Hello, Dolly! Revival

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#125Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 7:36pm

Overkill, you thought LuPone was a bitch in each of the performances I mentioned?

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#126Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 8:24pm

I'll say that she's not a straight up bitch in some roles, but as stated, she's very brash and there's always a sense of anger in all of her roles. Out of those, I've only not seen her as Reno and Jolly. But you forgot to mention her in Mrs. Lovett roles like and Dotty. I enjoy Patti in a few things, not all. Just the way she portrays certain characters, I have no sympathy for them. Like Lovett, for example. And I would not feel sorry for her Dolly Levi at all.

ndrwmls10
#127Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 10:08pm

I've gotten the sense that bitch is thrown around a lot on this board. LuPone is a strong willed woman. She expects a lot out of people and gives a lot in return. When men have this quality they are applauded, but women have this quality they are called bitches. I'm sorry for ranting, but it really bothers me and this is coming from a man.

Dollypop
#128Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 10:20pm

Patti LuPone is the sun the moon and the stars!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#129Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 10:31pm

I've gotten the sense that bitch is thrown around a lot on this board. LuPone is a strong willed woman. She expects a lot out of people and gives a lot in return. When men have this quality they are applauded, but women have this quality they are called bitches. I'm sorry for ranting, but it really bothers me and this is coming from a man.

I completely agree.

For the record, I think she'd be a wonderful Dolly. I find her very funny and warm, and of course she can sing the hell out of the score. As for the age issue, I agree with what PalJoey said. What's the point of a young Dolly?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Dollypop
#130Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 10:41pm

Can you imagine Patti's renditions of the two Merman numbers if they're used in this production?

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#131Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 11:39pm

Well, when I said bitch, I meant it as, she's a diva. Which we all know. And I think it shows in her performances. That's all. Also, personally, I just don't see her as Dolly. But to each his own.

ndrwmls10
#132Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/16/10 at 11:52pm

You have every right to feel that she wouldn't make a good Dolly, but the word "Diva" has a negative connotation. I think people unfairly criticize her, because she doesn't coddle all the time.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#133Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/17/10 at 6:45am

"I find her very funny and warm..."

I don't and that's my fundamental problem seeing her in the role. I saw her in Noises Off, and she was the weakest link in an otherwise hysterical production. She was replaced by Jane Curtin, who was much better, and I also saw Harriet Harris in a regional production, and Harris was truly outstanding.

"Can you imagine Patti's renditions of the two Merman numbers if they're used in this production?"

If they go with LuPone, they'd be nuts not to include those numbers.

Disclaimer: whenever I express doubts about casting, I always wish to be proved wrong.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

husk_charmer
#134Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:26am

Personally I am ALL for the revival with LuPone. I'm in the boat of "I think she can be very warm and very funny."

That said, I really hope they don't include the song that cannibalizes that beautiful monologue before "Before the Parade Passes By." I absolutely hate that song because it takes away the monologue, and honestly, you don't need a song at that point in the show. I think it weakens the impact of "Parade."

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

luponelover97 Profile Photo
luponelover97
#135Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/21/10 at 11:24pm

Lupone is not by any means a comedic actress. She is definitely a dramatic actress and a damn good one at that. She was miscast in Noises Off in my opinion. I personally think if she played Dolly like she played 'You'll Never Get Away From Me' in GYPSY then she'd be fantastic, and I think she's a smart enough artist to know that herself. I do think it'd be interesting to see how she would do it and give her a shot. I have really wanted her to do it for a long time. She also said she'd love to work with Boyd and Laura B. again so here's her shot. Boyd would make a good Horace and Laura would be beautiful as Irene.

philcrosby
#136Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 12/22/10 at 10:54am

Too bad they have to rewrite the score to remove all the consonants.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#137Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/17/11 at 11:32pm

A rare piece of Dolly video from 1965: Carol Channing and the boys from the original cast doing Gower Champion's masterful staging of the title number at the White House, where they are performing for none other than President and Mrs. Lyndon Baines Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOQwxup-jv4

The sound is intermixed with the OCR, which obviously is in better quality but doesn't include the entire dance break.

Updated On: 1/17/11 at 11:32 PM

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#138Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 4:56pm

How i wish Merman had gotten her wish and succeeded in getting her Dolly fully recorded. What an awesome recording that'd be.

On topic, LuPone would be an amazing Dolly, they should include both of the Merman numbers, and honestly, I wouldn't complain if Boyd Gaines, Laura Benanti, and Tony Yazbeck reunited with her for the ride (as Vandergelder, Mrs. Molloy, and Cornelius, respectively.)

If "Hello, Dolly!" is revived though, my only real wish for it is thus: that whoever does it, it's a huge hit, produced on a gran scale with a full orchestration, and it becomes a smash hit that leads to several star replacement Dollys, a la the original, "Sunset Blvd.", and the most recent revival of "Annie Get Your Gun".

and on that note, get some REBA in there! ugh. what a beautiful Dolly she'd be. (though i do think LuPone would be better)

Musicaldudepeter
#139Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:03pm

For the new revival, I would assume that "Just Leave Everything to Me" will be introduce for the stage and Merman's 2 numbers will be included. It will be a brand new production I expect.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#140Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:04pm

If this happens, they really NEED to include the two wonderful Merman numbers. Two great songs, and they will allow LuPone to belt.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#141Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:06pm

What are the songs called?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#142Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:08pm

"World, Take me Back" and "Love, Look in My Window."

Dollypop
#143Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:10pm

"World Take Me Back"

"Love Look In My Window"

Jerry Herman is committed to retaining the original Gower Champion production. He feels that of all his shows, DOLLY! owes much of its "magic" to the original staging, as well as to Oliver Smith's sets.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#144Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:16pm

I'm not a huge fan of those two songs, especially since they add unnecessary length to Act One and add unnecessary drag to the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#145Hello, Dolly! Revival
Posted: 1/18/11 at 8:53pm

I wish they would use "Just Leave Everything to Me" What a fabulous job Patti could do with that number! I wonder why the song was in the movie if he is committed to keeping things the same?