pixeltracker

Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?

Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 2:03pm

As usual, let us know how it is! I've got tickets for April, a few days before opening, and couldn't be more excited! I hope this gives Broadway the jolt of fun and energy it needs this season!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#2Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 2:08pm

I'm dying to know if Ashford is keeping the "Turkey Lurkey Time" choreography. Here's the original as reference.

Turkey Lurkey Time

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#3Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 2:58pm

someone please post the new song list. I am curious to know where they placed the interpolations.

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 3:25pm

Will be there. Can't wait.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 3:26pm

I'll be there in the front mezz!!

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#6Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 6:29pm

I'll be there.

ETA **Ticket is taken**

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
Updated On: 3/27/10 at 06:29 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 7:49pm

Uh oh just got the playbill. There are going to be some unhappy people. A House Is Not a Home is the new act 1 finale! Yikes. Chuck gets a reprise of it in act 2. Grapes of a Roth is the second song in act 1. I don't see the Marge and Fran duet listed.
Some of you will not be happy about this.

Mildred Plotka
#8Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 7:57pm

What Marge/Fran duet? Do you mean the song that was included in Encores!? I can live without that number (between Fran and a secretary I think)/

husk_charmer
#9Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 9:25pm

So where is Turkey Lurkey Time?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Mildred Plotka
#10Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 9:27pm

I understand wanting to end ACT I with a song instead of just a book scene. Originally "Turkey Lurkey" was the last number of ACT I followed by a scene between Fran and Chuck.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 9:42pm

Intermission. Act 1 still ends with the scene between Fran and Chuck. House is sung when he leaves the stage, he returns, they have their exchange and the act ends like It I guess it originally did.
I can't tell if the Bennett choreography was used for Turkey. It felt kind of underwhelming, and sometimes the focus felt like it was off the three women.
Two leads are good so far.
Prayer was basically a dance number for Kristin and the girls. It was kind of odd.
I don't know what else to say yet.
Updated On: 3/27/10 at 09:42 PM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#12Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 9:54pm

A House Is Not a Home is in this? Well, that is a big mistake for starters.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 9:57pm

I can't tell if the Bennett choreography was used for Turkey. It felt kind of underwhelming, and sometimes the focus felt like it was off the three women.

Most likely not then Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Mildred Plotka
#14Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 10:03pm

That's what I'm thinking too Blaxx.

Seems odd to not use iconic choreography in a song that was created as a showcase for the choreographer.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#15Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 10:29pm

"Seems odd to not use iconic choreography in a song that was created as a showcase for the choreographer."

Exactly how I felt about the last revival of "Oklahoma."

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#16Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 10:40pm

I'm not going to pass judgement on Ashford's choreography until I see it. For all we know, they DID use the original "Turkey Lurkey" and it was just poorly done. Either way, not good. I'm all for NEW choreography, but to be perfectly honest, if you can't at least equal the original, don't even try. And while Ashford's a great choreographer, "Turkey Lurkey Time" is damn near impossible to beat. What makes the number IS Bennett's choreography, there's nothing else to lean back on in that number-it's pure fluff, if even that.

I'd have to disagree with you, though, cooperross. While I really disliked the last revival of Oklahoma, what I thought saved it was Stroman's new choreography. I don't know if it surpassed the original, but I, personally, felt that it at least equaled it.THAT was a case where if you KNEW you could do a good job with new choreography, then go right ahead. Otherwise, have modesty and acknowledge what you can't out-do.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

MelissaF
#17Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 11:23pm

Any merchandise for sale? Windowcards?

2012: American Idiot 01/14, In The Heights 02/11, Warhorse 02/18, The Book of Mormon 02/23, The Gershwins Porgy and Bess 02/24, Anything Goes 02/25, Godspell 02/26, Shrek 03/31, Ghost (West End)04/11, Singing In The Rain (West End) 04/12, Matilda (West End) 04/13, Leap of Faith 05/02, Evita 05/03, Jesus Christ Superstar 05/04, Newsies 05/05, The Book Of Mormon 05/06, West Side Story 06/02, Beauty and the Beast 07/07, Million Dollar Quartet 07/28, La Cage 10/13, 10/27 Sister Act, 31/10 Once, 11/01 Rock of Ages, 11/02 Spiderman, 11/03 Newsies, 11/15 Jekyll & Hyde

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#18Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/27/10 at 11:32pm

No one else saw it besides ljay?! I'm DYING to know how it was.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:22am

Some more thoughts.

