LEAP OF FAITH Reviews

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#25LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/5/10 at 6:13pm

Random observation: one of the reviews (don't remember which one) sniped about the "dead" opening night audience. I don't know what show that reviewer went to but it wasn't the one I was at.

That was the single best audience they've had the entire run. Applause at the curtain going up, applause when Brooke was spotlighted, wild entrance applause for Raul, and even wilder entrance applause for Brooke when she came out for her first scene. Incredible applause in the middle of Are You On The Bus that stopped the show for a moment, more wild applause after the Soliloquy and everybody on their feet at the finale. I just wish the staging of the ending didn't make additional curtain calls impossible.

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#26LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/5/10 at 6:17pm

Front row is perfect.
I saw '9 To 5' from there.

bk
#27LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/5/10 at 6:42pm

I was there opening night. Brooke did not get applause in the opening, sorry. I'm sure YOU applauded her, but the sound of one hand clapping does not equal applause. She did get it on her real entrance, however. But let's be real - the opening night audience of course was the best they had - it was an opening night audience - comped, friendly, and happy to be there. They ate the show up just as every opening night audience at the Ahmanson eats up whatever show is there.

I enjoyed myself, but was not affected by the hooting and hollering around me, which was more suited to American Idol than a night at the theater. I mean, every time a singer riffed, there was applause - that is not normal and not what musical theater should be about. Why would the staging of the ending preclude additional curtain calls? It was more than a little surprising that Raul and Brooke did not get solo bows.

All the performances were wonderful, but I will keep singling out Brooke Shields because she deserves it.

Updated On: 10/5/10 at 06:42 PM

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#28LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/5/10 at 7:16pm

OK, perhaps I was wrong, but it seemed to me that the curtain went up and the spot came up and the audience started applauding. Perhaps they were applauding the curtain going up.

The ending and lack of any solo bows - I think part of that is for reasons that were discussed in the other thread, but for practical purposes, I don't see how they could have the cast go offstage and then come back for individual bows - the stage is too wet. It's slippery, and potentially dangerous. Yes, I know, it probably would be fine, but I've a feeling their insurers wouldn't like the odds in "probably".

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#29LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/5/10 at 8:34pm

Ah yes, the Inga Swenson factor.

Corellianjedi2
#30LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/10 at 1:16pm

OK, perhaps I was wrong, but it seemed to me that the curtain went up and the spot came up and the audience started applauding. Perhaps they were applauding the curtain going up.

There was definitely applause when the curtain came up; I too assumed it was for Brooke but I guess it very well could have been for the start of the show.

bk
#31LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/10 at 1:22pm

I was very clear and specific in my post - I did not say there was no applause when the curtain went up - there was, and it was typical LA curtain going up applause. It was not for Miss Shields, it was for the show beginning. She got lovely applause on her actual entrance.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#32LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/10 at 1:26pm

ah, the self-fulfilled prophecy applause. lol.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Rentaholic2
#33LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/10 at 2:10pm

"The only thing suspect is that they used such a cliched plot line, the comparison is universally drawn."

I agree...but my point wasn't that the two reviews made a similar comparison, but that it's painfully obvious that one of these writers read the other's review before writing his/her own article. One of them (I think the Theater Mania one) changed just enough to not be plagiarizing. I guess it's not a big deal, but it makes me doubt the credibility of the entire review.

Jack Hughes
#34LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/10 at 5:10pm

You can't see this show and not be reminded of other shows including all the ones mentioned. That doesn't make it bad - just not revolutionary. There are lots of different ways of telling a story about a deep down not so bad con man who comes into town and has a change of heart while trying to rip off the locals. If its well acted (and this is) and has an emotional pay off (and this does), I think other people besides me will respond favorably. And I couldn't help but notice that even though the reviews are pretty bad almost all of them seem to find things to praise (Esparza, the revival scenes etc).

