GREY GARDENS

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#101The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 8:36am

9 to 5
Enron
Ragtime

And while it doesn't qualify as a flop, given it got much deserved rave reviews, it closed far, far too early and was shut out at the Tony's for having the bad luck to open the same season as The Producers:

The Full Monty

kooky
#102The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 8:49am

L E N N O N ...

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#103The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 8:58am

For all the bad things I have to say about it (and now its composer as well due to the passage of time and being screwed over and et al.), I will always have a soft spot in my heart for DOTV.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#104The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 9:52am

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE

Was Xanadu considered a flop? Didn't it recoup? Updated On: 5/25/10 at 09:52 AM

bryan2
#105The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 10:34am

Rags
Big Deal
Big
Raggedy Ann
Triumph of Love
Legs Diamond-horrible but I loved it

WORST FLOP EVER
THE NEWS with Jeff Conaway

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#106The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 10:48am

Wait, you caught Raggedy Ann? Could you give a detailed account of it? I read about it in "Not Since Carrie" and am really fascinated by it!

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#107The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 11:27am

How can you saw The News was the worst flop ever? It has a great score with an unusual sound. Sure, it may have been amateurish but the worst? I am facebook friends with the composer!

I would LOVE to get my hands on some photos of Raggedy Ann. Is there a digital photo archive of Broadway shows out there? I have not found one.

With Irma you gotta do something!

#108The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 6:14pm

I enjoyed both Enron and The Story of My Life very much.

Also loved 9 to 5 and the Ragtime revival. Updated On: 5/25/10 at 06:14 PM

Craww
#109The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/25/10 at 6:24pm

Grey Gardens was certainly the best I've seen, but I haven't seen enough shows for there to be any serious competition.

swinther Profile Photo
swinther
#110The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/26/10 at 1:19am

I haven't seen many Broadway shows, but of the few ... I loved Taboo.

Despite its flaws, I really enjoyed Seussical. There's just something so magical about seeing a show amongst an audience full of children. Their awe is inspiring!

And I wish I'd seen [title of show].
The Flog

bryan2
#111The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/28/10 at 4:23pm

I thought Raggedy Ann was very good..it came up from Washington with good advance notices. The NYC reviews thought it was to creepy for kids and not really and adult show.. I remember Leo Brewmister (incorrect spelling) he was master of the house in the orig Les Miserable and he was funny...the dolls came out from under the bed which i guess would give kids nightmares.
The music from what I remember was good ,,,I still can remember Im just a rag dolly...which was really god

bryan2
#112The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/1/10 at 12:22pm

because your friends with the composer I am supposd to change my mind..They actually cut the intermission because people were walking out. jeff conaway was horrible the man who played the killer or whatever he was (a former che from evita) was good but it was to loud and seemed like a high school production.
I really wanted to like it ..I seldom dislike any shows .I find something in it to like ..(Rags is one of my favorite for example) but I could not....was the composer talented yes, but I didnt love this ..sorry...I hope he is still writing because
he made it to NYC once so that shows he has a hell of a talent.. I actually hated Rent on broadway more than this but it isnt a flop

danaonotlater Profile Photo
danaonotlater
#113The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/1/10 at 12:56pm

Lennon! (oh, how I love that show)
Ragtime Revival
9 to 5
All Shook Up

I also really enjoyed High Fidelity.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#114The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/1/10 at 1:41pm

Bryan: I wasnt trying to change your mind. Especially not by saying I have become familiar with the composer which, btw, happened nearly a decade after I heard the score. I know it was amateurish but I have heard from people who saw it that it competes with Rags, Smile and Baby as one of the most underrated musicals of the 80s. That is why Im surprised its theworst you've seen. Would love to see some research on The News and Mail in "Not Since 'In My Life'."

With Irma you gotta do something!

Joe Mike
#115The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/6/10 at 12:49pm

ROZA -- a wonderful show with a brilliant performance by Georgia Brown.

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#116The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/6/10 at 1:19pm

Grey Gardens
Caroline or Change
Passing Strange

I was trying to think what they have in common besides wonderful scores and fabulous leading performances (from Ebersole, Pinkins and Breaker). One thing that fascinates me is that their characters all suffer from disillusionment and while they have some breakthrough insights into their lives, their stories don't have typical happy resolutions; in the end, they just go on.
All three shows end on a certain wistful note and they haunted me for weeks after. Trite happy endings that tie up everything in a neat package can be momentarily satisfying, but are ultimately more forgettable. Happy (or otherwise) endings don't happen in real life--there is no "ending" until your dead.

NDR
#117The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/7/10 at 9:40am

The Pirate Queen (should have closed for a couple months and re-opened with some major changes - but it had some beautiful music, performances, costumes and lighting.)

9 to 5

vinnylin Profile Photo
vinnylin
#118The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 6/7/10 at 1:50pm

The Doyle "Company" Revival.

"This is wanting something, this is reaching for it, This is wishing that a moment would arrive. This is taking chances, this is almost touching, what the beauty is." --The Light in the Piazza