pixeltracker

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!- Page 11

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#251WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 6:53pm

This thread should be retitled "Maricones al borde de un ataque de nervios."

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

GuidosDaddy
#252WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:04pm

Hello! I've been a lurker on this board for quite some time, but felt the need to finally register to give my 2 cents about WOTV.

I saw the show Saturday night and I LOVED it. It was smart and fun and I loved the crazy visuals. I saw the film in high school and think this captured the crazy colorful 80's. LOVED the boys on roller skates, loved the insane costumes, loved Patti's hairstyles and love love loved the shoes! The show has pacing issues (I never knew when to clap for solos!) but that'll all get worked out. Patti is freakin' hilarious! I loved Laura but she played it so over the top that she got a little silly, but I get it-just didn't think she stole the show (Ms. Lupone did that, thank you very much!). She looked lovely though and her big song is a hoot. I don't think people are getting Sherie's character and how absolutely PERFECT she was. Pepa is dry and insightful with a passion burning inside her that she doesn't know how to convey. Sherie had it down to a T and I thought she was magnificent.

The person who feels sorry for Patti is being a bit ridiculous. She was funny and her voice sounded amazing. I think her 2 songs a can be tweaked and perfected-at least the second one can-the first was just fun and gave you an introduction to Lucia's crazy!. Also, I thought leaving the gals hanging at the end of act one was genius. AND, to the person who said Saturday's show was stopped because of the bed fire, well, you are mistaken. It was because of Ivan's bedroom set not coming out in time. You must pay attention if you are going to have an opinion. I don't mean that in a nasty way, just as advice-your entire review was negated for me because of your mistake.

Some of my favorite shows are "Gypsy", "The Light in the Piazza", "A Little Night Music", "Cabaret" and "Company"...if that gives you any insight to my review!

Oh, I saw "Driving Miss Daisy" Friday and I liked that, too!
Cheers!

Updated On: 10/10/10 at 07:04 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#253WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:07pm

^ Thank you for your thoughts!

bwayfan7000
#254WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:10pm

If the show indeed does have such a long running time, one simple solution might be to cut one or two of the boring songs, which could pick up the pace and improve the overall quality of the score.
This seems like a show that could really have benefitted from an out-of-town tryout.
Nonetheless, I still look forward to seeing this at the end of the month...hopefully it's better by then.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

kyle4
#255WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:20pm

guidosdaddy --

i DO feel bad for patti... very!!

i agree... she was funny and sang well... she ALWAYS delivers... i feel bad for her because she is contracted to be in a truly terrible show. i am certain that the whole cast FELT and SAW potential when they signed up...

now the REALITY is setting in!!!

that REALITY includes the indignity of hanging from a wire and licking a pink smiley face lollipop!!

i feel bad for patti.

p.s. i definitely mentioned the fire in my post. but i mentioned it in terms of its dramatic ineffectiveness and my near asphyxiation as a result of the smoke and fumes that occurred when it went out.

someone else said that they stopped their performance for it. the performance i saw was stopped for another reason and it occurred towards the end of benanti's ACT I number.

i am clearing this up because i do not want my post NEGATED by you. please NEGATE the proper post. the last thing i need today is to be NEGATED by a new member. i have already been called a troll by itjay889!

thanks guidoman!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#256WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:21pm

TROLL!!!!!! You didn't even see the entire show, you can't judge it as a whole.

GuidosDaddy
#257WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:23pm

Then , we shall have to respectfully disagree about Miss Lupone, Kyle WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT! She survived the Baker's Wife after all...besides , I LOVED this show and loved her in it! Cheers!
Updated On: 10/10/10 at 07:23 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#258WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:26pm

Thank you, Guidosdaddy, for your optimism! I'm sure it will be even better by next sunday when i see it.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#259WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:48pm

"that REALITY includes the indignity of hanging from a wire and licking a pink smiley face lollipop!!"

what

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

kyle4
#260WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 8:37pm

as long as you don't NEGATE me guido man!!! i am happy!!!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

theatreslut Profile Photo
theatreslut
#261WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 8:48pm

Well after a thoroughly enjoyable experience at Saturday's matinee, I was shocked to read the harsh words on this thread. I thought the cast was terrific, the music added a lot to a film plot that in my opinion hasn't held up so well after all these years and isn't as strong as Almodovar's latest works, and considering it was only the SECOND RUN THROUGH I was personally amazed to see how the pros could pull it off. Sure there were slightly clunky tech moments, some songs fared worse (like the Microphone) than others, and it does drag in places. But it seemed to me they were having fun, giving it their all, and the spritzy camp spirit of the whole thing was a welcome breath of fresh air. I thought there were only two minor flaws. The Spanish dialect was uneven, but when it worked, it worked. There was also almost too much fidelity to the film; I wish they had done more to mix it up as they did in Tangled Up in the second act. And I agree about Sherie's voice - bed smoke and herbal cigarette smoke and quite a bit of belting - that can't be good.

