Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2126Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/9/21 at 11:44pm

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 9/9/21 at 11:44 PM

everythingtaboo
#2127Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/9/21 at 11:47pm

NEW SHOW CURTAIN!!!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BrodyFosse123
#2128Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/10/21 at 1:23pm

Interviews with the new cast: Bianca, Ana, Paul and Lillias: 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2129Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/10/21 at 11:27pm

https://youtu.be/jPm1ccVt2XQ   Chita Rivera and LIza Minnelli perform "Hot Honey Rag" Chicago 1975.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123
#2130Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/11/21 at 9:43am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://youtu.be/jPm1ccVt2XQ Chita Rivera and LIza Minnelli perform "Hot Honey Rag" Chicago 1975."

This is silent home movie of Liza’s tech rehearsal (hence Chita’s black t-shirt).  The audio (with the applause) is from an audio bootleg and synced to the footage.  Yes, that’s Bob Fosse roaming the front of the stage.  This clip was first seen recently in the 2021 documentary BROADWAY: BEYOND THE GOLDEN AGE. 

Updated On: 9/11/21 at 09:43 AM

BrodyFosse123
#2131Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/11/21 at 12:13pm

Ana’s Roxie Hart will be sporting a short blonde wig: 

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2132Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/11/21 at 11:55pm

The Vegas production also used the logo show curtain.
*I no a fan*

Princess Eden Espinosa is something I need to see I’m just realizing.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2133Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 9:01am

Szot mentions in the Playbill interview that he only got the call 3 weeks ago. So I have to imagine whoever they originally had backed out last minute.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2134Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 9:23am

everythingtaboo said: "NEW SHOW CURTAIN!!!

"
Usually I’m not a fan of show logos on the curtain, but I kind of like this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

everythingtaboo
#2135Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 1:37pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Usually I’m not a fan of show logos on the curtain, but I kind of like this."

I loved it at first, now I'm not sure. It sure does look damn pretty (and Instagrammable) but I kind of love the simplicity of the golden frame and the "Ladies and gentlemen..." breaking into the frame. 

BCfitasafiddle
#2136Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 1:41pm

I haven't been excited by Chicago in ages. I haven't had a desire to see it since maybe 2014 or 15? 

But, I'm so looking forward to seeing this new cast. I think it's a feeling of quintessential Broadway that will be so thrilling to have back. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#2137Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 3:51pm

everythingtaboo sa
id: "bwayphreak234 said: "Usually I’m not a fan of show logos on the curtain, but I kind of like this."
I loved it at first, now I'm not sure. It sure does look damn pretty (and Instagrammable) but I kind of love the simplicity of the golden frame and the "Ladies and gentlemen..." breaking into the frame.

"

I agree - though I wonder if this new curtain will be down at the start of the show, or maybe instead will be just at intermission or even the end of show, like the recent 'Hello, Dolly!' revival did. I would prefer if the plain black curtain was used at the top of the show.

BrodyFosse123
#2138Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 4:56pm

This new “stage curtain” is a projection on the black scrim. It slowly fades out at the start of the Overture. The black scrim slowly rises at the same point as it always did.

mrscott
#2139Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 7:51pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "This new “stage curtain” is a projection on the black scrim. It slowly fades out at the start of the Overture. The black scrim slowly rises at the same point as it always did."

You say this with some authority but it is not true. It is a new scrim with black textured lettering across the width of the scrim. The lettering will pick up whatever color is shone on it. The pre-show announcement begins with the letters in gold to match the proscenium, but they gradually turn red as the pre-show announce ends. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2140Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/21 at 10:59pm

I'm so excited about seeing "Chicago" this Friday (knock wood), that I'm shivering with "an ti ci......"

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2141Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/13/21 at 12:56am

Ain’t worth commenting but

I’ve always wanted a Chris Diamantopoulos and a Becki Newton Roxie and Billy combo.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#2142Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/13/21 at 6:15pm

ACL2006 said: "Szot mentions in the Playbill interview that he only got the call 3 weeks ago. So I have to imagine whoever they originally had backed out last minute."

Jaime Camil? 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2143Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/13/21 at 10:10pm

It appears I have an extra ticket for "Chicago" on Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.  I posted this on the Sell section.  But since I don't know how many people actually go to that section, I thought I'd mention it here as well.  Private message me if you are interested.  Roman in Austin, Texas   P.S.  The ticket is Center Orchestra Row A. 

BrodyFosse123
#2144Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/21 at 5:39am

Ana as Roxie at last night’s invited dress rehearsal: 

everythingtaboo
#2145Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/21 at 11:57am

mrscott said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "This new “stage curtain” is a projection on the black scrim. It slowly fades out at the start of the Overture. The black scrim slowly rises at the same point as it always did."

You say this with some authority but it is not true. It is a new scrim with black textured lettering across the width of the scrim. The lettering will pick up whatever color is shone on it. The pre-show announcement begins with the letters in gold to match the proscenium, but they gradually turn red as the pre-show announce ends.
"

Looking at some IG stories last night, it looks like the Chicago lettering is actually separate from the scrim, it looks like it appears by itself over the bows.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#2146Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/21 at 3:20pm

Do we think they'll do anything special for their 25th anniversary performances?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2147Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/21 at 7:22pm

One step at a time.  Patience.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2148Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/15/21 at 12:29am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Get-A-Look-at-All-That-Jazz-As-CHICAGO-Reopens-On-Broadway-20210914

Dolly80
#2149Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/15/21 at 2:15am

It looks like that’s the illuminated sign they use at the end of the show, behind the scrim. But it looks glittery in that photo- perhaps it’s all LED?

Updated On: 9/15/21 at 02:15 AM