pixeltracker

MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins

MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 6:23pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MEMPHIS_Box_Office_Sales_Jump_After_Tony_Wins_20100614

Last night, Memphis took away the 2010 Tony for Best Musical. The show also won honors for Best Book Of a Musical, and Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre.

Today, BroadwayWorld.com checked with the show's representatives, who tell us that the show has already seen box office sales that are four times higher than on a normal Sunday/Monday. That good news is sure to have producers 'Hockadoo-ing'!

From the rockin' dance halls of Memphis, Tennessee comes this hot and bothered new Broadway musical with heart, soul and energy to burn. Set in the turbulent south in the 1950s, it is the story of Huey Calhoun, a white radio DJ whose love of good music transcends race lines and airwaves. Get ready to experience all the exuberance and the emotion... the beauty and the controversy... of a wondrous, defining time in our history. You're tuning in to Memphis, so turn up that dial!

MEMPHIS features a brand new score with music by Bon Jovi's founding member/keyboardist David Bryan and lyrics by Bryan and Joe DiPietro (I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change), who also pens the musical's book. Bryan and DiPietro also collaborated on the current award-winning off-Broadway hit, The Toxic Avenger. MEMPHIS is based on a concept by the late George W. George (producer of the Tony nominated Bedroom Farce and the film My Dinner With Andre), with direction by Tony nominee Christopher Ashley (Xanadu) and choreography by Sergio Trujillo (Jersey Boys).

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 6:25pm

Congrats!

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#2MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 6:46pm

Hockadoo!

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 7:44pm

as expected, good for them!!! They should see a nice solid bump in sales throughout the summer.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DRSLOL776 Profile Photo
DRSLOL776
#4MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 8:01pm

YAAYYY for them!! stage door is going to be CRAZY over there for the next few months!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 8:42pm

I picked up tickets for me and my kids for July the morning OF the Tony Awards. On a whim, I checked out the tix for the day I am going. EVERY set of seats I was offered BEFORE the Tonys, were still available at approx 2pm today.

Maybe tix sales REALLY picked up after 2pm.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Scott Briefer
#6MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:08pm

Woohoo Memphis. You deserve this!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#7MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:12pm

Or maybe the show's reps are looking at overall ticket sales and not just one performance in July.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#8MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:15pm

I'm holding out for the movie version starring Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9MEMPHIS Box Office Sales Jump After Tony Wins
Posted: 6/14/10 at 11:20pm

I don't doubt that at all....but it just seemed odd that there was NO difference.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos