Fela! - D
Come Fly Away - B+
Promises, Promises - B
Million Dollar Quartet- D-
Memphis - A
La Cage aux Folles - B+
A Little Night Music - C-
American Idiot - F

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

sundayclothes2
#26Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 3:22am

For all of you complaining about Finian's Rainbow not winning, stop blaming it on the producers of the TONYS. IT is the producers of FINIANS who chose not to put up the money for them to perform. The TONYS offered them a slot.

The Opening Number - B
Ragtime - C (I thought it was pretty bad...and I loved the show)
Fela! - D (way to ruin a great opportunity)
Come Fly Away - B
Promises, Promises - C
Million Dollar Quartet - B-
Memphis - B+
La Cage aux Folles - B-
A Little Night Music - D
American Idiot - B
Glee performance(s) - B

Overall: B-

Not great but not that awful.
Updated On: 6/14/10 at 03:22 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#27Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 3:34am

The Opening Number(Not judging the sound, just the performance)
B
Ragtime B-
Fela! B-(way better than the show itself)
Come Fly Away B(better than the show itself)
Promises, Promises A
Million Dollar Quartet C
Memphis B+
La Cage aux Folles D
A Little Night Music C
American Idiot F
Glee performance(s) A

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#28Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 4:43am

Best Performance: Christiane Noll for RAGTIME.
Worst Performance: Too many ties.

The Opening Number this year was terrible. It became a freaking GREEN DAY concert.

At least last year, you actually had casts of the shows singing together like LUCK BE A LADY mixed in with TONIGHT, Bret Michaels' hot mess of lip synching, Stockard Channing and Aaron Tveit in a bizarre duet from next to normal and PAL JOEY, Liza Minelli being...well, Liza and the cast of HAIR closing the number with LET THE SUN SHINE IN.

I thought last year's opening was a dud but compared to this year's? Last year's deserves its own Tony.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#29Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 7:04am

The Opening Number- D+
Ragtime- A+
Fela!- D
Come Fly Away- D
Promises, Promises- C-
Million Dollar Quartet- D
Memphis- F
La Cage aux Folles- D+
A Little Night Music- C+
American Idiot- F
Glee performance(s)- C-

It was a dire program overall. Updated On: 6/14/10 at 07:04 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#30Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 7:38am

Anyone who thought Noll's performance was the best of the night is clearly biased. Her pitch was all over the place. I just went back and watched it again on my DVR, and she sounds so pitchy and so strained. I am sorry if you loved the Ragtime revival, but the Tony performance was just not good.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#31Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 7:48am

I thought the opening was decent. Started off strong (Sean playing the piano was amazing), then spiraled down from there.

The best were AMERICAN IDIOT, RAGTIME, and, MEMPHIS, and none of them really grabbed me.

I did not care for LA CAGE at all! Poor choice of song, shoddy camera work, and it could have been saved somewhat if they didn't rip off the wig then have cheesy reactions from the rest of the cast.

CZJ looked like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

kate2
#32Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 10:20am

The Opening Number- C Needed more Sherie, less Green Day
Ragtime- B Though Noll sounded good, it was lackluster
Fela!- F I was unsure if I wanted to see this show, but after that I know to steer clear.
Come Fly Away- C Good dancing, just not my cup of tea.
Promises, Promises- C It was cute, but nothing extraordinary
Million Dollar Quartet- B I didn't expect to like this performance, but it was full of energy and good talent.
Memphis- D I didn't care for their voices, especially Montego
La Cage aux Folles- B It was entertaining and cheerful, which is what it should be!
A Little Night Music- F--- Was this serious?! CZJ sounded HORRIBLE!
American Idiot- B Full of energy and very entertaining
Glee performance(s)- B+ Matthew Morrisson gets an A, Lea gets a B
Updated On: 6/14/10 at 10:20 AM

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#33Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 10:37am

The Opening Number- I didn't get to see all of it, but I saw the last part. It did feel like a Green Day concert at the end. So I can't grade.
Ragtime- A- It was fine, but I would have preferred if they had not cut it so much. I knew as soon as she started singing that it was cut in one way or another.
Fela!- A I liked it. It did feel a little odd at points, but all in all, it was nice.
Come Fly Away- C Am I the only one who felt that this seemed, I don't know, clunky?
Promises, Promises- A I liked it. That's all.
Million Dollar Quartet- D It did nothing for me. It's not my overall kind of music, and I couldn't figure out what they were going for. Seemed not well put together.
Memphis- F I hated this performance. It was bad. It was their voices, and the fact that I don't like the music from this show.
La Cage aux Folles- A- I enjoyed it very much. I don't think they should have had the Cagelles come out. It made it cluttered. And the ending, I didn't like it.
A Little Night Music- B CZJ sounded OK. The jerky head movements distracted me, but it was fine. Did they cut a verse out, or am I crazy?
American Idiot- B It was a nice performance, but the flashing lights hurt my eyes a lot.
Glee performance(s)- A Both were great. Matthew just felt a little off. Just a little. A tad. Lea was great as well.

