pixeltracker

Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film- Page 3

Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film

Hiram
#50Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:52pm

I too feel Sissy Spacek would be a perfect Violet. She would act the hell out of it. She also has the right look for the role. Delicate and fragile.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#51Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 6:55pm

I think Sissy is about 10 years too young to play Violet, but then I feel the same way about Meryl.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#52Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 7:01pm

She's 61. Deanna Dunagan was 66 when she originated the role. Phylicia Rashad was 61 when she took over on Broadway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#53Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 7:08pm

I beg your pardon, and I don't know why, but I thought Sissy was a decade younger than that. I saw a recent picture and she didn't look 61 to me - good for her. :)

I would far rather see her do the part than Meryl. Meryl is doing so many movies that she's devaluing herself. It's almost like McDonald's - it's everywhere and always available, but you take it for granted and it's never special like the first time.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#54Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 7:19pm

I agree with you about Meryl. With the exception of JULIE AND JULIA and ANGELS IN AMERICA, her film roles over the last decade or so are practically interchangeable.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Urban
#55Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 9:52pm

The idea of Meryl as Violet... makes me think of Vicki Lawrence as Thelma Harper. It'll just be Meryl in a grey wig.

I think Julia is often undervalued due to few bad choice of movies (not that she was awful in them - but how much can you show off your acting talent in a string of formlamatic RomComs?) but she has the chops and she has pulled out quiet a few gems. Actually until 'The Blind Side' - I think Sandra Bullock was in this same category.

Now after I saw A:OC I actually invisioned Susan Sarandon in the role. I know,I know, a boozie southern housewife isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you think of SS but you need a giant pair of brass balls to pull off Violet Weston - and that is something Susan Sarandon has.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#56Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/1/10 at 11:01pm

I think Mary-Louise Parker would be perfection as one of the sisters, I thought of her for Ivy for I see how she could have a really interesting take on Karen.
Philip Seymour Hoffman doesn't need to be in this, Jack Nicholson as Beverly is perfect casting. Who would Natalie Portman play? There's no role for her in this plus she is about to sign up for Alfonso Cuaron's latest project GRAVITY, can't imagine she'll be doing this.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#57Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/2/10 at 7:03am

Mary Louise Parker would be perfection...she's epic in everyway. I'd LOVE to see her Karen..goodness that would be something else.

I was thinking, as I've recently been watching a lot of her fims:

But what about DIANE KEATON for Violet. I personally feel she would just be perfection!

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#58Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/3/10 at 2:01am

I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be wonderful as Little Charles, although he's getting to the age where he would probably play one of the husbands.

I too think Roberts is a poor choice for Barbara. It's going to be a "Hollywoodization" of the role. Amy Ryan or someone like that would have been nice, but obviously they want big stars, and if the gossip is correct, they will have "name" actors playing just about every part, for better or worse.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#59Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/3/10 at 2:00pm

I really did not ever think I would see the day when I'd be reading a thread that said people would rather skip this movie than see Meryl Streep play the part. I will agree that Julia Roberts may be miscast, but MERYL?! And all because you all think she's too "predictable" or that you don't want to "tarnish the memories of the actresses who played the role before her." As if you've gone into the future, seen her performance, and can judge it. Give me a break.

Meryl is arguably our greatest living American actress and people are actually saying they'll turn down the chance to see her play a role this meaty (though I know all you naysayers will be there in the theatre regardless). Wow.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#60Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/3/10 at 2:13pm

I really did not ever think I would see the day when I'd be reading a thread that said people would rather skip this movie than see Meryl Streep play the part. I will agree that Julia Roberts may be miscast, but MERYL?! And all because you all think she's too "predictable" or that you don't want to "tarnish the memories of the actresses who played the role before her." As if you've gone into the future, seen her performance, and can judge it. Give me a break.

Meryl is arguably our greatest living American actress and people are actually saying they'll turn down the chance to see her play a role this meaty (though I know all you naysayers will be there in the theatre regardless). Wow.

Calm down and stop clutching your pearls.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#61Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/3/10 at 3:45pm

I see Sandra Bullock as Barbara. Is that weird? I think it could be amazing.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#62Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/3/10 at 4:27pm

I had the idea the other day for Morgan Freeman to play Beverly but Jack Nicholson seems like just as fine of an idea. He is just so brilliant. I too was upset by Roberts casting but feel that who knows, maybe she'll shock us. And add me to the list for kathy bates as Mattie Fae

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#63Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 10/3/10 at 8:26pm

Mary Louise Parker is a fantastic choice for Karen (and Ivy for that matter). I wish Cate Blanchett would play Barbara and Toni Collette for Ivy!

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#64Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 11/11/11 at 12:42pm

BUMP
Any more news on this?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

Jon
#65Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 11/11/11 at 2:38pm

In the words of Bones McCoy:

"It's dead, Jim."

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#66Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 11/11/11 at 2:44pm

WHO confirmed it's death??

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#67Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 11/11/11 at 4:31pm

So little has been mentioned it seems to be as good as dead but it could come into fruition.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#68Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 11/12/11 at 1:24am

I agree pretty much with adamgreers comment on the 1st page. Was not thrilled with her casting or performance in "Doubt". (Thank GOD I have the Cherry Jones performance to remember). And CTH048, this naysayer will not be in the theater to see it just as I wasn't for "Doubt". I borrowed "Doubt" on video and will probably do the same with this.

Just give the world Love.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
Tag Profile Photo
Tag
inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#71Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 12:23pm

Natalie Portman as Ivy perhaps?

beautywickedlover
#72Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 3:01pm

I'm excited for this. Streep is perfect for the role. If director does a good job working with Roberts she could get her first Oscar nomination in a long time.

Roscoe
#73Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 4:45pm

Oh what a shame. I was hoping for Jessica Lange, who would knock this out of the park. We're stuck with the Streep. I doubt I'll bother.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

random person 112
#74Streep, Roberts look set for August: Osage County film
Posted: 2/16/12 at 8:31pm

inick, portmans way way to young for ivy, i'm sorry but jumping from mid twenties to mid forties just isn't possible i don't care how good an actress you are.

Videos