aasjb4ever
#2Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/9/10 at 8:43pm

Meh. Dont care.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/9/10 at 8:45pm

Thanks for adding so much to the conversation, ass.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:09pm

I remember when Equity pulled out of "Sugar Babies," and it became an AGVA show.

(American Guild of Variety Artists)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#4Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:26pm

What was the case with Movin Out? I thought that it was equity due to the fact that The Piano Man was considered a character in the cast and by equity standards, a show that has either singing or talking can be considered an equity show?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#5Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 12:17am

Would this affect Tony eligibility?

~Steven

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 12:31am

"Debate has now arisen as to whether COME FLY AWAY is a musical with a story line, or simply an enjoyable evening of dance."

This is not a musical, it's an evening of dance. And I've heard from several people that there do be lotsa pissed off peoples leaving that theater every night who walked in there to see a "new musical" as promised on the signage.

BwayBaby2000 Profile Photo
BwayBaby2000
#7Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:13am

what's strange is that equity works so hard to get more members... remember that strike at the American Girl Place Theater-- because THOSE actors really needed to go equity in a doll store.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#8Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:41am

I doubt this ruling will prevent the show from being considered a New Musical but there's always hope...

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#9Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 10:15am

I meant primarily for the actors/dancers. Not like any of them would be nominated or anything, but is it a requirement that nominees be members of Equity? Was Swan Lake 12 or so years back represented by Equity when Adam Cooper was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical? (And that production won Best Direction of a Musical... A MUSICAL? Since when is Swan Lake a MUSICAL? Silly rulings...)

~Steven

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 11:10am

Jordan, I can understand where you're coming from with the whole notion that it is not a musical and that it is an evening of dance. Hell, if we are looking back at Tharp's recent shows on Broadway, I wouldn't consider Movin Out to be a musical either ( didn't see the Bob Dylan one so I can't comment on that one) and I would consider it more to be a rock ballet.

However, I do think that based upon seeing Come Fly With Me and Movin Out that these shows do blur the line of what would be considered both a musical and a show that can be an equity show.

Both shows have an actual singer sing some or in the case of Movin Out, all of the songs. Now, I do understand that there is mostly prerecorded vocals in Come Fly With Me that is being used in conjunction with the onstage band. However, you could argue it not being a musical because it doesn't provide the traditional components of a musical. IE the cast bursting out into song during the show. So, I guess you can try to figure out if this is a musical or not.

I guess you can use this show as as way to give an example of what would be considered equity and what wouldn't be. I do think that it all comes down to casting and how they place different people. For example, in Come Fly Away, there is a singer who comes out and does sing some of the songs. Now, yes, a good huge 99 per cent of the show is pre recorded Sinatra vocals. But, she does come out and sing some of the songs.

I do know that a requirement for a show' cast to be covered under equity is that it has to have some singing or speaking coming from the cast on that stage. This is why for example, something like Blue Man Group would never be considered and equity show, the cast never speaks. But, in Come Fly Away, I guess it all comes down to if the person is band or cast.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#11Actor's Equity Withdraws from Come Fly Away
Posted: 4/10/10 at 1:53pm

There's a lot more going on than that short statement.
I believe I read that the dancers want more credit (and $) for their input. It seems Equity was the bigger (Wo)man here abd said, you guys work it out yourselves, we tried to help. Equity is the strongest of the two unions, but with a Twyla show, trying to follow any rules is crazy, she rehearses when and where she sees fit.

Videos