News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Rock of Ages at the Hayes

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#1Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 5:49pm

Info is up at Telecharge. Two interesting things: (1) tickets are cheaper when purchased several weeks in advance and (2) like Book of Mormon, they'll be doing Friday matinees during the summer.

Detailed Pricing Information
Preferred Orchestra Seats: $140.00 (Regardless of purchase date.)
Select Orchestra and Mezzanine Seats: $90.00 (If purchased more than 6 weeks prior to performance date.)
Select Orchestra and Mezzanine Seats: $100.00 (If purchased between 2 and 6 weeks prior to performance date.)
Select Orchestra and Mezzanine Seats: $120.00 (If purchased within 2 weeks prior to performance date.)
Mezzanine rows G-J: $70.00 (Regardless of purchase date)

Dates & Times
Monday @ 8pm, Tuesday @ 7pm, Wednesday & Friday @ 8pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm & 7:30pm

Beginning May 23:
Tuesday @ 7pm, Wednesday & Thursday @ 8pm, Friday & Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm

Beginning September 12:
Monday @ 8pm, Tuesday @ 7pm, Wednesday & Friday @ 8pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm & 7:30pm

joeyvalcort Profile Photo
joeyvalcort
#2Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:33pm

Just thought I'd add one piece of info from Telecharge missing from above -- first preview March 24.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:34pm

That's odd that they will have matinees on Friday. This doesn't seem like the matinee kind of show...

Orangesaretuesdays
#3Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:49pm

It's previewing? Why?

Well I mean to get used to the theater but it's not being reviewed again is it? Updated On: 1/5/11 at 06:49 PM

lightguy06222
#4Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 7:06pm

Is it getting a massive redesign?

I just saw Long Story Short last night, and I forgot how small the stage is!

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#5Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 7:57pm

Isn't Book Of Mormon also doing Friday matinees? They may be trying to jump on that bandwagon.

Interesting pricing structure. I've never seen the "the sooner ya buy, the cheaper the tickets are" gimmick.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

MusicalComedyMan
#6Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:13pm

Are they serving booze now at the Helen Hayes? Wasn't it always dry?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#7Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:15pm

They've had wine, but there usually isn't room for a fully-stocked bar because that space is shared with the merchandise people.

tking001
#8Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:19pm

Any news on a rush policy for when the show moves to the Hayes?
I dont think a lot of shows at the Hayes have done Lotto which makes me think ROA will have a rush when it goes there.

joeyvalcort Profile Photo
joeyvalcort
#9Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 11:25pm

Per the Telecharge page, it does say "first preview." Any word on casting? If it's a new cast, perhaps they'll try and open it afresh...

As for booze at the HH, yes, they're serving full bar... in sippy cups.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/5/11 at 11:34pm

I can't imagine it would get a whole new cast and redesign. I'm sure the set will be smaller, but Xanadu did pretty well in that theater and Rock of Ages was once Off-Broadway.

tourboi
#11Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/6/11 at 12:25am

They will probably "downsize" or cut some scenic elements. Didn't it get "enhanced" a bit before moving to Broadway? They'll probably go back to the Off B'way version.

That said, I'm curious how they'll do the scene with the German guy on the roof. Isn't it done in a box seat? There are no boxes at the Hayes.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/6/11 at 12:59am

Good point. One of my favorite elements of the show, when I saw it in previews, was the great use of the space. It felt like the show was just going on everywhere. Even in the lobby, etc.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#13Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/6/11 at 1:28am

Yes, the scene with the german guy does take place in the box at the Brooks Atkinson. However, I was just wondering how they did that scene off Broadway at New World? Granted, my question could be totally moot due to the fact that it might not have been in the Off Broadway version of the show. I wouldn't know however, since I never saw the show off Broadway.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#14Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/6/11 at 1:42am

Regina wasn't jumping off a building, she was going to light herself on fire.

I forget how it played out.

rorschach37
#15Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/6/11 at 3:26pm

In the touring production, they wheel out what looks sort of like a scaffolding (it's made to look like a balcony, of course) onstage and Hertz and Regina do the scene on top of it. Maybe they'll do something similar at the Hayes? I've never been inside the theatre, but based on what people are saying it sounds like one of the smallest on Broadway!

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#16Rock of Ages at the Hayes
Posted: 1/6/11 at 6:27pm

It is THE smallest, at 595 seats (and shows often remove seats to make room for an extended stage or an orchestra or stage equipment). The Helen Hayes is almost 500 seats smaller than the Brooks Atkinson.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Videos