MEMPHIS filming (pics)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 9:37am

As a musical that was meant to be taken seriously, it was honestly one of the worst things that I've ever seen. I'll never forget AdamGreer and I sitting there laughing and groaning at the predictability of the entire thing. I know many of us got it wrong, but that still doesn't make it a good show in my eyes. It was a pretty awful season for new musicals. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 10:09am

It wasn't the worst thing I ever saw, but it was pretty bad.

Jose, if you love it so much, isn't it worth PAYING for?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

iluvtheatertrash
#27MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 10:10am

I saw Kimball very early in the run and thought it was a terrific performance worthy of, at least, a Tony nomination. By the end of the run and the filming, it had morphed into a total nightmare. Yikes.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Broadwaystar2
#28MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 12:09pm

Jordan I would LOVE to see your TONY nominated performance??

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 12:29pm

And I'd love to see your nominated performance against any film/play you don't like. Your "argument" that one can't think something is bad if they've never gotten awards recognition in the category of which they judge that piece of work is ridiculous and childish. Do you tell film critics who don't like movies that they have no right to their opinions since they've never made a movie? Reviews and opinions on art are not reserved solely for people who make a living doing the same thing that they're reviewing/commenting on. And you know that but it seems your head is a little too far lodged up your ass right now, so it's fair to assume that you're not thinking too clearly. 

Updated On: 8/23/15 at 12:29 PM

sparepart973
#30MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 2:54pm

I saw the London version and was shocked and appalled by the sanitized telling of the events. Cry me a river, white man who plays the baboon lead. And the character of Heuy's mother is worse. One minute a racist and the other she's like eh they're not so bad after all now that I've been to a black church and can see how fun it is. I was so shocked that crap like that could be made public. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#31MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 3:08pm

A show in which a black woman gets beaten up for dating a white man is sanitized?

Pauly3
#32MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 7:40pm

LightsOut90 said: "it has some of the WORST sound mixing of any theater recording ever, all the dialogue is too low and the songs are way too loud, it was on NETFLIX a few years ago, not sure it still on there."

I don't recall the sound being good or bad when casually watching on Netflix, but the recording on the Blu-ray is excellent (regardless whether you liked the content or not).  Both the DTS-MA and Dolby Digital tracks are well mixed, with dialogue clearly understood and the songs maintaining punch top to bottom without being noticeably out of balance with dialogue.

Broadwaystar2
#33MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 7:44pm

Well Jordan you're not a critic. So there's that part. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 7:55pm

And you are?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 8:20pm

ljay889 said: "As a musical that was meant to be taken seriously, it was honestly one of the worst things that I've ever seen. I'll never forget AdamGreer and I sitting there laughing and groaning at the predictability of the entire thing. I know many of us got it wrong, but that still doesn't make it a good show in my eyes. It was a pretty awful season for new musicals. 

"

Yes, this pretty much sums up the evening. The entire thing was one predictable cliche after another. The score was Hairspray Lite, and Kimball was nothing short of a disaster. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#36MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 10:14pm

"Well Jordan you're not a critic. So there's that part. "

Every audience member of any show has the right to announce to the world their opinion about what they're seen. Performances are meant to be seen, experience and, yes, critiqued. Professional critics aren't they only ones who get to say how they feel.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37MEMPHIS filming (pics)
Posted: 8/23/15 at 11:18pm

The whole show is awful. But I thought Kimball was giving a good performance - I saw in previews. Never liked her performance. Her voice never seemed interesting enough to make it the subject of such a musical. But it was very well staged.