pixeltracker

NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??

NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:05pm

I'm guessing the plans fell through? Just saw an ad that said MUST CLOSE JUNE 20TH. And the website now says it's playing it's last performance on the 20th.

I guess we won't be seeing Bernadette and Elaine? Too bad. NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:07pm

I was thinking about that the other day. Rumors are often just that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:10pm

Those ads have been up for weeks. If the deals fall through, we will hear about it.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:15pm

As of today, the decision is still being made.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:20pm

Are they working out the schedule/contractual details? Or still trying to get Peters and Stritch to sign?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#5NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:30pm

I don't know what step they are on. I just know that a decision hasn't been made yet. The cast is still waiting to find out the news themselves.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:34pm

The ads that say "MUST CLOSE" are old, prior to the negotiations with Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch. Additionally, often those ads are prepaid to contractually end on a certain date. Sometimes it's week-to-week, other times month-to-month, but can really be any designated of length. Even if the show were extended or they canceled the closing date, the ad may not be taken down right away.

That being said, the production as of the date of this posting is still officially set to close on June 20. (Until they announce Bernie/Stritchy because I still have hope that it'll happen!)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#7NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 9:54pm

I'm worried about how much rehearsal time they're going to have, assuming (and PRAYING!) it's true.

I hope they announce something soon.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:01pm

^The latest round of rumors seems to indicate that there might be a hiatus of 1-2 weeks before the new stars take over.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:16pm

I was under the impression one of them had already signed.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#10NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:20pm

I think a hiatus of at least one week is likely (if because of Peter's concert schedule if anything else) but it should probably be noted that as these things go, hypothetically, I don't have any doubt Peters and Stritch could probably learn the roles in a couple of weeks and be ready to go on the 22nd. Desiree and Madame Armfeldt are actually pretty 'small' roles as far as leading lady roles in musical theatre go. There are huge stretches of the show when neither is on stage and neither sings much. Both Peters and Stritch have had to learn FAR more material in less time for their concert /cabaret careers. Learning the parts in NIGHT MUSIC would be a piece of cake for them.

Jordan Catalano
#11NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:27pm

And if both have known for some time they were stepping into the roles Im more than sure they've been learning their lines, going over the music and learning the show to ensure minimal actual rehearsal time is needed.

Michael Bennett
#12NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:30pm

Absolutely. And I bet ten bucks Bernadette already knows 'the song'

Jordan Catalano
#13NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:33pm

I'm more concerned with Stritch learning to play solitaire.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#14NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:35pm

I'd bet $10.50 that Bernie has been perfecting that song since it was written.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Michael Bennett
#15NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:36pm

She might throw her cards on the floor a little earlier than Lansbury did. Like on scene two. At Fredrika.

Jordan Catalano
#16NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:38pm

"Get your God Damn Tits Off my chair!!"

Michael Bennett
#17NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 10:43pm

A quick google search brings up the fact that Peters once performed "Send in the Clowns" on the tonight show. So she has parts of two other songs to learn and maybe 100 lines. She could totally go on by the 22nd. Just sayin.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#18NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:09pm

Peters has DEFINITELY performed the song before. She's in the freakin' Clowns video in Sondheim on Sondheim.

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#19NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:13pm

Well, I am hearing the complete opposite. A friend of mine came up to me (in what seemed like a life-or-death situation) and screamed at me..."OMG did you hear, they confirmed...contracts are signed...Stritch and Peters are set for NIGHT MUSIC"...and I trust him very much, cause he has done Broadway for years and has worked all over the world....

But we will see when Press-release's are sent out.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:25pm

if everything was set, why wouldn't they have announced it yet?

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#21NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:27pm

don't know...just saying...we will see, I mean I could be completely wrong...but trusting what he said cause he is very respected in the Broadway community and around.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:29pm

Well I sure hope everything is set, so hopefully your friend is right!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#23NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:29pm

Well, if they have signed the contracts, the cast doesn't know about it yet. That seems odd to me.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#24NIGHT MUSIC is closing for sure??
Posted: 6/3/10 at 11:32pm

^The cast is almost always the last to find out about these things.