3. Richard Rodgers
4. Leonard Bernstein
5. Jule Styne
6. Frank Loesser
7. Jerome Kern
8. George Gershwin
9. Jerry Herman
10. John Kander

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 10:10 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#51Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 10:16am

An honest question here - why do we slavishly adhere to this arbitrary number "10?"

Why not Top 15, or 28, or 20?

I couldn't post a Top 10, seriously. There are too many theatre composers who belong in the "top" for me to eliminate any one of them.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#52Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 10:44am

"Second, to your remark, 'Stephen Sondheim. I mean, come on,' I say, you come on. Not every likes or thinks highly of his work. Learn to accept that and live with it."

Of course not. But judging from the responses, many, many people do. So you'll need to learn to accept that and soldier on as best you can, too.

Why so much anger over this thread? It's not as though those who don't "make the cut" will cease to be performed. It's an opportunity for folks to share their opinions and passions.

Newintown, I'm sure that if you picked 15, 20, or even 28, no one will send the storm troopers to your home.
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 10:44 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#53Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 11:00am

"She's in the attic!"

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#54Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 11:04am

Thanks, Reginald. And, you know what? I'm excited by the number of responses this morning!

While modeling this idea on Anthony Tommasini's NYT article, I'm thinking that we have to credit David Letterman for popularizing the Top Ten idea. When I was growing up, Top Twenty was the way to go! I think that came from NCAA sports rankings. Everybody wanted to be in the Top Twenty.

But you know, form follows function. Or to put it another way, rules follow reality. To that end.....

Is it just me, or are we seeing the same names (pretty much) from most responders here? I wish I had the time today to make a big chart and compile the "votes." I bet we wouldn't end up with ten, either. We would end up with probably three select "tiers" or composers, an essential core, a starry cohort and a remarkable company of composers. I don't know how many there would be in each group, but it sounds intriguing!

Who wants to compile this "consensus core, cohort and company?" No minimum number required, just consensus.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#55Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 11:05am

Well then, OK - here's my pantheon of sorts, in a flexible order, following a simple rule that the composer has at least two produced theatre scores that I admire (I love Burt Bacharach, but I don't think Lost Horizons counts as a second score):
Stephen Sondheim
Maury Yeston
William Finn
Jule Styne
Cy Coleman
Kurt Weill
Leonard Bernstein
John Kander
Cole Porter
Larry Grossman
Jerry Bock
Charles Strouse
George Gershwin
Jerry Herman
Stephen Schwartz
David Shire
Frederick Loewe
Noel Coward
Mitch Leigh
Burton Lane
Frank Loesser
Bob Merrill
Meredith Willson
Harold Arlen
Jerome Kern
Harold Rome
Leslie Bricusse

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#56Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 11:40am

But see, that is the point of limiting the number when it comes to greatness. Otherwise, you're just naming composers you generally like.

if everyone is great, no one is.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Ed_Mottershead
#57Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 11:59am

Going by the category "composer," I'm assume you mean the person responsible for writing the music. In no particular order (and I'm afraid I can't limit myself to ten), here's my list:

1. Rodgers of Rodgers and Hart;
2. Rodgers of Rodgers and Hammerstein;
3. George Gershwin;
4. Cole Porter;
5. Leonard Bernstein;
6. Irving Berlin;
7. George M. Cohan;
8. Jerome Kern
9. Sigmund Romberg;
10. Kurt Weill;
11. Frank Loesser;
12. Frederick Loewe;
13. Jerry Herman;
14. Stephen Sondheim;
15. John Kander; and
16. Jerry Bock.

I limited my selection to American composers -- or, at least composers who made a significant mark in American musicals (e.g., yes, I know that Weill had a major career in Germany before coming to America -- but he had success in the US by writing in a different vein). I deliberately omitted Lloyd Webber and Schonberg, not because they didn't have major box office successes in this country, but because, IN MY OPINION, their work is second rate (okay, go ahead an shoot).

BroadwayEd

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#58Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:09pm

I'm also going to try sticking with "composer" meaning the person writing the music:

1. George Gershwin
2. Frank Loesser
3. Richard Rodgers
4. Stephen Sondheim
5. Cole Porter
6. Jerry Bock
7. Jerome Kern
8. Jule Styne
9. Irving Berlin
10.Frederick Loewe

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#59Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:12pm

I agree with Pippin - the whole point of limiting it is to say THESE ARE THE BEST. It doesn't mean others aren't quality. It just means these are the ones we consider the top of the top. Is it easy? Hell no, but what's the point if it is?

That said, I can't understand how objectively or subjectively ANYONE could say Sondheim wouldn't be on the top of this list.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Q
#60Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:30pm

"That said, I can't understand how objectively or subjectively ANYONE could say Sondheim wouldn't be on the top of this list."

