pixeltracker

** PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD **- Page 3

** PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD **

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#50PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:30pm

Katie Finneran is garnering a pretty impressive set of reviews.

She could very well be looking at her second Tony in a race with Angela Lansbury that people had been declaring all but insurmountable before.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#51PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:31pm

As strong as Finneran's reviews are, none of them scream "Tony award" to me, including Brantley's.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#52PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:32pm

I'll just keep my mouth shut about Finneran.

These reviews are a lot more negative than I expected. Too bad. I had fun, flaws and all. The main issue with this production is Chenoweth though, IMO. Nice to see most critics have good things to say about Hayes. I saw shades of Jack in his performance but I really don't think he RELIED on his Jack shtick to make it work. He did a lot more of that in DAMN YANKEES. But even that worked. Honestly, if he makes me laugh (which he does) I don't really care how he does it. He's very funny, charming, and upstages Broadway vet Chenoweth in this production. That says a lot. Updated On: 4/25/10 at 10:32 PM

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#53PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:34pm

As negative as that was, he did call Turkey Lurkey Time "smartly reinvented"...although right after he called the dancers boring looking...

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#54PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:35pm

Really? Brantley's review screams nothing if not "Tony for Finneran." Haven't seen the production (3 weeks away!), but am VERY excited to see Ms. Finneran, whose work I've always admired, and was quite excited when her name was announced for this production. Would love to see her win a Tony for this.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#55PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:35pm

adamgreer, Brantley devotes three paragraphs to Finneran. One at the beginning:

“'Promises, Promises,' which features a book by Neil Simon and songs by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, comes fully to life only briefly, at the beginning of its second act, when a comic volcano named Katie Finneran erupts into molten hilarity. Otherwise the white-hot charms this musical is said to have once possessed are left sleeping."

And two more to close:

"Nothing in the languorous first act prepares you for the jolt of energy that begins the second. That’s when Ms. Finneran shows up as a singles-bar stalker named Marge, a molting flamingo of a woman whose pickup line is that she is not a pickup. When Marge homes in on Chuck, the evening’s first sparks are struck, and we are reminded that sexual desperation can be very, very funny.

Doing the freshest variations I’ve seen in years on over-the-top, deluded drunkenness, Ms. Finneran and Mr. Hayes turn their single shared number, “A Fact Can Be a Beautiful Thing,” into a showstopper you wish would never end. Ms. Finneran is on view for only, say, a quarter of an hour. I can’t be sure exactly, because it’s true that time not only flies but also stretches deliciously when you’re having fun. That means that once Ms. Finneran exits, it’s all too easy to count the remaining minutes."

How does that NOT scream Tony? Updated On: 4/25/10 at 10:35 PM

LindaTNo1
#56PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:36pm

People have to let go of Jack McFarland. It is not Sean Hayes problem. It is people's problem. Sean Hayes has let go and so it is the people, ie. New York Times, Toronto Star among these other so-called weak minded critics who obviously are looking narrow minded one-sided themselves. People can't let go and see beyond Sean as Jack. It is people who have this kind of narrow minded problem.

Reviews are mixed. Mixed only. I choose to not believe these so called media critcs because they only see things from their side and have their own opinions that everyone is not going to go along with. Sean and Kristin got some very positive and wonderful things said. Consider the source with some of these weak and not proficient critics. Sean Hayes is the best and he does have range and depth, if people would be open-minded enough to have a clearer vision. Some critics seem to prefer plays over musicals anyway and that is OK.

Go Sean - Get that Tony and prove everyone wrong! If I could vote, I would vote for Sean Hayes.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#57PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:39pm

adamgreer, what else could Brantley have said that would "scream" Tony Award about Finneran? I haven't seen him doll out praise to a performer that profusely in a while.

In fact, Brantley wasn't even as gushing about Lansbury, who he loved. Most of his praise for her was directed at how wonderful it was to see her doing the particular material given to Madame Armfeldt, where as he goes all out nuts for Finneran's actual performance.

I concede that Finneran obviously has the benefit of looking terrific by comparison considering everything else around her, but this certainly makes things all the more interesting.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/25/10 at 10:39 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#58PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:42pm

First let's see who wins the Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, and Drama League. Although that can mean next to nothing sometimes. Last year Haydn Gwynne won the OCC and Drama Desk but lost the Tony.
Updated On: 4/25/10 at 10:42 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#59PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:44pm

Brantley's review of Finneran's performance was virtually a love letter. She's getting uniformly unanimous praise for her performance for anyone to even suggest that she isn't a serious contender for this year's Tony Award for Best Supporting Actress is in major denial.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#60PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:45pm

^ it can also mean next to nothing if it goes to someone not even eligible for a Tony, like the year Christine Ebersole won everything when Grey Gardens was Off-Broadway.

(not that I think that'll be the case this year, but still)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#61PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:46pm

Reviews are mixed. Mixed only.