I don't think this is a show that will be or should be scrapped - but it certainly can benefit from some perspective from a good detached book writer and/or director to make it a couple of clicks better. I've read that this kind of thing used to happen all the time and I hope it happens with this show.

corkystclair2
luvtheEmcee
#36LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/10 at 7:55pm

Damn, Raul.

corkystclair2
Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#38LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/8/10 at 9:48pm

CTG released $20 seats for next Tues, Wed, & Thurs. Code: LEAPFAN

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#39LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/13/10 at 4:53pm

Saw it again last night. Raul and Brooke were given an separate bow after the company bow.

luvtheEmcee
#40LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/13/10 at 6:34pm

THANK YOU.

Separate bows each or one for the both of them?

Updated On: 10/13/10 at 06:34 PM

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#41LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 4:23am

Both, they step out of the ensemble, holding hands and bow.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#42LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 9:37am

ah, thats great to hear...

going to check it out for the last performance - i did really enjoy the show

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#43LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 10:40pm

Ow. Serious, serious ouch.
Political Culture: Take a Leap of Faith...and flat on your ass

luvtheEmcee
#44LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 10:51pm

I wouldn't consider something so obscure a "serious ouch." Yeah, it's bad, but who cares? Really, who's going to find something like this other than someone with a Google alert? A glorified blog isn't going to tip any scales, though of course it may change some potential ticket-buying minds since you've dug it up from Google-alert oblivion. Not saying we should only post positive reviews by any means, nor am I calling it out just because it's negative; I agree with some of the problems raised. But I don't see why it deserves "serious" credit. The reviews that had any legitimate credence came out a week ago.

Updated On: 10/14/10 at 10:51 PM

bk
#45LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 11:26pm

It deserves as much serious credit as anything posted in this thread or on All That Chat or any other message board. In fact, whatever one thinks of what the man wrote, it is better thought out and better written than a certain lead critic's review for a certain big LA newspaper. While that was largely negative, as well, the LA critics tend to couch their negativity for these out of town tryouts, as they'd like to keep having them. He stated his opinion and has a website to do so. I don't take any of it seriously, but he's no worse than anyone else.

The real question is - if he'd loved it would you be praising his "review" instead of saying "who cares?"

luvtheEmcee
#46LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 11:40pm

I thought I covered pretty clearly what you're asking, so either you missed it or you simply don't believe me. For what it's worth, of course not; I'm not one of the people here arguing that this show is flawless. He makes some good points -- but good, bad or indifferent, I still think he's writing on a glorified blog. Hardly need to for such dramatic presentation on this thread.

I pre-emptively said, in the post you responded to, that I don't think we should only consider positive reviews, and that I agree with many of the negative points raised in this review, from the work needed and not being done on the writing to the strange switch in image and persona on Jonas, the latter being something not a lot of people have agreed with me on. (i.e. Raul looks hot, so that's all that matters, when, no, it's not, I don't care how good he looks, this image doesn't work.) I've said many, many times in various threads that I think (based on the workshops) this show could have been so much more than it appears to have amounted to. This writer's criticisms aren't to be dismissed, don't get me wrong there; I just thought humbug was making too big a deal of it; I didn't say "who cares?" -- I implied "calm down." Does that make sense? Hopefully it clarifies.

Updated On: 10/14/10 at 11:40 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#47LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 11:47pm

All these out of town tryouts? But according to humbugfoto, there have only been 3 in LA in 50 years!

In fact, whatever one thinks of what the man wrote, it is better thought out and better written than a certain lead critic's review for a certain big LA newspaper.

Whether it's better written or not has nothing to do with it. I've seen BWW posters write better reviews than Brantley, but they don't make or break the show like major critics can. Good or bad, it's inconsequential. This article isn't going to impact the future of Leap of Faith anymore than it will cancel Glee.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 10/14/10 at 11:47 PM

wolfwolf
#48LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/14/10 at 11:54pm

Why produce this show ? Raul is a good actor and singer but he does not do the two together well.

bk
#49LEAP OF FAITH Reviews
Posted: 10/15/10 at 12:14am

luvtheemcee: Thanks for your post and clarification. Orangeskittles: I didn't say his review or whatever you call it would help or hinder the show - I said it was no different than anything posted here or other boards and that in my opinion it was better written than the rest of the LA "official" reviews.