pixeltracker

Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29, 2010- Page 2

Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29, 2010

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#25Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 3:40pm

I can see Everday Rapture getting 5 nominations:

Best Musical
Best Book of a Musical - Dick Scanlan & Sherie Rene Scott
Best Actress in a Musical - Sherie Rene Scott
Best Orchestrations - Tom Kitt
Best Direction of a Musical - Michael Mayer

It could easily take home Book and Actress.

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#26Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 3:45pm

I'm SO excited! This is by far a better choice than LIPS TOGETHER...!

Do you think the production will change any/much? Any additions, or any efforts to make it a "bigger" production? I loved it when I saw it last summer, but that was a fairly small theater. Is the American Airlines Theater going to be too big for this small production? I've never been in that theater so I don't know. Thoughts?

CANNOT WAIT!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#27Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 3:50pm

I don't think it gets a Director nomination. Michael Mayer will be recognized for American Idiot, but there are too many directors this season to give a small show like this a nomination for Direction.

I don't see it getting an Orchestrations nomination either. But I agree with you about Book, Musical, and Sherie. And, if Brantley has his way, Eamon Foley will be nominated for Featured Actor.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#28Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:03pm

Wooooooo hoooooooooo

I'm so coming up from DC *does happy dance with backflips and cartwheels

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#29Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:03pm

Wooooooo hoooooooooo

I'm so coming up from DC *does happy dance with backflips and cartwheels

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

WishingOnlyWounds2
#30Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:04pm

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS! This season is going to have at least one positive now...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:44pm

Not to burst everyone's bubble. But I can see them awarding Sherie for book, but giving Actress to a woman playing an actual character. Like Stew in 2008.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#32Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:50pm

This really shakes up the Tony Awards this year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#33Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:54pm

I would agree with that, ljay, if PASSING STRANGE and EVERYDAY RAPTURE were similar. Sure, they're both autobiographical but in terms of execution, they couldn't be any more different. ER is much more mainstream and easily accessible for the average theater-goer. And the Tonys probably wouldn't feel like they were taking so much of a "risk" by awarding Sherie Best Actress. It's not right, but it's probably the truth.

And Sherie does much more in ER than Stew did in PS in terms of being involved in the actual story-line. Stew served (exclusively) as the narrator and Daniel Breaker did most of the real "acting," hence why Breaker was considered to be a real threat to Boyd Gaines. I remember hearing grumblings that Stew wasn't really doing any "acting" in PS which is why his nomination was considered his "win." But Breaker was the one being considered as a legitimate potential winner because he played more of an interactional role in the show.

Sherie does double duty: playing narrator AND "acting" as herself in book-scenes.

Plus, also, I think a lot of EVERYDAY RAPTURE wouldn't work without Sherie delivering the lines. On paper, some of the show sounds very vain and narcissistic, but with Sherie leading the way, it comes off as very self-deprecating. In an odd way, she's really walking a tightrope the entire show. She could very easily come off as arrogant, because the material allows room for that to happen, but she instead is anything but. And on top of all that, she makes it look effortless.

So on paper, I think the comparison to Stew is fair, but in reality, I think Sherie has the Tony in the bag.
Updated On: 4/1/10 at 04:54 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#34Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 4:57pm

What is this I see below the article?

The Everyday Rapture cast album will be released in May 2010 on Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight Records.
www.sh-k-boom.com

Awesome...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#35Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:09pm

This is also not a particularly strong year for Leading Actress in a Musical. Honestly, the one person who deserves the award more than anyone else might not even be nominated because her show closed so long ago. Last year, Sherie wouldn't have won. The year before that, Sherie wouldn't have won. The year before that, Sherie wouldn't have won. This year, definitely.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:14pm

So are they doing the $10 tix tomorrow?

Sh-K-Kate Profile Photo
Sh-K-Kate
#37Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:16pm

Lucille Lortel Nominations for Everyday Rapture!

Outstanding Musical:
Everyday Rapture; Second Stage Theatre, Producer; Written by Dick Scanlan and Sherie Rene Scott.

Outstanding Lead Actress:
Sherie Rene Scott, Everyday Rapture
Lucille Lortel Noms

*** To learn more and purchase your favorite CDs visit www.sh-k-boom.com

*** Check out http://shkbuzz.wordpress.com/ for the latest news on what the Sh-K-Artists & shows have been up to... concerts, interviews CD signings and more!

*** To find out which incredibly famous Broadway stars have stopped by the office today and how loud the sirens are outside my window follow us on Twitter @ShKBoom

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#38Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:19pm

bjh - who are you referring to when you say that "the one person who deserves the award more than anyone else" was part of a show that "closed so long ago"? It couldn't have been that long ago. Are you thinking of Christiane Noll? Kate Baldwin? Just curious.

I'm also kind of wondering why you are beating around the bush. Do you just not like Sherie? I think she's absolutely fantastic in ER. If you really think someone else deserves it so badly, why not mention her by name? I mean, I loved both aforementioned possible contenders and think that, at least, Christiane deserves a Tony for her performance, but I'm not in charge of nominations or votes. As many on here are suggesting, Sherie might be the only one who is nominated who could feasibly beat CZJ and I think Sherie deserves it more than CZJ.

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#39Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:22pm

great to see the same cast is kept!
are there going to be understudies?
im not sure if there were any at 2nd stage

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#40Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:38pm

I would think so. It's an equity rule to have an understudy right?

Yankeefan007
#41Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:41pm

Billy Crystal's understudy was Derek Jeter.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#42Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 5:50pm

There were only understudies at Second Stage during the two week extension period.

I'm not sure who covered the women, but Morgan Karr understudied Eamon Foley.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#43Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 6:03pm

broadway_show_fan, I was talking about Kate Baldwin, sorry. I guess I forgot to actually say her name, lol. And no, I meant of the women OTHER than Sherie, Kate was the only one deserving to win. I think Sherie is fantastic in Everyday Rapture.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#44Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 6:21pm

Aah this is exciting! I totally missed this when it was at Second Stage last year so I can't wait to see it on Broadway.

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#45Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 9:17pm

There are samples of the cast recording on the show's website:
http://www.sh-k-boom.com/EverydayRapture/#

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#46Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 9:41pm

Does anyone know of a song list or summary?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#47Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 10:04pm

There's no song list or even song credits listed in the Playbill from Second Stage, but I'll try to describe the show.

It's broken into 6 sections:

1. BOTH SIDES NOW - She has two pieces of paper in her pockets. One says "The world was created for me." The other says "I am a speck of dust." This sets up the main themes of the show (as the promotional materials say: balancing her mostly Mennonite past and her mostly Manhattan future).

2. THE NAME OF MY STAR - She discusses growing up half-Mennonite in Topeka, Kansas. Includes mentions of "Pastor Fred" (Fred Phelps) and Judy Garland.

3. BEAUTIFUL DAY - Talks about her love of Mr. Rogers.

4. LIKE MAGIC - Here she tells about her first trip to New York and a man she met there.

5. REACH OUT AND TOUCH - . . . I'm totally blanking on this part. Anyone? I think this may have been where she discussed the fall-out from her time with the man she met in New York.

6. FOUR-LEAF CLOVER - She shares her realization that she doesn't need to wait for the rapture - as she was taught by the Mennonites - because it's already here. Everday. Rapture.

That's a very, very simplified version of what I can remember from a year ago but it'll hopefully give you an idea.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#48Sherie Rene Scott's EVERYDAY RAPTURE Replaces LIPS TOGETHER; Opens April 29
Posted: 4/1/10 at 10:08pm

theatre guy, you are my hero! THANK YOU

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889