Girl, you're either not comprehending what you are reading, not reading the reviews at all or are in denial over the reviews.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#62PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:59pm

The Toronto Star seems to have nailed is squarely. This was a series of failed promises.

These folks had to really work hard to screw this up. They didn't just fail, the uber-failed. Wrong casting, wrong choreography, wrong direction, wrong premise for Gawd's sake.

And at every step along the way, they had to option to fix the problems. They must have known they had massive problems for weeks now. Were they watching the show? Had they seen the original?

Were people replaced? No. Was the director released, er, fired? No.

David Merrick, producer of the original production would NEVER have let this mess open with such obviously correctable problems. We know that for a fact. Merrick was an SOB (this show really needed one) who closed shows in previews. He fired directors, replaced stars, brought in ghost writers and new composers. He got the job done.

And this show was not a new work. It's a damn revival.

The picture of Kristin Chenoweth which accompanies the New York Times review is an excellent example of what's wrong here. She looks like Livia in "I Claudius." That hair style gives her a 23-head. How on earth could the producers not have at least fired the wig maker?

And the fact that the second star gets raves over one of the most accomplished actresses working on Broadway today shows the show is terribly miscast.

What happened to the broken ankle?

It's a good, old-fashioned reliable technique to parachute a miscast or in-over-their-head star out of a show, leading to the last minute arrival of someone who either fits the part better (for one star) or knows how to sing for the other.

This show literally was screaming "Break a leg" and nobody in the front office was listening.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

musicalman2
#63PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:04pm

I want to also remind everyone who spends their time bashing Brantley, that despite his love of Chenoweth, he clearly did not give her a good review here. It's very easy to toss off his reviews for convenience sake but I think he frequently hits the nail on the head and did here.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#64PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:07pm

....and may I add that this show had the LUXURY of almost a WHOLE MONTH of previews, back in the day shows didn't have that luxury...new or old. They had PLENTY of time to work out the kinks.

I'm not surprised by any of these reviews, disappointed....yes, surprised....no.
Updated On: 4/25/10 at 11:07 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#65PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:14pm

Although Brantley did love Katie Finneran (and he surely did love her), it did sound more to me like she was a bright spot in a dreadful production. Because she was the only thing actually good in the show. That, for sure, is contributing to her wonderful reviews. Either way, good for her!

I'm confused as to how Brantley thinks "Turkey Lurkey Time" is "smartly reinvented" but the dancers "don't seem to be having any fun." Huh?

~Steven

FindingNamo
#66PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:14pm

That giant vein in the middle of Kristin Dawn's forehead must be throbbing right about now.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

WiCkEDrOcKS
#67PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:17pm

PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Updated On: 4/25/10 at 11:17 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#68PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:18pm

After being nominated for a Razzie in three different films on the same year, I'm sure she can take anything.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#69PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:23pm

Linda:
that is basically what I was saying about Sean and Jack McF, but Roscoe did have some good points about it. To me, it was just such a recognized role for him from fans of Will&Grace and it is very hard not to let go of and some people don't want to. It is almost like people expect to see Jack, so I can see how it can be frustrating for Sean too. It is almost like has to work harder to shed that image. but...there were negative reviews, not just mixed, sadly. i think it had to do with casting. what is the take on Tony Goldwyn?

adamgreer:
i agree with most on "how does that not scream Tony nomination?"

Brantley only contradicted himself with the Turkey Lurkey comment. but it was a huge contradiction.

"it's a dirty little war"

WiCkEDrOcKS
#70PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:23pm

She needs to cut back on the injections of whatever the hell she's getting.

I love her to death but the marquee at the Broadway Theater should read:
SEAN HAYES, KRISTIN CHENOWETH, AND KRISTIN CHENOWETH'S VEINY FOREHEAD in 'PROMISES, PROMISES'

Work that default, Marquise.
Updated On: 4/25/10 at 11:23 PM

Ryan4
#71PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:35pm

I thought Hayes was basically just recycling the same shtick he did on Will & Grace. So many line readings sounded like they came out of Jack McFarland's mouth, and a lot of the gumby-like physical comedy was similar as well. And never for a moment did I believe he was in love with Fran.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#72PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:36pm

I loved Brantley's line about Hayes and Chenoweth feeling more like brother and sister than anything else. So true.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#73PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:38pm

John Simon is Negative, not even liking Finneran!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aAGTY49Brrmk

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#74PROMISES, PROMISES OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:50pm

Huge letdown for me. I've been in love with this show ever since I discovered Burt Bacharach and his music. I've been longing for a major Broadway revival from the night I saw the material finally unfold before my eyes in that amazing 1997 concert staging at City Center starring Martin Short, Kerry O'Malley, Terrence Mann, Christine Baranski and Dick LaTessa.

This came much too late...it should have been transferred in 97 with that wonderful cast at the height of the Bacharach musical resurgence.

I doubt very seriously that this will ever get another major Broadway revival after this misguided effort.

Now I'm just wondering after all these mostly negative reviews if this show will continue to run or will everyone just cut their losses and just call it a day.

Videos