pixeltracker

Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film- Page 2

Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#25Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:25am

Is Julia Roberts not far more of a Karen or an Ivy? O_o

Agreed that Kathy Bates MUST play Mattie Fae!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#26Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 8:37am

I think Kathy Bates is too easy a choice for Mattie Fae, I think Jean Smart could really make it work, wonder who they are trying to get for it.
Roberts is completely miscast here, she can be good, really good actually (sorry but she gave a true star turn in ERIN BROCKOVICH and was magnificent playing against type in CLOSER) but Barbara? I don't see it. Laura Linney and Toni Collette would have been the ideal choices for me. They both would have nailed the role. Amy Ryan would have been great too, I'd love to see her play the role on stage some time.
Streep is an incredibly predictable choice, with a good director who's not concerned with her legendary status and who can actually direct her (Something John Patrick Shanley couldn't do in DOUBT), she'll give a fantastic performance. And the criticism about "the wheels turning" is very 1982 indeed, and so unoriginal; few people become the role as much as Meryl Streep, she's one of the greats.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 8:41am

Actually, I think Lesley Ann Warren would be inspired for Mattie Fae, but that will never happen.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

romgitsean
#28Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 9:22am

I agree with ray-andallthatjazz86 completely. Laura Linney or Toni Collette are much stronger contenders. Except for while I don't think Meryl is constantly see her as just acting, there have been instances where I have felt that (i.e, Mamma Mia), however, more recently, in Proof, I didn't get that from her at all.

Here's a casting suggestion that hasn't been mentioned: what about Sigorney Weaver for Barbara? I think Marin Mazzie (!!) or Sissy Spaceck would be a great choice as well. I actually see Piper Laurie playing Violet to a tee, not to mention that already brilliant mother-daughter combination with Piper and Sissy :)

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#29Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 10:36am

I'd be hard-pressed to think of an actor whose gears I'd rather watch spin than Meryl Streep's gears.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#30Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 10:40am

When it was originally rumored that Meryl Streep would be playing Barbara most posters thought she was too young...the same with the leads in "Mamma Mia".

Now she's playing older and Barbara will be played by someone her age. I think Roberts will be great!

And I have ALWAYS thought Kathy Bates would be a great Mattie Fae...or Margo Martindale...or EVEN RONDI REED!
Whoever gets it will probably get nominations for Best Supporting Actress.

Roscoe
#31Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 12:19pm

I'd much rather see Jessica Lange as Violet than the inevitable Meryl Streep. Lange can play flat out MEGA BITCH in a way that Streep just can't come near.

But if we're stuck with that Streep thing, then so be it. I think Linney would be a far better choice than Roberts, as I'd say that Linney is a far better actress, and would be far more convincing as Streep's daughter.

Whatever. If Streep's in it, I doubt I'll bother. What a waste.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#32Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 12:22pm

I just wish Patricia Clarkson could be in it. So much.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 1:02pm

Streep is one of the last actresses I want to see play this role. I like her but don't want to see her as Violet. I won't be seeing this in a theater.

Just give the world Love.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#34Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 1:26pm

Age aside. Other actresses aside.

IT'S MERYL FLIPPIN' STREEP, people.

*Though I'd much rather see Kate Winslet or Cate Blanchett over Roberts. Hopefully, she'll be surprising. She was perfection on ERIN BROCKOVICH.

Roscoe
#35Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 1:32pm

"IT'S MERYL FLIPPIN' STREEP, people."

Yeah. Exactly. Meryl Flippin' Streep. And I'd rather see just about anybody else do it. Sissy Spacek. Sally Field. Diane Keaton. Mary Steenburgen.

Jesus, even the great and glorious Deana Dunagan, whose magnificent performance will certainly not be eclipsed by what MFlippinS will do with it.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Brick
#36Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 2:56pm

Sure, I wish they'd give some other actresses a part besides Meryl, but she'll be wonderful.

And with Julia in it, too, it should get the large audience it deserves.

Sad to hear Mike Nichols is no longer attached, though.

romgitsean
#37Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 3:50pm

Clarkson could not handle the caliber of acting needed for Barbara. No way. I'm slowly gaining respect for Clarkson for an actress after her horrendous performance in the T.V. 2002 version of Carrie, but I seriously doubt it.

