pixeltracker

Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out

Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out

justafan2
#1Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 8:59pm

Both Katie and Teal were out today--their parts were played by Laura Woyasz and Jennifer DiNoia. At first I was pretty disappointed that both leads were out---but I wasn't able to compare them---because I've only seen Idina, Eden, Kristin and another (can't remember who) play Glinda and Elphaba. They were initially not too strong, but seemed to get more self-assured as the show progressed. IMO

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 9:04pm

And so it begins.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#2Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 9:09pm

No offense Theaterfan, but I think it's a little early to start saying their having problems. I will admit, I was kinda worried when they announced Teal's return but since her debut this month she sounds healthy and seems to be pacing herself quite nicely. Elphaba is a VERY demanding role, whether you like the show or not, the fact that most girls who have played her have said it was immensely difficult should say something. I'm happy she is doing well and at least taking things slow and if not feeling 100% well, then taking a show off.
Katie, she has been missing shows alot since her Broadway stint, but I think she is contracted to do only 6 shows a week sorta like Kendra

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

tphiliboy13
#3Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 9:22pm

Teal may only be doing 6 shows a week because when I saw the matinee yesterday Teal was out and Jenny was on.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#4Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 11:08pm

Heard two videos of Jennifer this weekend and she seemed a little hoarse, but she is an amazing Elphaba! She has very powerful vocals and she's a very impressive actress. Seeing her go on as s/b should not be a disappointment.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 11:19pm

When was the last time Katie did a full week of performances? Her attendance is just awful.

If these actresses can't cut it, the producers need to stop rehiring and rehiring them.

beautywickedlover
#6Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 11:49pm

"When was the last time Katie did a full week of performances? Her attendance is just awful."

Kerry Ellis had much worse attendance on Broadway than Katie. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what happened to Caissie Levy in Los Angeles and what previously happened with Teal in San Francisco.

TheatreFan4
#7Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/20/11 at 11:58pm

Yeah, and none of them were excused. They were bitched out like all holy hell for it here.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 3:44am

And so it begins indeed.

For the record, Kendra never had a 6 show a week schedule. I'm not sure who came up with that bit of wrong information.

Honestly, the audiences were better off with Jen DiNoia and Laura Woyasz. Both are far, far, better than Teal and Katie Rose.

justafan2
#9Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 6:19am

AdamGreer---not having seen Katie and Teal---I can't compare--but the audience did love the performances of Jen and Laura---they were very vocal with their applause. They were very good, as I mentioned---I was just so disappointed that both leads would be out at the same performance. (my problem, I know) :)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 8:33am

Why haven't they just sacked Katie Clarke? She is the epitome of mediocrity. When she does show up to perform--which seems to be becoming rarer and rarer--she gives about 60% at best.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#11Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 8:52am

Well she certainly didn't earn the name "Call Out Katie" for nothing!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#12Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 10:34am

This thread is gonna get fun once the uber defensive "twickies" arrive.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 10:50am

I actually like Teal's Elphaba. Her problem, I think, is that she doesn't know how to manage her voice. It sounds great in the short term, but it's not the way to sustain a long and productive run.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 5:52pm

Well she certainly didn't earn the name "Call Out Katie" for nothing!

<3 this!

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#15Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 6:17pm

I have my fingers crossed for Lindsay this Thursday!

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

beautywickedlover
#16Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 6:24pm

"Why haven't they just sacked Katie Clarke? She is the epitome of mediocrity. When she does show up to perform--which seems to be becoming rarer and rarer--she gives about 60% at best."

I don't think she's a Glinda who gives no effort at all. I think Helen Dallimore and Annaleigh Ashford gave no effort at all.

Wishing Only Wounds
#17Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 6:35pm

beautywickedlover,

Haven't seen Helen, doubt you have either (although I have no way of knowing)... but I don't think you can accuse a performer of giving "no effort," they're clearly doing it cause it's their passion.

And Annaleigh, gave effort. You may not have enjoyed her portrayal (if you saw it live) but she and Alli Mauzey are the only two who I have seen literally put their back into the role... insulting to say there was no effort involved.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#18Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 6:53pm

Maybe it's just me but from what I have seen of Katie (saw her on Tour live, and um....kinda on Broadway haha) she always gives alot her in her performance.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#19Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 9:48pm

"Yeah, and none of them were excused. They were bitched out like all holy hell for it here."

Yeah, but the cast could care less about being 'bitched out like holy hell' on the Broadway World chat board.
Let's boycott Wicked instead!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 10:43pm

When will you all realize that no one cares who is on? The unwashed masses don't give a @#!* so long as the witch makes it to the forklift and hits the money note.

Only us theatre nerds even know who Teal Wicks is.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#21Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 10:57pm

Regarding Kerry Ellis, they brought her over sick, never gave her the time to heal and she remained sick through the entire Broadway run. If you've seen her healthy and sing the way she's able/wanting to, her Elphaba is incredible. No one else sings a more visceral Elphie than Ellis.

Sadly, she was not only sick, but constrained to sing the score exactly as is. Broadway Wicked functions very different from London Wicked.

Sadly, for me, I had to sit through Anne Brummell in the touring cast the other evening in San Antonio, TX. It was underwhelming and boring to say the least.

TheatreFan4
#22Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 11:04pm

Not to mention Kerry was forced into doing a ****ty American accent which she failed at. Should have just let her go with her accent.

Wishing Only Wounds
#23Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 11:10pm

Was it ever verified that she had to do the American accent? I was under the idea she opted to do it, I've been curious.

TheatreFan4
#24Wicked this afternoon----Katie and Teal out
Posted: 2/21/11 at 11:12pm

No clue. I don't know why she would opt to do it when she absolutely can't do it. Anyone who's seen the show with her on Broadway knows that.

Videos