ARCADIA - First Preview

wonkit
#1ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 12:28pm

To cast, crew and creatives - break a leg, and express it as an iterated algorithm! Anyone attending tonight?

wonkit
#2ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 5:27pm

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 6:33pm

It's not until 8.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 6:36pm

It was amazing. The cast was on fire. The show is fantastic. Everyone had a great time up there on the stage. The stage door was crazy. The show curtain was red. The house was about 70% filled. I got a discount. Someone texted during Act Two. An Usher said the show was 2 hours 45 minutes but it ran more like 3. Twizzlers were sold at intermission. Raul Esparza got entrance applause. Billy Crudup got entrance applause, too. I saw a semi-Broadway celebrity in the theater. The show got a standing ovation.

wonkit
#4ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 7:15pm

You forgot gun shots.

But thanks.

Dollypop
#5ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 7:50pm

Does anyone know who the understudies are?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

luvtheEmcee
#6ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 8:03pm

I'm SO grateful to know there will be Twizzlers. I couldn't have gone otherwise.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#7ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 8:09pm

What about the show curtain??

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

rmusic11322
#8ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 8:33pm

^ "The show curtain was red." - Jordan Catalano

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#9ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 8:40pm

My bad. ARCADIA - First Preview I guess I was laughing so hard I missed that line.

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Dollypop
#10ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 8:51pm

What was the stage door like? Who signs?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 9:04pm

At the stage door, Billy spat in my face, Raul punched me in the gut, and Margaret Colin gave me her number and told me to call for a good time. No one else came out.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

luvtheEmcee
#12ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 9:28pm

That Raul Esparza, what a bitch.

Dollypop
#13ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 9:42pm

What's the merch like?

luvtheEmcee
#14ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 9:54pm

Ok, that, I actually want to know. Not that I have free wall space.

Dollypop
#15ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 10:00pm

Someone told me that they're selling books of Byron's poetry--personally autographed by the author. Don't know for sure.

Updated On: 2/26/11 at 10:00 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 10:07pm

Is anyone nude in the show?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Dollypop
#17ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 10:08pm

Lord Byron

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#18ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 10:23pm

Did John Gallagher Jr. come out?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 2/26/11 at 10:23 PM

wonkit
#19ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 10:34pm

Does the tortoise have an understudy? Is the tortoise above the title?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#20ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:21pm

There were a LOT of people who wanted refunds tonight. I heard that a ton of complaints were made from people (of all ages) that they couldn't hear a single word. I was in the mezz and didn't have this problem but I heard someone say that they were going to have to let all these people come back for another show.

The show itself is ok. Honestly, I'm not a big Stoppard fan and was hoping that this play which everyone calls his masterpiece would change my mind about him. What it did was remind me of one of my favorite films POSESSION if it were combined with PROOF, both of which I enjoyed a lot more. I'm sure a lot of people will absolutely love this production (because they genuinely do or because they want to appear "smart") so I'm not counting on anyone really agreeing with me on this but what the hell. On my way to the loo during the interval though, I heard a lot of people either complaining they couldn't hear anything or saying they had no idea what was going on. The latter is my common experience during a Stoppard intermission.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:37pm

How are the performances?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#22ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:46pm

I saw it tonight and think I'll be letting it sink in for a bit. I really liked the structure of the play going back and forth between the two time periods, and how you got to put together what was happening with the characters. The second act really locked into place, especially (spoiler?) as the two sets of characters began to share the stage. Definitely a slow burn, but a worth while one if you have the patience for it.

Billy Crudup made the strongest impression as Nightingale, and watching him blunder in act 2 was a lot of fun. Raul was a little more subdued than I'm used to seeing him, but he had some nice moments too. His accent seemed a little vague at times, but he can work that out during previews. David Turner was fun as the scorned poet and Tom Riley was a dashing Septimus.

Lia Williams had to grow on me a little bit as Hannah, but by the end I really liked her. I think she just had to get comfortable with the audience and find her rhythm, but hey it's a first preview!

The production is sparse, almost reminding me of the set to the recent Sunday in the Park revival. In fact when the show curtain went up (yes there is one for all you who need to know) that's what came to mind. Everything is white except the table and two chairs, and an easel in the back holding the prospectus drawing of the new garden.

For as much as some people complain about Stoppard being too dense, boring or hard to follow, I thought the actors found many laughs in the material and I never got lost with the action. I went tonight on a whim when I heard they had rush seats, but I already had tickets for Wednesday and I'm kind of glad I'm seeing it again so soon. For me it was like a movie I watch once, think about for a few days, and then want to rewatch because it keeps bouncing around inside my head.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#23ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:49pm

I wish the best for this production, but I'd much rather see another revival of THE REAL THING. THAT is Stoppard's masterpiece.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#24ARCADIA - First Preview
Posted: 2/26/11 at 11:56pm

I agree IdinaBellFoster. Arcadia is actually my LEAST favorite Stoppard play (next to Rock 'n' Roll at least). Nothing can touch The Real Thing.

Videos