pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 115

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2850Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/21/23 at 9:00pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Rachel Chase will be Roxie Hart from March 27th -- April 2nd."

Good for her! She's a very snarky and self-assured Roxie and played well opposite Lana when I saw her last month.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2851Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:21pm

Emma Pittman will return to the Ambassador from March 27 --- April 2 in the role of "Annie."

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2852Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:57pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Emma Pittman will return to the Ambassador from March 27 --- April 2 in the role of "Annie.""

One week? Really?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2853Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:57pm

Also, Emma got cast in the BACK TO THE FUTURE musical, so it looks like she won't be doing the Chicago tour relaunch.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2854Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 10:12pm

Jinkx Monsoon  in a game of song association:  https://youtu.be/1f7snBn0rs4

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BenjaminShaffer
Posted: 3/25/23 at 7:29pm

Updated On: 3/25/23 at 07:29 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 3/25/23 at 7:40pm

Finally got an SRO ticket for today's matinee. The show is in fine shape. Jinkx is such a welcomed, new addition and gives a different, fresh take on Mama. Charlotte is still amazing as Roxie, even after 20 years. Caught Bianca's Velma and it wasn't the best. The ensemble is still solid and once again I got the gift of seeing Sharon Moore in the show(8th time and she's gone on every time I've seen it). Marty Lawson & Colt Adam Weiss(covering Denny Paschall's vacation) were also on.

I hope the show can keep getting names like Pamela Anderson and Jinkx into the show. After tomorrow, I foresee their grosses tanking due to no name. Olivia Holt isn't a name, either, and won't sell tickets. I'm curious to see who the producers can pull in. Also, they're very short on Velmas currently. Lana will be back on April 10. Hopefully some new faces start to get brought into the show.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Posted: 3/25/23 at 9:55pm

ACL2006 said: "Finally got an SRO ticket for today's matinee. The show is in fine shape. Jinkx is such a welcomed, new addition and gives a different, fresh take on Mama. Charlotte is still amazing as Roxie, even after 20 years. Caught Bianca's Velma and it wasn't the best. The ensemble is still solid and once again I got the gift of seeing Sharon Moore in the show(8th time and she's gone on every time I've seen it). Marty Lawson & Colt Adam Weiss(covering Denny Paschall's vacation) were also on.

I hope the show can keep getting names like Pamela Anderson and Jinkx into the show. After tomorrow, I foresee their grosses tanking due to no name. Olivia Holt isn't a name, either, and won't sell tickets. I'm curious to see who the producers can pull in. Also, they're very short on Velmas currently. Lana will be back on April 10. Hopefully some new faces start to get brought into the show.
"

She's a better Roxie but Bianca's Velma is pretty good, what was off?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Posted: 3/27/23 at 11:30am

Was anyone from here at Jinkx Monsoon's final performance last night? Curious to hear.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 3/27/23 at 12:14pm

Bianca's Velma didn't come off strong enough. And I was surprised that her and Charlotte weren't together during Hot Honey Rag.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Posted: 3/27/23 at 4:20pm

ACL2006 said: "Bianca's Velma didn't come off strong enough. And I was surprised that her and Charlotte weren't together during Hot Honey Rag."

Too bad. Last time they were together it was explosive

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

dan94
Posted: 3/27/23 at 4:43pm

I saw it last week. Bianca appeared to me like she was in a lot of pain but powering through it. It worked, but if she was actually in pain I could see how things would deteriorate by the end of the week.

They need new Velmas. Bianca can occasionally do it. It's beyond Amra at this point. So they're really down to just Lana. Time to bring another 2 people in because this isn't sustainable.

I had never seen Charlotte as Roxie and my god she was on fire and sensational. Best shape I've seen Chicago in.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2862new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/27/23 at 5:18pm

There's so many actresses available to play Velma (& Roxie). Time for some fresh faces for this show.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2863new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:27pm

ACL2006 said: "There's so many actresses available to play Velma (& Roxie). Time for some fresh faces for this show."   I agree.  As I've mentioned before, there could (and should) be a Search For Velma for the show.  New Velmas need to be developed for the continued viability of the show.  

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2864new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:49pm

Bianca would be an amazing Velma if she wasn’t so over the top. I’ve seen her Roxie so many times. Sometimes she was so over the top (when usher was Billy) but a few times she wasn’t so over the top (w jerry springer in Philly) and I loved her. 
there are some vids on yt of her doing all that jazz many years ago, I always said to a friend she’d be a fun slicked back bun (my fav Velma hair style) Velma. She was a let down. 

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2865new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:03am

FYI London already did a Velma Kelly search 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2433LdMOS7w

much like finding a new Roxie, forgettable. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2866new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/29/23 at 6:14pm

Bianca was out Monday & Tuesday. Christine Cornish was Velma. They had to call in Nicole Benoit for this week as Jessica Ernest is out. Kudos to Sharon Moore who went on for four different tracks from Thursday through yesterday.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2867new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/29/23 at 9:10pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9e7odq6y38  Nicole Benoit   She will be on as "Go-To-Hell-Kitty" from 3/30--4/2.  

Updated On: 3/29/23 at 09:10 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2868new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/29/23 at 9:13pm

new Velma/Roxie
Nicole Benoit

Updated On: 3/29/23 at 09:13 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2869new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/31/23 at 11:57am

Kimberly Marable will be broadway’s NEW VELMA when Bianca departs!

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2870new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:15pm

Amazing! I didn't think Marable was much of a dancer. Kudos. I guess Lana is staying with the Hadestown tour a bit longer. Also, Liam Fennecken(Rock of Ages tour) will make his Broadway debut as Amos. Charity Angel Dawson returns as Mama. Good to finally see some new faces in this show.

Updated On: 3/31/23 at 12:15 PM

Listener
#2871new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:32pm

Even though I think she's very likeable, I was pretty surprised to hear that Jinx was helping the show sell out. That must really sting if other, bigger Broadway stars like Jennifer Holliday or Lillias White don't sell out during their stints in the same part. Did they?

Jinx is fun but doesn't have their vocal chops.

Also, how long is Charlotte D'A staying in the production?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2872new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:36pm

Lillias has popped in and out of the show for years. So she's not much of a draw when she returns. Holliday has only done two stints with the show and really isn't a draw. Charlotte returns on Monday for just one week before the Disney kid starts as Roxie.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2873new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:37pm

I recently was told that the reason there hasn’t been those high profile Roxie, Velma, Billy, Mama, etc happening (aside from Pamela A) is because the Weisslers are quite difficult to negotiate with so agents decline offers (took 10 years for Pamela to agree and she wisely used her run to her advantage on every level). NY theater reps also tell actors/artists who are looking to make their Broadway debuts to avoid CHICAGO. 

Listener
#2874new Velma/Roxie
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:42pm

Interesting.

...I'm kind of surprised the show managed to recover from one of it's original cast members, you know, killing himself after being brutally grilled during a rehearsal just because they wanted him to quit so they could save a few bucks.

I really thought the theatre community would have a bigger reaction to that long-term, but I guess audiences don't particularly care.