Can you recommend a show?

MugRubson
#1Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 12:58pm

I am really confused on what to go and see on Broadway. I enjoy shows with an original score and not songs I hear on the radio. My last trip to NYC I really enjoyed Spring Awakening(my fave show). I am kinda leaning toward "In the Heights" but i'm not 100%. I guess I will just mention my top 5 musicals Ive ever seen and hopefully if you have the time you can give me a suggestion.

Spring Awakening
South Pacific
The Drowsy Chaperone
Les Mis
Phantom

Thanks in advance

Katarina2
#2Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 1:12pm

Hi MugRubson,

"In the Heights" is a really fun show! I highly recommend it. It's got a great score. Also, "The Addams Family," is a great show with a fun story. You mentioned liking "Les Mis" and "South Pacific." I haven't seen the revival of "West Side Story," but I've heard wonderful things about the show.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Katarina :)

MugRubson
#2Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 1:15pm

Much appreciated , Thanks

Katarina2
#3Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:09pm

No problem! Have fun in NYC!! (oh, and if you get the chance, the M&M store is really fun to visit after seeing a show... Can you recommend a show? )

kooky
#4Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:29pm

MEMPHIS ..... if you can get tickets

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#5Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:39pm

Go see IN THE HEIGHTS. It's one of the best if not *the best* show on Broadway right now. You won't regret it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:40pm

In The Heights is great. I saw it a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it! Billy Elliot is one of my other personal favorites. If you haven't seen it I would see that as well. They are both two of my favorite shows.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#7Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:45pm

In the Heights is a really fun show. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Memphis is an original musical with great lighting, set, and choreography. The music gets a little repetitive although it is fun and upbeat. The lyrics aren't exactly high art.

Next to Normal is another original musical. But the subject matter is heavy although executed beautifully.

bwaylvsong
#8Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 3:09pm

Based on your taste, I recommend WSS, too.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#9Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 3:32pm

Since you seem to lean toward classics, I'll recommend a more modern one, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, it's maginificent, it's fun, and Kelsey Grammer and Douglas hodge are amazing performers.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, I highly recommend NEXT TO NORMAL for it's originality and electric score.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#10Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 3:39pm

I would go along with others and see West Side Story. You never know when this show will be back again on Broadway, and if you can catch Jeremy Jordan in for Tony, I would definitely go see it.

BroadwayBound17 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound17
#11Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 3:45pm

Next to Normal!

2011: In The Heights Tour 1/16/11, The Color Purple Tour 2/11/11, West Side Story Tour 3/18/11

Elphaba43
#12Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 4:50pm

La Cage Aux Folles-such a fun show! Beautifully done

A Little Night Music-Bernadette Peters and Elaine Strich, great performers. Musical is classic

West Side Story-dancing is wonderful, the singing in Spanish really gives it that heart wrenching quality. Loved it!

Memphis-won the Tony for best musical for 2010 and I can see why. Great message, great music. Go see it!

I am a bagel on a plateful of onion rolls. If you know what I'm talking about, good. If you don't, you're on your own!

quizking101
#13Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 5:01pm

Didn't they rid of the Spanish lyrics in WSS?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101
#14Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 5:01pm

Didn't they rid of the Spanish lyrics in WSS?

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#15Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 5:07pm

No... I Feel Pretty is still in Spanish, at least as of 2 months ago.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#16Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 7:16pm

In The Heights is a great show. I have seen it twice.

I also highly recommend Next To Normal, Memphis, Jersey Boys and American Idiot.

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#17Can you recommend a show?
Posted: 7/10/10 at 8:01pm

If Spring Awakening is your favorite, I would definitely go with Next to Normal. it is such a beautiful show and has a similar/even better rock-musical score. But if you are looking to see a fun production, go with something else. N2N is a very somber, but moving, show.

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

Videos