pixeltracker

Rant about the Tony nominations here- Page 10

Rant about the Tony nominations here

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#225Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:10am

Can someone explain why Sherie Rene Scott is listed second in almost every official lineup for Best Leading Actress in a Musical? Am I missing something? I thought it was supposed to be alphabetical. Is it just an error?

~Steven

Wayman_Wong
#226Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:13am

Somethingwicked, thanks for your posting about 'Memphis.'

I, too, can understand that we are entitled to opinions, and I'd hardly expect everyone's tastes to agree with mine, but I'm sometimes baffled by the lengths to which folks continue to grind the same ax over and over. If I see a show I don't like, sometimes I choose not to waste my time posting on it. Or if I do, I make my point, and then move on. Maybe I didn't like it as zealously as others, but I'd respect their opinions. I'm not gonna change their minds, any more than they'd change mine.

Regardless of what I think, 'Memphis' is that rare thing: an original book musical on Broadway that has no movie stars or famous title to sell it. It built its audience from square one, and that's a tribute to its creators, cast and crew, a number of whom have worked on it on and off for 6 years. It's gone through tryouts in Massachusetts, the S.F. Bay Area, La Jolla and Seattle. Whatever happens at the awards, it's already a winner, having celebrated over 200 shows on Broadway. Hockadoo!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#227Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:13am

Nathan Lane is giving the same performance in Addams Family he did in The Producers, and people are complaining about his snub.

Could not disagree with this more. His performance in THE PRODUCERS was comic genius. One of the best stage performances I have ever seen, and probably will ever see. In ADDAMS, he is fine, in a role that really isn't PERFECT for him, dealing with a lame script, stupid songs, and bad jokes. But he makes a bunch of the jokes work. Because he is Nathan Lane. His performance in ADDAMS is very different than his performance in THE PRODUCERS. And not nearly as brilliant.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#228Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:15am

I was going to ask if they were alphabetized by show title, but then I realized she would be first in that case. But Playbill has her listed fourth. (although they had a few random orders for other categories)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#229Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:20am

I'm reposting this here, because I completely forgot that rants belong in the Rant thread (hey, at least I didn't start a new thread). Sorry, blaxx.

So I know no one is arguing that The Addams Family is a good show. Well, almost no one. But tt actually bothers me that Addams Family got the nominations it did. While I would have added one nomination (Jackie Hoffman), I don't think it deserved anything for score. It's the same way I felt when that mess of a revival of Guys & Dolls somehow got a Tony nomination for Best Revival of a Musical.

About her Tony nomination, Valerie Harper said, "I now understand what people mean when they say that the nomination itself is a win." In that light, for such a train-wreck of a score to "win" in such a way is just wrong. I'm aware that the category is rather weak this year, but I would have almost rather they just nominate another play, as opposed to Addams.

Sunday in the Park with George, LaChiusa's The Wild Party, Chicago, Grey Gardens, Caroline, or Change, Sweet Charity, Pacific Overtures, Miss Saigon, Side Show - all scores that scored a nomination, yet didn't win. To see The Addams Family join this illustrious group saddens me somewhat.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#230Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:26am

Don't worry, mormonophobic. We can always console ourselves knowing that all thirty (!) composers of the score for Urban Cowboy were nominated.

~Steven

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#231Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:33am

Wow, HeyMrMusic. Just wow. I spend all that time trying to think of examples of great shows that were only nominated, and then you go and do that. And for the record, it wasn't THAT many people involved with Urban Cowboy's score. Only a few...Bob Stillman, Jeff Blumenkrantz, Ronnie Dunn, Jason Robert Brown, Danny Arena, Sara Light, Marcus Hummon, Martie Maguire, Wayland D. Holyfield, Bob Lee House, Carl L. Byrd, Pevin Byrd-Munoz, Roger Brown, Luke Reed, Lauren Lucas, Jerry Chesnut, Jerry Silverstein, Clint Black, James Hayden Nicholas, Tommy Conners, Skip Ewing, Rebekka Bremlette, Dorsey Burnette III, Annie L. Roboff, Charles Daniels, Tom Crain, Fred Edwards, Taz DiGregorio, Jim Marshall, Charlie Hayward, Wanda Mallette, Patti Ryan, Bob Morrison, R.J. Lange and Shania Twain.

