My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE

Yankeefan007
#1My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/3/10 at 7:51pm

In short, I enjoyed it far more at the AA Theatre than I did at Second Stage. Somehow, the piece grew a heart, and what originally came off as a cold little Off-Broadway vanity piece is now very moving.

This represents a great deal of growth in Sherie Rene Scott's performance, and now she's all around wonderful. I'm so glad the show was recorded, as we now have an album to preserve the fabulous vocals (with assistance from the Mennonettes, Betsy Wolfe and Lindsay Mendez) and (overlooked) orchestrations. Scott and Dick Scanlan's script shines.

As I felt Off-Broadway, Eamon Foley delivers one of the most well thought-out and well-rounded performances I've seen in quite a while. But now, everything else is up to his level.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#2My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/3/10 at 11:40pm

I saw it today (7/3/10 matinee) and enoyed it. I had not seen it when it was off-Broadway.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/4/10 at 12:46am

Eamon Foley delivers one of the most well thought-out and well-rounded performances I've seen in quite a while.

I think it's a shame they couldn't get him onto the cast recording. He was fabulous and I can't wait to see what comes next for him.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#3My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/4/10 at 6:10pm

I hope to catch this before it closes next weekend. I am hoping they have some more $10 tickets this week (by the time I got to the box office on Thursday afternoon, they were all gone for Saturday night).

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#4My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/4/10 at 11:04pm

"Eamon Foley delivers one of the most well thought-out and well-rounded performances I've seen in quite a while"

Not to be a downer, but is that role that difficult to play? He's only on stage for about 12 minutes, and actually has only a few minutes of dialogue -- the rest is dancing crazily (and hilariously). I enjoyed his performance, but the character doesn't seem that complex.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Frogela
#5My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/5/10 at 1:37am

I agree, Mike.

He is perfect at the role, and nails the humor each night, but I don't know if I'd call his role a "well-thought out performance I've seen in awhile." He delivers the lines well and has more stage presence than anyone, an certainly does the role better than I ever could, but how much is the role itself?

Then again, Brantley and Isherwood wanted him to be nominated for (and win) the Tony for his role, so what do I know.

RentBoy86
#6My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 2:01am

I saw the show tonight after seeing it last year at Second Stage, and I really enjoyed it. It's a shame that Memphis beat it for Best Musical and I think Scott is delivering a great performance and def. deserved to win over Zeta-Jones. It's such a great little musical with some really powerful moments. I love the fact that they mention the words "gay" or "abortion" or anything sort of "shock" words, but you always get what they mean. They don't have to throw it in your face and make it obvious like Memphis does. They sort of just deal with it delicately. And I thought Foley was great, but I wish they had done something to the vocal line. The back-up singers were drowning him out and you couldn't really hear him at all. It just didn't sit well in his voice. And I wish "Killing Me Softly" had made it onto the cast recording.

Did they really want Foley to win a Tony for that? Really? He's great, don't get me wrong, but.... I'm not sure it's a Tony winner.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#7My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 2:15am

I, too, was at the performance last night. Abso-freakin'-lutely LOVED the show. From top to bottom. Rentboy, where were you sitting? Sorry I missed you! Sherie OWNED that stage tonight, as I'm sure she does every other night with this piece. Why she didn't win last month is BEYOND me. As for Mr. Foley, I could hear him just fine. I'll post a full review when I have the time. For now, in short: I laughed (a lot), I cried, I was home by 10. Thank you, Roundabout.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#8My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 3:19am

I loved this show so much.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#9My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 8:49am

It's a shame that Memphis beat it for Best Musical

It wasn't even nominated. It was only nominated for Best Book (which went to M$Q) and Best Actress. I was really pulling for SRS to win best actress but it was a tough category this year with a definite front runner. Had CZJ not made her Broadway debut this season it really would have been anyone's game.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 8:55am

MEMPHIS won Best Book. Not Quartet.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#11My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 9:00am

You're right...I don't know why I was so sure Quartet won more than one award

tgn915 Profile Photo
tgn915
#12My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 9:47am

I saw the show last night, too! I was in the second to last row of the Mezz, perfectly center. It was actually a really great seat.

I saw it when it was Off-Broadway and since then something definitely changed. I don't mean in the book or music... there's just seems to be so much more emotion and connection to the audience. I really loved everyone's performances and agree that Sherie was robbed of an award.

Call me Travis. :)

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#13My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 10:37am

I'm sorry, but I don't get the love for Foley. It is hands down the most over the top performance I have ever seen. Not once did I believe he was honestly lip-syncing, and not once did I laugh. It was as if he had a bunch of friends in the crowd and was just trying to over do it for them. Honestly, I've seen better acting in Frat skits.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#14My thoughts on EVERYDAY RAPTURE
Posted: 7/7/10 at 12:09pm

Saw it about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was OK, wife didn't like it at all. She thought it might be OK off-off Broadway. I just thought it was OK, and glad it wasn't more than 90 minutes.

Videos