Fiddler Tour Lately?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#1Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 8:21pm

I saw Harvey on Broadway, but would like to see him in a traditional production not in the hands of a crazy British director. Anyone seen it lately? What kind of shape is it in?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

husk_charmer
#2Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 8:35pm

I saw it in Fort Worth back in March and absolutely loved it. It was Zal Owens' first performance as Motel, and he was totally charming.

Harvey has begun to get a little hammy, but he's still quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 8:46pm

It opens here I Denver next Tuesday night and I will be there. Will give my thoughts after I see it. I am so glad it will be in the Ellie Caulkin's instead of the Buell. The Ellie is more intimate. I have never seen the show onstage so I am looking forward to it.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/12/10 at 08:46 PM

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#3Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:00pm

Just got my tickets for the tour in Seattle (I hope it's good. I've worked as a cover on follow spot for a local production of Fiddler, and it was a long, tedious 3 hours over four days, but I hope sitting in the audience and just watching it will be better).

I was actually most excited about seeing Fierstein again (after we got the premiere of "Hairspray"), but on the tour website it says:

OPENS
CLOSES
CITY
ST
VENUE
4/13/10-5/2/10
Washington
DC
The National
5/11/10-5/16/10
Appleton
WI
Fox Cities
Performing Arts Center

Starring: Theodore Bikel
5/18/10-5/23/10
Denver
CO
Ellie Caulkins Opera House
5/25/10-5/30/10
Seattle
WA
The Paramount
6/8/10-6/13/10
Toronto
ON
The Canon Theatre
6/15/10-6/27/10
Cleveland
OH
Playhouse Square

Sorry about the bad formatting (it's what I got when I copied and pasted), but the way they put it, it looks like we actually might get Theodore Bikel. I wonder if this is true, as I would have actually loved to see Fierstein in it. I know Bikel has played the role before, does anyone know how he is?

And I also think it's a shame because it seems like a lot of tickets were sold here in the Seattle area with Harvey's name all over the tour, and then we might get Bikel (and I don't know, but I think around here, Harvey might be a bigger name. I don't know if many will know that Bikel was the original von Trapp (and not Christopher Plummer).

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:06pm

Choitoy, your listing for Denver at the Ellie Caulkin's is incorrect. It is here May 18th - May 23rd and Harvey will be starring.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#5Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:09pm

OK, it just seemed a little weird on the official tour site. Though of course, those official web sites for the tours sometimes has old or incorrect info on them.

I guess I'll be fine either way, but I sure hope it is Harvey playing here in Seattle.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:17pm

I am not sure what cities he is doing. I was told that he added us so I am Happy! If I think to, I will ask. Although, you should be getting commercials by now. Harvey is in our commercials.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#7Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:41pm

choitoy, I saw Theodore Bikel as Tevye...probably about 10 years ago, possibly more, and I remember him being really amazing. He's been playing the role on and off forever.

JMVR Profile Photo
JMVR
#8Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:45pm

Harvey was good here in DC but hamming it up big time. I say him on Broadway opposite Rosie and I think she kind of made him keep that in check but now he is totally playing it for laughs right up until "Far From the Home I Love". He is funny and def has star presence but if you want nuance and depth, keep the memory of seeing him on Broadway!

The meat is always leaner on somebody else's dinner plate!

Mildred Plotka
#9Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 9:48pm

Harvey isn't doing Seattle? They're certainly promoting it as such.

husk_charmer
#10Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 10:36pm

No, Harvey IS doing Seattle.

Bikel is doing Appleton. He does the smaller markets for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Mildred Plotka
#11Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/12/10 at 11:08pm

Ty, Husk.

When I saw Xanadu the preface in the program said we were getting Harvey Fierstein as Topol.

I had a good 10 minute giggle.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#12Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/13/10 at 2:33am

I live just outside Toronto, and I am a little upset with this tour. So many people bought tickets for the first tour stop with Topel, but then Harvey was called in. And when Toronto embraced Harvey, which made the producers return to Toronto with Harvey because we loved him so, now they change AGAIN. As all the promos for June have been Harvey in Fiddler.

Interesting...

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Mildred Plotka
#13Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/13/10 at 3:06am

Choitoy's copy and paste is misleading. Looks like Bikel is only doing one stop (the one in yellow). Harvey is doing Toronto, fashionguru.

http://www.fiddlerontour.com/itinerary.html

jacobson Profile Photo
jacobson
#14Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/13/10 at 8:24am

Saw Harvey in Atlanta and he was great. Hammy but heartfelt if that makes sense. At the point he was in bed with his wife right before the ghost scene a cell phone rang in the audience. Harvey added to his line that he thought he just heard a phone ringing..then he put his face under the sheets because he was laughing so hard. It was hysterical. Overall we thought he was fabulous, as was the production.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#15Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/13/10 at 1:17pm

I even went the the tour's site, and misread the dates. Thanks Mildred!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16Fiddler Tour Lately?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 2:23am

Just got back from opening night in Denver. A very good production. Debating on a review so I won't say much. But I did like Harvey.

Videos