Touché sir. Touché!

Brick
#232Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 2:19am

I stand corrected. I thought I might be, and must have read ibdb incorrectly.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#233Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 8:15am

None of the Memphis defenders have addressed the fact that the book is entirely predictable and cliched.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#234Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 8:28am

I,too, am so sick of the same people constantly bashing MEMPHIS..we get it you didn't like it..move the f*ck on and try spending that energy on shows you actually liked

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#235Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 8:35am

Why would the Memphis defenders have to address that? I consider myself a Memphis defender and I agree that the book is not perfect. End of story. I don't go whining about the fact that MDQ also got a Best Book nomination. Good for them.

Justaguy2
#236Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 12:16pm

Can we stop talking about Memphis and talk about what they were thinking nominating MDQ? At the very least, given the season and the fact that it has been able to run for a while, Memphis deserves the nomination. American Idiot seems to deserve the nom as well although I haven't seen it. But MDQ? Really? Best musical? Really? Better than Everyday Rapture, SOS and Come Fly Away? Really? Wow. Sad. I have less issues with Fela getting a best musical nom in spite of its flaws (best sound design? really? that show was so loud and so harsh I almost left...several times...instead I just put tissue in my ears and got through it) but at least it's an interesting show.

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#237Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 1:25pm

I would have like to see Sam Rockwell nominated for Featured Actor in BEHANDING IN SPOKANE

I loved his performance -- I thought it was droll and played perfectly off of Christopher Walken

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#238Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 2:35pm

It's the same way I felt when that mess of a revival of Guys & Dolls somehow got a Tony nomination for Best Revival of a Musical.

Not to change the topic, but "somehow"? There were four musical revivals and four nomination slots. It's really not hard to understand why it got nominated.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#239Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 4:06pm

None of the Memphis defenders have addressed the fact that the book is entirely predictable and cliched.

So, you're saying it's like most musicals.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#240Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 4:40pm

They didn't write it; they just LIKE it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wayman_Wong
#241Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 4:45pm

Adamgreer, the book of 'Memphis' HAS been addressed in thread No. 8. Ljay889 said he thought 'Memphis' told the 'same tired story,' and I asked him to name me another Broadway musical that deals with this same story (i.e., white deejay champions race music; serious interracial romance; bittersweet ending). You posted that you believe 'every single plot turn is entirely predictable.' And I disagree. Nor does it address my question of what other Broadway show tackles this 'same tired story' in terms of what 'Memphis' does.

I'm getting off this train. You hate 'Memphis' and I love it, and never the twain shall meet. Continuing any exchanges in this vein WOULD constitute the 'same tired story.'

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#242Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/5/10 at 4:49pm

Thank the Lord.

Eleah
#243Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/6/10 at 3:35pm

Wayman_Wong, while I enjoyed Memphis, didn't love it nor hate it, but I enjoyed it, I can't help but agree with them that it does have a similar plot. No there isn't a real deejay champions musical type thing, but for your interracial question: hello Hairspray (with Seaweed), West Side Story, or even Once on this Island. Many of the songs seem like direct takes from Hairspray (aka the last number is so similar to you can't stop the beat....or the three black ladies number with the three black ladies number). The love story is completely obvious at certain points and some of the dialogue is rather cheesy. Yes, its a fun musical and enjoyable, but it is not the most original thing on the block. Something like Grey Gardens or Light in the Piazza is something original from this newer time.....but Memphis is low down on my list for originality, even if it is enjoyable.
Updated On: 5/6/10 at 03:35 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#244Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/6/10 at 3:57pm

People always compare MEMPHIS to HAIRSPRAY in such an overwhelmingly negative favor, but how is HAIRSPRAY any less cliche-ridden?

The lead character faces adversity, initially triumphs, encounters more set backs, and still comes out on top.

If that isn't "predictable and cliche-ridden," I don't know what is. That doesn't mean the show is any less strong in terms of quality.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#245Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/6/10 at 4:26pm

The lead character faces adversity, initially triumphs, encounters more set backs, and still comes out on top.

If that isn't "predictable and cliche-ridden," I don't know what is.

In other words, like most musicals. When is a musical not predictable or cliche-ridden? Hardly ever.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#246Rant about the Tony nominations here
Posted: 5/7/10 at 2:53pm

Exactly my point, Mister Matt.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.