It's not that Julia or Meryl can't do it - that's not what I'm saying (nor do many people), but there are so many more deserving actresses. Do I think they'll be good? Yes. It'll just be a bit much. Especially with Meryl. I'd rather keep Julia over Meryl, because I honestly don't see Meryl in this role. She has done many brilliant films and is no doubt a great actress (except for the times where she comes off as trying a little too hard, a la Mama Mia), it just seems like such star-power casting.

I know it's unusual- but she's been getting a lot of work these days- Betty White? I mean, we'd all love to see it. Or even Betty Buckley? (although, she's a bit young, I'll admit)

I personally think the best combination would be Piper as Violet and Sissy as Barbara. But while we're doing seven degrees of Piper Laurie, I think Fairuza Balk is a most underrated actress and could play Violet beautifully.

Additionally, I think Katharine Ross would be a fine candidate for Violet.

Alright, I'll stop brain dumping on this thread. The possibilities are just so endless.

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

Roscoe
#38Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 3:53pm

I think Betty White would rock the universe as Violet, but I think she's alas just too old for it.

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#39Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 4:55pm

With Julia Roberts' mouth and Meryl Streep's ego there may not be room enough left for more Weston's.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 5:01pm

Julianne Moore could play any of the sisters.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#41Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 5:18pm

I enjoy Meryl Streep, but there is no way I am going to see this film and take any chance of her diminishing the memories I have of seeing actress play the part who are, in my opinion, even better than she is - and certainly more hard-working.

And Julia Roberts? Please. She alone is reason enough not to go. I am not going to put myself through a less-than-wonderful Barbara when I saw three excellent actresses play the part onstage.

A definite pass for me.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 5:23pm

BroadwayWorld.com has learned from a Broadway insider that in talks to join the film alongside Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts are none other than Jack Nicholson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman and Mary Louise Parker. We'll bring you more information as it becomes available.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RIALTO_CHATTER_Nicholson_Hoffman_in_Talks_to_Join_AUGUST_Film_20010101

But let's not forget - Broadway world had also learned that Kim Cattrall and John Dossett would be starring in Follies.

FindingNamo
#43Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 5:26pm

"[N]o way I am going to see this film and take any chance of her diminishing the memories I have..."

Is that really how some people's brains work? I can't relate to this way of thinking at all. I have heard others say it in the past. I have seen a LOT of Into the Woodses and they have ranged from the terrific to the not good, but none altered my memory in any way of the OBC.

I have seen lots of Angels in Americas and walked out of one after the first act because it was AWFUL. Not only did it not diminish my memory of Stephen Spinella, it made the memory even fonder.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#44Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 5:43pm

There's a bandwagon I want to jump on:

Betty White for Violet!

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 5:51pm

Sally Field as Violet is a wonderful idea!!!

FindingNamo
#46Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:17pm

I think this is interesting. I honestly don't think it's a very good play so I am surprised people are so wedded to the memory of this play they liked are deciding now not to go see it. Before a frame has been shot. I can't imagine it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#47Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:26pm

Finding, it depends on the circumstance. I feel fairly certain thatt Streep won't measure up to the Violets I've seen, and I can say with all but absolute certainty that Julia Roberts will make me want to hurl popcorn at the screen - especially in comparison to the far better actresses I have seen do the part.

My memories of the play are very dear to me. I just don't want to let predictably cast movie actors affix themselves to those memories in any way.

Not even Kathy Bates could get me into the movie theatre for this one.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Updated On: 10/1/10 at 06:26 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#48Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:28pm

Sissy Spacek absolutely screams "Violet Weston" to me.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

jimmycurry01
#49Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:41pm

I am not one to type cast, and will wait until the movie comes out to decide whether or not Julia Roberts was miscast. Streep tends to do well with everything, but I was really hoping that Estelle Parsons would make a big last triumphant return to the silver screen and do the role. She was beyond amazing in the play and really knocked my socks off, but I know that despite an academy award, she is not a big enough name for a movie.