pixeltracker

Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?- Page 2

Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#25Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 1:21pm

I don't think Betty White is an ideal choice for the role, but I definitely wouldn't call her the definition of cute. Have you ever seen her on Craig Ferguson? She's got a sharp, dirty sense of humor. Sure she's adorable, but her sense of humor is pretty far from cute.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#26Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 2:16pm

Okay, my first reaction was "too cute too cute too cute!" But we shouldn't underestimate her. She is a total pro and when given the chance, turned in some fine dramatic performances. In the end, it's all speculation till we see but I think this could be really interesting.

#27Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 2:19pm

It's an acting job- it's not is she a bitchy woman, it's can she play one. She'd definitely bring people to the theater to see what she does with it.

And while she never had the "sexpot" image, in her prime she was a hottie- linked to some of the most desirable men. Coming in second to Liz Taylor is nothing to be ashamed of.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#28Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 3:51pm

I'm in the minority, I thought it a great idea from the minute I read it. I recall her in WOMAN OF THE YEAR, the only consumate musical comedy actor to play Tess, and the only one of the three remotely believable as a real telejournalist. I think this is actually inspired. It will take the precious old late component of out of the material. And she will absolutely look right, though I bet they adjust the Lansbury costuming. Really, forget her wholesome thing -- that was a lifetime ago. She's quite a feisty and charming woman in her late 70s. I think it will add some real juice to the show. And I bet she'll play it her way.

By the way, won't Frederick have to go, too, per Equity exhange rules? I would think a changeover of Desiree would be a good time to replace him.

Couldn't Ebersole be believable with Reynolds as her Mama?

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/3/10 at 03:51 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#29Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:25pm

I have to laugh at people who think the audience wouldn't be able to get over Debbie Reynolds's past as a "cute" actress, but think that they could do that with Betty White. Yes, Betty White can be quite dirty in her comedy, take a look at her roast of Shatner, but 99% of the audience would be going in expecting to see Rose from the The Golden Girls. That is hardly any less "cute" than audiences going in expecting to see any of Debbie's prior personas.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:28pm

How's about a one miss Betty Bacall in that role?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#31Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:34pm

Don't you think she must've been considered and rejected (or turned down) at some point? She's such an obvious choice for any grande dame, I have to assume she's been approached or discussed.

I'd rather see someone else.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#32Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:39pm

Betty is probably too batty for a Broadway run.

Jordan Catalano
#33Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:44pm

When did being too batty ever stop an actress from going into a show?

Midnight Radio
#34Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:49pm

Time to call in the big guns

Jordan Catalano
#35Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:50pm

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#36Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:54pm

"Glaaadiator..."

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#37Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:56pm

Here's a photo of Margaret Hamilton in the role:

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#38Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 5:58pm

Saw Ms. Hamilton at the Kennedy Center. Quite understated and elegant.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#39Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 6:00pm

My first reaction when I heard Debbie was interested was: Oh well, she's sung Sondheim -- "I'm Still Here" in POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE.

Then I remembered: Whoops, that was Shirley playing Debbie. Ah, life, art, Hollywood.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 6:08pm

Now, Shirley, on the other hand, might make a brilliant Mme. Armfeldt.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 6:12pm

I would kind of like to see Cloris Leachman do it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#42Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 6:12pm

Shirley would be fantastic ... and she would never do it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#43Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 6:14pm

And the idea of Liz Taylor just scared the hell out of me.

The movie Desiree playing "Mama" on stage.

Talk about "Now where was I, where was I ... Oh, sh*t!"

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#44Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 6:21pm

Every convincing Desiree or Madame Armfeldt that I've seen has had or been able to affect an innate European sensibility.

As much I like Reynolds, it is hard for me to see where she has the stretch to bring that very important element to the role.

I recall watching WILL AND GRACE and every time Reynolds played Grace's mother I would think.."wait.. isn't Grace Jewish?" Not matter what she plays.. she comes off as a variation of white-bread, Episcopal, middle-America. Ever see her A CATERED AFFAIR?

Sure.. she can sing the song and play to the audience. But my guess is Reynolds in the role would be like seeing PACIFIC OVERTURES cast with white people. Sure it can and has been done, but an authenticity is missing.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 5/3/10 at 06:21 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#45Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 7:10pm

Cloris Leachman was on Chelsea Handler's show the other night and she just doesn't have it together anymore, I doubt she could act on stage anymore, she couldn't follow what was going on on the show at all.
I love the idea of Shirley MacLaine and Maggie Smith. I'm really intrigued about their pick for Desiree.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Brick
#46Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 7:13pm

"
Every convincing Desiree or Madame Armfeldt that I've seen has had or been able to affect an innate European sensibility. "

I agree. So, All-American.

But Shirley MacClaine somehow sounds perfect! And yes, Maggie would be divine.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#47Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 7:53pm

I've always thought of Shirley as a character actress, even though she was a quirky leading lady. She does have a bit of a European sensibility (perhaps from one of her former lives?). While she kinda sucks with accents, she doesn't suck at playing all sorts of characters, rich or poor, comedy or drama.

Debbie Reynolds was and is a personality. A megastar in her day, and she was the best Debbie Reynolds there ever was. Still is. She has a huge presence, and a very likable one at that.

The closest I've seen her play "out of her skin" was in "Mother." And she was still Debbie Reynolds as Mother, for the most part.

I don't deny that she would be entertaining and engaging as Mme. Armfeldt, and she would sell tickets. She would not, however, "embody" the role. It would clearly be Debbie Reynolds on stage.

The producers wouldn't care about any of that. They would likely stop at "Debbie Reynolds would sell tickets," and leave it at that.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#48Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 8:04pm

She would most certainly bring "some" attention to the show and of course she would do the talk show circuit reminding the public that A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC is still a ticket buying choice.

Another producer's plus is - I'm guessing - she would be less expensive than Lansbury.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 5/3/10 at 08:04 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#49Debbie Reynolds in talks to replace Lansbury in ALNM?
Posted: 5/3/10 at 8:34pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 -- apparently you haven't seen Cloris Leachman's work in countless of recent TV and film projects.

The consummate professional, she keeps to the script and character she's portraying without a problem.

There are countless actors (young AND old) who are ditzy and scatterbrained in real-life but when playing a scripted character, are sensational actors. Cloris is totally off her rocker, but not when she's 'at work'.

Her current work schedule speaks for itself regarding her professional (and employable) work ethics:

The Story of Bonnie and Clyde (2010) (in production) .... Cumie Barrow
Timberwolf (2011) (pre-production) .... Helena Booth
Keep Hope Alive (2010) (TV) (filming) .... Maw Maw
The Fields (2011/I) (post-production) .... Gladys
You Again (2010) (completed) .... Helen
The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure (2010) (completed) .... Dotty Rounder
"Blue Mountain State" .... Professor's Mom (1 episode, 2010)
- Midterms (2010) TV episode (uncredited) .... Professor's Mom
Expecting Mary (2010) .... Annie