pixeltracker

Why did the Patti LuPone "Oliver" flop?

Why did the Patti LuPone "Oliver" flop?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1Why did the Patti LuPone "Oliver" flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 9:18pm

To those who were around then...what made this production a 17 performance flop? It just seems like such a great idea on paper. Why was it such a failure?

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#2Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 9:28pm

maybe it just wasn't the right time. i don't think it was due to her, if that's what you are asking? was she panned?

"it's a dirty little war"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 10:03pm

She was great. Lusty, bawdy, funny and vulnerable. I guess the production was a little stale. I loved it, though.

Here she is, singing "As Long As He Needs Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-B9zl0SFz8

And here is "It's a Fine Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV2byATUTQc

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#3Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 10:07pm

^ thanks for posting those.

"it's a dirty little war"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 10:13pm

Stale or not, there had to be something that caused it to flop like it did. It's not like it limped along for a few months...it barely played two weeks.

Thanks for posting the videos, though. She looks great.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 10:31pm

One of the Urchins told me she beat them,
and Child services closed it down.
Just a story of course but it's a good one.
Wasn't Sarah Litzinger, future Belle, Bet?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 10:38pm

Didn't flops just flop back in the day, instead of running for a year? Couldn't it have just bombed, without any real esoteric meaning behind it?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#7Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 10:58pm

It came in right at the end of the season without a lot of advance publicity. Even so, it is such a well loved title and Patti was still hot from EVITA so everyone expected it to run. An then it abruptly closed. Around the same time there was a short-lived revival of THE WIZ. These two plus the failure of the MAME revival a few months earlier and the 1-performance flop of a revival of TAKE ME ALONG the following season more or less put an temporary end to big musical revivals.

To add perspective EVERYTHING was failing. Broadway was not a tourist friendly area. Half the theaters were dark. THE RINK and BABY barely lasted 6 month each. There were not a lot of big box office hits, (LA CAGE was one of the few) and it did not turn around until LES MISERABLES arrived in 1987 followed by PHANTOM in 1988 and MISS SAIGON in 1991.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

husk_charmer
#8Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 11:04pm

Weren't the reviews pretty terrible, as well? And hadn't it toured heavily (like The Wiz and Mame)?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 11:06pm

Thanks, frontrowcentre2!! Very interesting.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#10Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 11:39pm

To add perspective EVERYTHING was failing. Broadway was not a tourist friendly area. Half the theaters were dark. THE RINK and BABY barely lasted 6 month each. There were not a lot of big box office hits, (LA CAGE was one of the few) and it did not turn around until LES MISERABLES arrived in 1987 followed by PHANTOM in 1988 and MISS SAIGON in 1991.

And people were dying. Getting sick and dying. Beautiful people. Talented people. Wonderful people. Friends. Colleagues. Lovers. Tricks. Crushes. Mentors. Teachers. Stars. Stars-to-be. Supporting players. Audience members. And nobody knew why. And nobody knew how to stop it or what to do when it hit you or when it would end or IF it would end. And the government and the media ignored us. What? Oliver closed? Oh, too bad. No, she was good. Did you hear who died last week? Yeah--it was quick. I know you didn't know--he didn't want anyone to know he was sick.

FunnyGirl617
#11Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 11:47pm

according to wikipedia: "The show only received one negative review; unfortunately it was from Frank Rich of the New York Times, and it prompted one of the main backers to pull out."

jimmycurry01
#12Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/23/10 at 11:57pm

That may be a fact, but never start any thing with "According to Wikipedia" without taking a grain of salt first. Who knows who actually wrote that and put it on there.
Pal Joey makes the best point for pretty much all of Broadway for most of the 80s.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/24/10 at 1:25am

I have to say that clip of "It's a Fine Life" is pretty awful. She's sleepwalking through the number, and the conductor is racing the tempo so fast she doesn't have much choice.

Did they forget to actually do the music? Or did they just "mark" all the songs really fast, like this?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#14Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/24/10 at 6:43am

PalJoey: Your description of the difficult times of the 1980's is very poignant and of course true. Broadway was devastated by AIDS. I attended the very moving memorial service for Larry Kert at the Winter Garden. Very sad.

It really took Disney and the overhaul of the New Amsterdam to turn things around, along with the BIG musicals from London which Front Row Center points out.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 4/24/10 at 06:43 AM

MusicalLover6 Profile Photo
MusicalLover6
#15Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/24/10 at 11:59am

Apparently, on an old Patti LuPone site, there was a bit she wrote up about it. The director was always changing things like mad, and he wasn't happy with the lead so he fired the kid the week of rehearsals. It sent everyone in a tizzy (because with how the show was going, everyone was afraid who was going to be sacked next).

Otherwise, that's all I really know.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#16Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/24/10 at 12:08pm

Well put, Pal Joey. The story of the end of Michael Bennett's shuttered musical-in-progress, Scandal, is such a fascinating story that resonates so deeply with the AIDS crises of the 80s and how it tore through Broadway.

With Irma you gotta do something!

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17Why did the Patti LuPone 'Oliver' flop?
Posted: 4/24/10 at 12:44pm

Not to turn this thread around but I was 14 years old at the time and in the closet. It scared me to think that if I ever acted upon my feelings that I could die. Back then in it was (wrongfully) known as a "gay disease".

Videos