#34Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 10:54am

To the people who say they don't get why Glee performed, I think it's obvious. Glee, whether you like it or not, brings the performing arts and show tunes into the homes of millions of people who can't afford or just don't want to go to New York. I think it's great the Tonys had them perform. It really added to the night; not to mention it was probably a huge ratings boost.

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#35Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 10:58am

The Opening Number - D+ messy and didn't do any show any good. The Green Day concert went on a little long. Fela's scream was entertaining.
Ragtime - A- Probably the best of the night.
Fela! - C-
Come Fly Away - B
Promises, Promises - B-
Million Dollar Quartet- D-
Memphis - B (i enjoyed it more than i thought i would)
La Cage aux Folles - C+ (dull and lifeless)
A Little Night Music - C-
American Idiot - F (and i like rock musicals)

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#36Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:06am

I watched the opening performance. It was ok. I give it a D. Everyday Rapture was good. Kristin performed well. Everything else was just not good.

NGeorgiaBwayFan Profile Photo
NGeorgiaBwayFan
#37Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:27am

As a person who loves musical theatre, I think the only part of the Tony Awards that wasn't all over the place in a big mess was the presentation of the plays. The descriptions by the actors made me want to see a few of them.

Opening number best part was Sean Hayes' piano performance. All the show snippets were ok, but those technical issues with the sound ruins all of it. On the other hand, I think the musicals all chose the wrong songs and none of their performances inspired me to buy tickets.

Ragtime = B
Christiane Noll might have been a little pitchy as was mentioned above in the thread, but I think she did give the best performance of the night. Too bad that good shows sometimes just don't last. Wish that Bobby Steggert had sung, too.

La Cage = C
I really wanted to like them. I just didn't think it was a very good choice, but it was performed pretty well.

ALNM = D
They should have done Glamorous Life or Weekend in the Country.
CZJ... what happened? What was up with that bobblehead action? Was she looking for Frederik? Wonder if she's still sick? She just didn't look like she felt well. I really felt bad for her because she was truly much better than this at the Kerr.

FELA!, Million Dollar Quartet, Come Fly Away, Promises, Promises, and Memphis = "C- to D" All lackuster as previously stated.

American Idiot = "B", while not my taste in music, at least seemed to represent their show well. I thought everyone else was mediocre at best.

High points, Sean Hayes, Kristen Chenoweth, Bebe & Nathan.
Nice speech by Scarlett Johansen, too.

"Like the good Lord says . . . Ya gotta take the rough with the smooth, Baby!" Madame Rose

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#38Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:52am

I was impressed with Sean Hayes at the piano, but then everything went down hill for me, for most of the evening.

Hayes made a boring host, partly due to his script and partly because he came across as a Wink Martindale Game Show host.

I was extremely disappointed that FINIAN'S RAINBOW was not represented; a show that received such rave reviews should have been highlighted like all the other shows.

I was even disappointed in the LA CAGE segment, and I absolutely loved the show. I was gratified that LA CAGE and the great Douglas Hodge both won TONYS.

Catherine Zeta Jones singing "Send In The Clowns" was dismal. Her lyrics...were...so...far...apart!!!

Angela Lansbury gave a typically dignified acceptance speech for being honored by the League and the Tony Committee..

Denzel Washington gave a lackluster acceptance tidbit--it was underwhelming.

This was the first Tony telecast I have seen in several years and it may be several more years until I tune in again, unless Nathan Lane hosts the show. Lane and Bebe Neuwirth were the highlight of the show for me.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#39Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:57am

American Idiot and Come Fly Away were brilliant and i thought Morrison and Michelle did good

Hated Memphis, Million Dollar and the opening number

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

After Eight
#40Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:04pm

I've seen "All I Need Now Is the Girl" I don't know how many times, and this is the first time I've seen it done badly. The choreography was completly wrong for it, and it seemed like something from a third-rate variety show. Matthew Morrison's voice seemed winded by the end of the number, which shows just how wrong the dancing was for it.

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#41Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:35pm

Matthew was looking a little winded there. Maybe he's just been away from the stage for too long?

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#42Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:40pm

Sean Hayes - C-; he's charismatic (lightly), but out of his league, and not able to get a laugh from bad writing. Also too willing to play the "funny mo."
The Opening Number - D
Ragtime - B (due to ridiculous truncation)
Fela! - C (I admit, I don't get it; it's noisy and energetic, but also unfocused, and the fake sax playing is just ludicrous)
Come Fly Away - B (Twyla's old stick is still fun to watch; too bad she's afraid to work with new music)
Promises, Promises - F (Ashford is a hack)
Million Dollar Quartet - D (why bother discussing a show that's a refugee from Opryland?)
Memphis - B+ (generic, derivative, but the most theatrical piece)
La Cage aux Folles - C (good number in the show, badly done last night; and what was with Will Smith's homophobic meltdown?)
A Little Night Music - B- (it's been done, a lot, and done better)
American Idiot - F (a lot of angry posing)
Glee performance(s)- Morrison: C- (working too hard, no natural charm); Michele: D- (karaoke Streisand impersonation)

SingMeASong
#43Grade the 2010 Tony performances!
Posted: 6/14/10 at 12:48pm

Very underwhelmed. Memphis....interesting....