Why? If we're constricting ourselves to composing alone, I wonder how he'd be in the top ten (and that's even with the caveat that I do respect his work.)

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#61Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 4:16pm

I'd like to throw Harold Rome's name into the mix too. Underrated composer. Some beautiful melodies.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#62Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 5:11pm

"Why? If we're constricting ourselves to composing alone, I wonder how he'd be in the top ten"

I find it interesting how people don't seem to like him as much as a composer. Don't you think his music for e.g. SWEENEY TODD - No Place like London, Epiphany, Pretty Women, My Friends and things is almost more important contextually than the lyrics? I do (I mean, it is the music that makes these songs so affecting for me, more so than the lyrics).

Similarly for some of his other shows (e.g. Passion - I mean I love the lyrics for Fosca's Entrance/I Read but the whole 'story' can almost be told through the music alone, I think).

Some of the other examples listed here, I mean the composers can 'smith' nice 'tunes' etc.. but do they really tell a story as much as Sondheim's do?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 05:11 PM

After Eight
#63Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 6:35pm

To Reginald,

Thanks for your kind concern. Somehow I've managed to soldier on lo these many years, and I expect I'll manage to do so in the future as well. I don't care much for his work, it's true. But I don't say " I mean, come on," to those who do.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#64Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:49pm

After Eight - just face it, you're wrong. :)

Mythos
#65Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:57pm

Top Ten lists may be fine for Letterman but for a paper of record like the Times, it represents a new low in journalism and a barometer of its lame arts coverage. Offering neither insight or substantive criticism, Tommassini's ridiculous articles are just excuses for a lot of grandstanding and self-aggrandizement. Mozart is better than Stravinsky is better than Brahms is better than Tchaikovsky is better than Mahler...but why go on? It's pointless nonsense.
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 07:57 PM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#66Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 8:01pm

Mythos - pretentious much? Lighten up.

And listen to some Sondheim.

Ed_Mottershead
#67Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 8:05pm

I was considering Jule Styne only because of Gypsy -- IMO, maybe the best of all American musicals (I said MAYBE). But, pleasant and sometimes even more, his other scores seem, by and large, second tier (not to be confused with second rate). Who crosses themselves when considering Bells Are Ringing, High Button Shoes, Two's Company, Sugar, or even Gentlemen Prefer Blondes or Funny Girl? I'm probably going to take some flak about the last, but the show always seems to revert, no matter who plays the role, to Barbra Streisand.

BroadwayEd

jimmycurry01
#68Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/26/11 at 10:24pm

Greatest composers and favorite composers are two very different things. The great composers have written shows/songs that have or will withstand the test of time and transcend through generations. There is certainly room for more than ten, but I would say the top ten greatest composers are (in no particular order):
Cole Porter
Leonard Bernstein
Richard Rodgers
Frederick Loewe
Jule Styne
John Kander
Stephen Sondheim
Jerry Herman
Stephen Schwartz
Andrew Lloyd Webber

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#69Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/27/11 at 5:31am

I think I'm in love with After Eight and Mythos. The responses to their comments (most recently those by jasonsf) remind me of that old PEANUTS strip where Lucy comes across Frieda lounging on Schroeder's piano and grandly pronounces: "Do you like Beethoven? Because if you're gonna hang around here, you've GOTTA like Beethoven!"

I'm sorry, Paul, but just an "Honorable Mention" for Jerome Kern and Harold Arlen? I mean, come on!

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 1/27/11 at 05:31 AM

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#70Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/27/11 at 6:07am

Still no love for Marvin Hamlisch?

willheim2 Profile Photo
willheim2
#71Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/27/11 at 12:12pm

Wow. Bunch of well-informed people here. Staggering lists of amazing composers, all wonderful with their own unique voices.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#72Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/27/11 at 12:29pm

Hamlisch produced, in my opinion, one truly great score: A Chorus Line. This is not to say his other three musical scores aren't *good*.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#73Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/27/11 at 12:38pm

TulitaPepsi -- as jimmycurry said -- "Greatest" composer is different from "favorite" composer.

You simply can't argue that Sondheim is one of the greatest. This is completely objective.

FAVORITE composer is a different matter. You may not like him, but I think in the eyes of a lot of people here that lowers the bar for all other opinions on composers you may have.

Q
#74Top Ten Greatest Composers of Musical Theater
Posted: 1/27/11 at 12:41pm

"You simply can't argue that Sondheim is one of the greatest."

Typos really can be fun.

And I just love the concept that a discussion such as this includes completely objective components.

Jason, aren't you a teacher?