I thought it was good, but never great. I know it was the first preview, so hopefully it will get stronger.
Sean Hayes is extremely charasmastic, and is a fine singer. He was very good. I would nominate him for a Tony.
Chenoweth is good, but you never once feel like you are watching Fran Kubelik. You are always aware that you are watching Kristin Chenoweth as Fran Kubelik. Thankfully she didn't add any of her crazy soprano notes. She sings the score pretty straight as it was written. I admire her for that. Her two additions were fine, but nothing spectacular. Her "Whoever You Are" was actually very good. She will certainly be nominated, but I would not choose her over Zeta-Jones.
Tony Goldwyn is a fine presence in a sleazy role. His singing is rather weak, and still needs some work.
Katie Finneran is also fine. She does not come close to stealing the show, which I imagine Marian Mercer practically did.
Dick Latessa was a wonderful Dr. Dreyfuss.
The sets were fine, nothing great. The actual apartment was the best set.
I still do not know if they used the original Bennett choreography for Turkey Lurkey Time. Bennett is not credited in the Playbill, so I doubt it is.
The best parts of the show for me were the incredible orchestrations and orchestra, and of course the simply fabulous score. The book felt a bit dated at times.
I think it will get better in time, but I am not sure purists are going to love this one.
Audience reaction was extremely enthusiastic, they clearly enjoyed the addition of two very famous Bacharach songs.

Updated On: 3/28/10 at 12:22 AM

BroadwayBaby
#20Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:26am

turkey lurkey is not the original choreography
and yes there is a lot of merch
what I remember:

turkey lurkey shirt (amazing) $30
a mens show shirt $25
a womens show shirt $25
a never fall in love again v neck shirt $30

mug $15?, magnet$8, hat $15?, keychain$12, a very nice poster $15 (I bought this and the turkey shirt), a tote bag $20

thats all I can remember right now.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#21Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:40am

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a fan of the show itself. It's very dated and it just didn't work for me. I was very let down by the choreography/staging of Turkey Lurkey Time. The cast is good. Kristin Chenoweth, while not the greatest actress in the world, made the whole experience worthwhile for me. She is a true star. She has more star quality than anyone alive except Liza, IMO. It was nice to hear her sing in her lower register. She took the role seriously and thankfully do any of her cutesy gimmicks. I feel so blessed to have been in her presence tonight.

parker russel
#22Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:49am

Definitely not the original Turkey Lurkey choreo Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight? It needs it.

The show is a lot of fun, HUGE crowd pleaser, and I really want to see it again in a few weeks once everyone loosens up. For a first preview it is in really good shape and if they use the next few weeks wisely the show will be awesome.

Sean Hayes is hilarious and just needs to bring all his charisma to his songs. He has a really pleasant voice but needs to not be tentative and go straight for the goofy comedy in the lyrics. HIs interaction with the audience is priceless. Kristen is wonderful but gets a little lost in the comedy dept compared to Sean and Katie Finneran. Hopefully she'll bring a little more goofiness over the next few weeks. That being said, its a first preview and for their first audience they were all fabulous. As a whole they just need to loosen up, be goofy, and the not let the songs slow down the drive the book scenes have. The songs were all good but had a different energy than the scenes...not more or less energy...just didn't quite pop in a genuine way. Its hard to explain, but I'm sure they'll retool a few transitions and the actors will get more comfortable with the segues from scene to songs.

Say a Little Prayer is fine...but if they're gonna put it in they need to re-tinker it a bit and make it the showstopper that it really wanted to be.

I had a great time and will recommend this to anyone. Big stars, hilarious book, great music. Its just a really really really fun big classic musical comedy. Everyone will eat it up.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:50am

"Hopefully she'll bring a little more goofiness over the next few weeks."

- But I think the point is that Fran is not a goofy character.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#24Anyone going to the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES tonight?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:53am

I was also there tonight and the one word I would use to describe the evening overall was "underwhelmed." The show is, as Elphaba3 mentioned, hopelessly dated, though I did enjoy the bouncy score.

Hayes and Chenoweth are both very good, though neither one is outstanding. Both have a ton of charisma, and the audience adored them both tonight. I was actually more impressed with Hayes than Chenoweth, because I didn't think Hayes would be as good as he was. Tony Goldwyn, in a role that screams Marc Kudisch, is not a very good singer, and doesn't come across as sleazy enough to me.

I feel like Turkey Lurkey Time should be a big show-stopper, but in this production, it's not. The choreography in all of the numbers is nothing more than pedestrian. There was no wow factor to any of it. The sets and costumes are both functional, bt again, nothing outstanding.

I don't see it being a big player in the Tony race this year, though Hayes and Chenoweth will almost assuredly receive nominations. At this point, the only thing standing between Catherine Zeta Jones collecting her first Tony is the possible arrival of Sherie Renee Scott in Everyday Rapture.

All of this being said, the audience reaction tonight was very positive, with huge applause for both Hayes and Chenoweth's entrances.