Side Story.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#3Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 5:03pm

South Pacific or West Side Story.

DefyGravity777
#4Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 6:34pm

I really dont get why people are always asking what show to see? Just pick one and see it.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

wickedpoppinsfan
#5Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 6:39pm

That's because I'm not able to see a show every single month I see probably about 4 shows a year, so It's hard for me to choose a show to see when there's a lot of good shows out there.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#6Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 6:42pm

Next to Normal or Phantom.

Phantom, it's a classic, but it's also on tour.

Next To Normal, it's new and different.

If I were you, I would choose Next To Normal.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#7Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 6:43pm

Why do you feel you won't enjoy Next to Normal? It might help us(the ones who actually want to help) make suggestions. I would suggest Next to Normal.

WickedlyEdna1962 Profile Photo
WickedlyEdna1962
#8Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 6:47pm

Next to Normal.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#9Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 7:15pm

I also thought I wouldn't like Next to Normal. I was never a fan of Rent and I thought with serious subject matter and a rock score, it might be another Rent for me. I went in with a pessimistic, but curious attitude. I absolutely loved it. It was one of the most powerful shows I have ever seen, and I've even been listening to the music non-stop.

Phantom will be around for a while longer, I can imagine.

South Pacific was another one of my favorite shows I have ever seen on Broadway. It's such a classic and it's a blessing to be able to listen to that fantastic score with a full orchestra. I saw it with Paulo Szot and Laura Osnes in the lead roles, and they were fantastic. Paulo might be on a break right now, so I can't comment on whoever is replacing him.

West Side Story was very good. I had never seen it onstage before and I really enjoyed it! The sound made it a little hard to hear. It was a great production, but not as touching for me as Next to Normal and South Pacific. If you have to pick 2, pick these two.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you decide!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 7:51pm

wickedpoppins, i understand your question, but these threads are frustrating because ultimately you are the best barometer of what you want to see. i mean, most of the people on here are telling you to see next to normal, the show you are least gravitating towards. so it is hard to really make suggestions. would you go against your gut and see next to normal if enough people recommend it?

i truly think next to normal is the best of the shows you listed but if you like wicked and mary poppins, the intensity of n2n may be too much for you.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

DefyGravity777
#11Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 8:00pm

"if you like wicked and mary poppins, the intensity of n2n may be too much for you."

That was a little uncalled for IMO. I love Wicked AND N2N.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

wickedpoppinsfan
#12Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:17pm

I'm not less gravitating to next to normal, I just hear such good reviews about the show, that I want to see it, so I could probably see what the hype is about, but I just wanted people's opinions. And, just because I'm a wicked and mary poppins fan, does not mean I don't have a brain, and can't understand the "intensity" in next to normal. Watch what you're saying, because you don't know me.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:25pm

First of all, both of you need to relax. Seriously, I raised a valid point and I never questioned anyone's ability to "understand" anything. Stop reading into things.

N2N is a very intense emotional show far unlike Wicked and Mary Poppins, which you like enough to incorporate into your screen name. All I inferred was that if you gravitate towards those kinds of shows, you may not like N2N. It has very heavy content. Thats all. It made no overtures towards what you would understand. I never said you don't have a brain-no idea where you got that from.

Also, if you don't want opinions, don't start threads asking for them. It seems like you will do fine picking your own show. Peace out.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#14Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:26pm

Betty said nothing about you not being able to "understand" the intensity in Next to Normal. I enjoy both Mary Poppins and Wicked but Next to Normal is also a show I love and it might be my favorite of the three.

So what your saying is you would want to see Next to Normal to see the hype? I still don't quite understand why your less interested. Maybe you just are, maybe I am looking WAY to much into this, haha. But like Betty said, you are the one that knows best in this situation.

Updated On: 2/11/10 at 09:26 PM

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#15Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:45pm

I'd say Next to Nromal. You don't eant to miss Alice Ripley and Phantom sn't goign anywhere.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#16Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:45pm

I think you should see Next to Normal. I'm surprised nobody has suggested it yet.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

purtynpynk Profile Photo
purtynpynk
#17Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/11/10 at 11:18pm

I would say next to normal too. I wanted to see it, but I didn't think it would be as good and interesting as it was. Also, if Alice Ripley isn't in, her understudy Jessica Phillips is excellent too, so you'll see someone good in that role no matte what!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/12/10 at 12:58am

To the OP: your comment to BettyBoy was totally unwarranted. YOU asked for opinions, and he tried to give you one based on things YOU said. You mentioned that he "doesn't KNOW you"...no, he doesn't -- so then why solicit opinions for yourself from an entire board of people that don't know you. Bettyboy meant, nor implied, no disrespect for you OR the shows you like.

If I was going to rank your possibilities:
N2N
South Pacific

I wouldn't reccommend WSS OR Phantom. Phantom is nothing but spectacle and this production of WSS is souless. (Granted, I haven't seen it since the week it opened...but out of my group of nearly 100 -- less than 5 people LOVED it, and maybe another 10 even LIKED it.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwaylvsong
#19Need help picking a show!
Posted: 2/12/10 at 1:24am

I haven't seen N2N, but I absolutely loved the other three! You can't go wrong with any of them!

Videos