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/postmessage.cfm?boardtype=new&boardid=#ixzz120SBcf00

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#262WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:01pm

ljay, I agree with you-it is rude to say, "it should not or will not open". Thanks for clarifying. XO

Also, I sometimes think actors often have done so much work on a show and understand it inside and out, that they often forget that the audience only sees it once. Like Patti and Bart keep talking about how brilliant it is. They might have a better understanding of the material-it just hasn't been delivered to the audience yet.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

eileen6 Profile Photo
eileen6
#263WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:01pm

Just got back from the 3 pm show and I am very glad I went. First and foremost Bart Sher is a class act. He came out before the show started to explain that this was only their third show and in so many words things were still a little rough around the edges and he asked that the audience work with him. I have never seen a director in my many years of theatre going do that. As far as the play itself I really liked it. As far as the music and I have very odd taste but I liked it. There was not one actor that did not pull their weight. I am so glad I took a posters advise on here and went. Sure it is a little rough and not the typical Almodovar style it was as if someone was taking his work in an effort to appeal to a wide range of audience. Got some good photos afterwards and had dinner in a nice place across the street where Bart Sher and a few of his people were also dining. Brian Stokes Mitchell great- Patti Lupone-great Danny Burstein---great and I could go on but would be tedious. Don't dog it until you get a chance to see it.

Just one last comment WTF is the indignity of hanging from a wire licking a lollipop...the point was women who were close to going bonkers. Jeeze does no one have a sense of dark humor anymore or are people so hell bent on always nit picking points that absolutely make no difference.....I guess if you had saw PL in Summer of Sam it would have been really upsetting to you. She bared her breasts. She rocks and with her sense of style if she does not consider these things beneath her dignity then why should anyone else? She is an actor and one of the best so lets pretend I did not just over emote and actually get PO'd. Updated On: 10/10/10 at 09:01 PM

Rotel1026
#264WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:43pm

I've not seen the show but do have tickets for the end of October. Is it customary for a director to come out and make a speech before the show during previews? It seems like he's coming out and making excuses for any rough acting. I understand actors are human beings and can have bad days like anyone else but they are professionals and I would expect that they would do the best job possible while on the stage. Coming out saying the actors are tired from rehearsing so much is like a football coach coming out before the game and telling everyone in the stands that the players have been practicing really hard all week and are really tired.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#265WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:52pm

Des McAnuff came out and made a speech before the preview of Jersey Boys I saw. I'm not sure why because the show was in great shape and there weren't any tech issues, but for whatever reason he felt it neccesary.

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#266WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:54pm

Haters, Haters, Haters.......
Soooooo pathetic. You guys are employed, non-union, angry, rejected actors who have nothing better to do with your time than to bash the first couple of PREVIEWS EVER OF A BRAND NEW MUSICAL??!

Those who can't DO, critique.

Do you think Lincoln Center cares what little old you thinks? Absolutely not. Do you think your jealous criticisms are going to stop people from traveling from Missouri to see the hottest Broadway stars? Not a chance.

And for the people who failed geography/history, Spain is a European country, not Caribbean, therefore Sherie passing as European DOES work.

And as for you Kyle4, let me guess.....auditioned and didn't make it? Too bad, so sad.

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#267WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:06pm

I seem to remember people saying that Stephen Daldry also made pre-show appearances before the first previews of Billy Elliot. And I seem to remember that there were tech isssues at some of those early shows, too.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 10/10/10 at 10:06 PM

wicked4l
#268WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:11pm

Yes. They are doing rush for this show. Unless they've changed it since last night. I went to the box office last night and was told rush seats go on sale 2 hours prior to the show. I believe its student rush though.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#269WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:12pm

But performances have been sold out. I seriously doubt rush has been available.

wicked4l
#270WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:16pm

Rush seats were available last night. But I stopped by at 8:00 when the show was starting because I was just curious to see what their policies were.

Dollypop
#271WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:16pm

Have any of the understudies gone on yet?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#272WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:18pm

Well maybe the seats were cancelled subscriber seats, because it was said this weekend was totally sold out.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#273WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:20pm

Well, I'm GLAD I saw it this weekend, and the last time I saw a director give a speech was before the first preview of Perestroika. George Wolfe AND Tony Kushner came out to welcome us to the first performance. There had been no cutting yet and the show lasted hours- effectively cancelling all late dinner reservations. It was memorable, and I'll remember seeing Women on the Verge as well.
Updated On: 10/10/10 at 10:20 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#274WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:24pm

I wouldn't have minded a director's speech, but I felt like I got a "director's excuse". I still think he never should have said the actors were exhausted and ask the audience to "be nice."

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos