It Did Not Take Them Long

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 10:59am

A friend of ours just heard that TBOM raised their top ticket prices $ 20. Gordon Gekko would be proud.

I had no intention of seeing this but now the $ 169 or whatever will be used as the new benchmark and that is the very bad part.

Looks more and more like Broadway will be for very special occasions. Will be depending on "those recordings" more & more.

Poster Emeritus

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:08am

It's just premium seating. Looking at ticketmaster, the prices are still listed:

Orchestra: $137.00 - $142.00
Orchestra Partial View*: $137.00 - $142.00
Mezzanine Rows A-D: $137.00 - $142.00
Mezzanine Rows E-H: $99.00
Mezzanine Rows J-L: $69.00

So the mezz prices haven't changed at all. There's still lotto and SRO too. So maybe the view won't be as perfect? The Eugene O' Neill isn't that big anyway.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#2It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:21am

I couldn't agree with you more, MrRoxy. Things are flyin' higher than the feathers in Priscilla. No wonder people are judging shows on the basis of promo videos! Who wants to pay such steep fees to see an artistically shaky, struggling show, especially musical.

For most folks, at best, Broadway is an annual event. It could only be possible for the elite on a regular basis, at least during the non-TKTS phase of the run.

Oy.

lowwriter
#3It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:25am

They really opened in a small theater for a show that's going to be such a big hit.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#4It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:34am

I think maybe it's because it's considered a fairly intimate house for musicals, especially one that not based in spectacle, but rather material and staging. Also, being in a house that size will keep it at capacity for a very long time.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:44am

I knew this would be a huge hit so I bought tickets right away. What you said about it being a regular thing only for the elite is pure and utter crap. In the past few weeks here is some of what I've seen and what I've paid

Arcadia (26.50)
Bengal Tiger (41.00)
Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony (26.00)
Priscilla... (40.00)
Wonderland (32.00)
High (41.00)
Motherf**ker With The Hat (41.00)
Anything Goes (21.00)
Good People (26.00)
Book of Mormon (67.00)

Were these seats premium? No, of course not. Some were in the last row of the theater but for $40 and below, I don't expect to sit 6th row center orchestra.

I knew BOOK OF MORMON would be a hard ticket so I used the discount code when it came out and spent a few more dollars than I normally do because I wanted to see it (SO GLAD I DID!) and since I don't spend a fortune on other tickets, every now and then I can spend some extra on a show or two. If they want to raise their prices they have every right to. I don't agree with how much they're charging, but that's another discussion entirely. But if you want to see shows on a regular basis and not pay a lot, you can. You just have to be smart about it, know how and when to get tickets to shows you want and maybe even sometimes wait in a long line or try a lottery or two.

And from that list above, that was 10 shows for $361 to see stars like Robin Williams, Kathleen Turner, Frances McDormand, Chris Rock, Kathy Griffin, etc. Not bad if you ask me.

Updated On: 3/27/11 at 11:44 AM

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#6It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:53am

OK, I knew someone would take me to task for saying such. I understand that savvy theater lovers can get seats at such prices (especially in previews), but I also say that if the majority of folks attending these shows paid similar prices to you, the show would close pretty darn quickly, agreed?

I can appreciate the totality of 10 shows for $360 but that's still a good chunk o' change.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:58am

It is a good amount of money, yes.

And by saying the shows would close quickly if more people spent that kind of money is a nonsensical argument since I either bought rush seats, TDF seats or used a discount code put out by the show. I'm buying tickets for the prices they are offering, not cheating them out of anything. If they need more money for tickets they would charge more or not offer the discounts.

And I do see a lot of shows in previews because once word of mouth hits a show like MORMON, it makes it very hard for someone like me who can't spend a lot on one show to see it. But I don't think you need to be all that "savvy" to not spend a fortune. Even tourists who do a simple google search for tickets for a show will come up with discount codes. Plus, they're bombarded with flyers for discounts on the streets of Times Square and while they're waiting for half price seats at TKTS.

Rarely does a show sell the majority of it's seats at the full price for each seat that's asked. Only shows like WICKED, LION KING (most nights), etc. can do that, and even for those shows there are cheaper ways (under $30) to see them.
Updated On: 3/27/11 at 11:58 AM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#8It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:59am

'The majority of folks' as you put it aren't in a position to see Broadway shows on a regular basis because they don't like in New York. Those are the people who shell out for premium tickets, along with the 'wealthy white haired elite' or what have you. They only need to pay once a year, because that's all they're there for. But I know plenty of people who have what in NYC is a medium income who can see Bway on a regular basis by being smart about it like Jordan.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 3/27/11 at 11:59 AM

bwayfan7000
#9It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 12:24pm

I've never understood premium tickets. If you want to buy a really good seat and don't mind paying a lot of money, you can get really good seats for the regular full price. When I hear of people I know paying $300 per person for a Broadway ticket, I just don't get it. Granted, not everyone is aware of rush, but, chances are, the tickets that are full-price and half that of premium would still get you a good location. Still, good for the shows if they can make the money and people are somehow willing to pay it.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

suechru
#10It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/27/11 at 3:00pm

Jordan is 100% right - there are ways to see shows (and a lot of shows) if you're willing to stand, brave lines, try lotteries and do research into discount codes/TDF/etc. I see what can be considered a lot of shows (although probably not on this board) and the most I've paid for ANY ticket in the last two years was $55 for The Book of Mormon. Is it cheap? No, I don't consider $30-$45 (which is about what I spend per ticket) as nothing and I can't do that as often as I'd like but I can pretty much find a way to see whatever I want to see at a price point I can manage.

There's some very different market segments out there for broadway shows. There's the fanatic locals (Jordan, myself a lot of the people on this board) who love the shows, know a lot about every show, know where to find discounts, will stand in a three hour line before the box office opens to rush the latest hit, etc and will jump on a last minute TDF ticket to something if we're free that night or will have an unexpected day off on a Wednesday and do a rush for something playing. Then there's the whitehaired elites, which really don't need an explanation other than yeah, they're probably not going to care too much of a ticket price goes up $20

Then you have the tourists. The people from wherever that aren't really giant fans of theater but they heard from some neighbor who saw Wicked or Lion King that the show was "OMG, so good!" and they're going to make their big vacation into the city to stay at the Marriott Marquis, see a show or two, gawk at Times Square and swing by the Olive Garden for dinner. Even if they're not well-informed their first time out even the slowest among them figure out the TKTS booth and the people handing out discount flyers on the street.

Frankly, if someone insists on buying $300 seats to any show, I'm not going to have any sympathy for them if they have to pay $330 instead.

2010: Next to Normal (May 25), Hair (Jun 9), American Idiot (Sep 10), Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (Sep 26), The Scottsboro Boys (Oct 17), Fela! (Nov 14), Next to Normal (Dec 30) 2011: That Championship Season (Feb 15), La Cage Aux Folles (Mar 16), The Book of Mormon (Mar 16), Anything Goes (Mar 30)

FindingNamo
#11It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/28/11 at 11:58pm

I know Mr Roxy "doesn't read" my posts, so if somebody could pass this question along to him, I would love to hear his answer.

Mr Roxy, are you or are you not in favor of unbridled free market capitalism?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#12It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 12:06am

A lot a lot of shows have discounts where tickets can be up to 50% percent off, and the seats are pretty good a lot of the time. If you choose to buy full-priced tickets all the time, when there could be discounts available, then that is the problem.

FindingNamo
#13It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 12:32am

Actually, it's the people who DO buy the full priced (and premium priced) tickets who subsidize the discount tickets available for others.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#14It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 1:20am

Yeah that makes sense. I meant more that if a person doesn't like these high prices, then they can get less-expensive, good quality tickets for a lot of shows.

ghostlight2
#15It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 1:46am

"And by saying the shows would close quickly if more people spent that kind of money is a nonsensical argument since I either bought rush seats, TDF seats or used a discount code put out by the show. I'm buying tickets for the prices they are offering, not cheating them out of anything. If they need more money for tickets they would charge more or not offer the discounts. "

"Actually, it's the people who DO buy the full priced (and premium priced) tickets who subsidize the discount tickets available for others."

Thank you. The argument is a solid one. It's great that many of you can take advantage of the discounts, but if everyone did it, Broadway could not survive.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#16It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 2:30am

No one is more put off than I am by the insane price-hiking, particularly with musicals, but I still agree with what Jordan has to say.

I'm in the city a few times a year and do a lot of research before going. PLAN AHEAD! I booked a ticket to MORMON for the end of June once the buzz started to grow in previews. I didn't get to use a discount code but I did have my pick of seats and settled on a cheaper one, thus enabling me to see a few more shows if my schedule allows.

Last fall I had very good seats to both WOMEN ON THE VERGE and THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS and paid less than $50 for the two combined. Of course it helped that neither was burning up the box office, but a few months prior I was able to get a great discounted ticket to A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC on a holiday weekend when the show was mostly sold out.

You just have to know what you're looking for, how to get in, and be flexible. If I lived closer to NY I'd do what Jordan's doing all the time. What offends me more is a gigantic theater like the Ahmanson in LA relegating rush seats to rear balcony only for GOD OF CARNAGE. I know it's the Broadway cast, but a 4-person play has no business in a house for 2,000 people. I'm sure you'll see a lot of empty singles in the orchestra on weeknights, which is a shame.

broadway4life3
#17It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 2:34am

Yo stop complaining about ticket prices. If Broadway is important enough to you shell out.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#18It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 3:51am

My understanding was that producers like Mel Brooks were sick and tired of scalpers getting top dollar for the best seats hence the Premium tickets were born.
It is supply and demand and if people are happy to pay the money then they will charge the prices. Does it mean all Broadway will follow suit? Of course not.
Anyone who does a tiny bit of research is aware that discounts are available. I'm from Australia and always buy a combination of discount tickets and a couple of Premium when I visit New York. If there is a show I really want to see and don't want to risk missing out on I will buy a Premium ticket. However if it is a show I am just 'interested' in I wait it out.
It has all come out in the wash so far.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

#19It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 4:06am

I remember when Brooks started the premium ticket thing, but I've never really understood it. How many tickets actually sell for that price? If they don't sell them by a certain time do they move them down to "normal" orchestra prices?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#20It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 4:46am

I agree with what ghostlight2 is saying(as I usually do), but also what is the problem with producers asking premium prices, if there are audiences willing to pay them? Some people are rich and they might be busy and want to see a show from the best seat in the house, and they don't mind spending 300 bucks? What's the big deal?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#21It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 9:52am

" If they don't sell them by a certain time do they move them down to "normal" orchestra prices?"

Yes, which is why nowadays it is not always the best idea to get tickets way ahead of time. I have gotten fabulous seats (that according to ticketmaster were premium seats) at regular price on day of or day before performance. It seems like seats are released in blocks, almost like they want to sell the bad seats first, making you think the good seats are already gone, but they're really not because they haven't put them on sale yet.

Chad Eberle
#22It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 10:38am

My husband and I are theatre lovers. We live in Columbus, Ohio, and try to make it to NYC annually to indulge in as many shows as we can fit into a 4 or 5-day stay. (This year, I'm happy to say, we are going to be making two trips It Did Not Take Them Long But we have noticed that the base price for regular, non-premium seats has steadily increased over the past decade. When we first started making these trips, we could get center orchestra within the first 10 rows for $100/ticket. That was until the infuriating premium seating contruct took root. I can't tell you how much we object to this. Even if we could afford it (which we can't - it's enough of a splurge for us to afford regular priced tickets), I wouldn't pay that much for seats on principle. It's simply price gouging the public! Now I'm lucky enough to get Row L as the closest seat. If we are making the trip to NY to see shows, we want to be close and center. I have many friends who love theatre but comment to us all the time how much they envy us seeing shows as we do because they simply can't afford it. Broadway isn't doing itself any favors by continuing to raise prices this way. It is fast becoming a pastime for the affluent. We got tickets to Priscilla (Row K - don't know how I lucked into that!) and BOM (Row M) for September, and the base price was $137 (before fees!) I fear if prices continue in this upward direction, we will only be able to see one or two shows per year at the most...and eventually we won't be able to afford any at all. Remember....out-of-town tourists already have a big bill with airfare and hotel accommodations. I think the Broadway community needs to be more sympathetic to those who desire to support the theatre world instead of slowly pricing them out.

FindingNamo
#23It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 10:54am

Again, starting with the original poster, Mr Roxy, and on through so many other posters, I ask: Are people really this strongly aligned against unfettered free market capitalism?

Do we honestly believe that there is a "community" that is or is not "sympathetic" to people who would like to "support" professional, for-profit theatrical ventures except in the way that counts? Why is it the airlines will charge what they will and people will pay it to get there? Why is it the hotels will charge what they will for people to stay there? Why aren't the airline communities being called to task for not being sympathetic to those who would love to support getting someplace far away miraculously and cheaply? Why won't the accommodations community be more sympathetic to people who would like to support the concept of sleep? Don't they know that people have restaurants they need to eat at and shows they need to see?

You see where I'm going with this, right? Outrageous theater ticket prices are a symptom of a system that can in no way be called "sympathetic," almost ever. And the biggest mouthed politcal supporter of that system around here started this thread.

#24It Did Not Take Them Long
Posted: 3/29/11 at 10:56am

Chad what percentage of the cost of your trip(s) is theater tickets? The cost of airline tickets have increased steadily in the past decade too. So have hotel rooms. Why shouldn't Theater tickets? If a show is a hit and more people want tickets WHY shouldn't they charge more? I guarantee that if suddenly several companies wanted to employ you, you'd want a raise.

And as for my dear friend Mr. Roxy, it frankly makes me puke to hear you purr about your trip to Paris and then bitch that your precious theater tickets are too expensive. As so many people have pointed out, there is a huge variety of theater available at every price point. No one owes you top-notch, popular professional theater at a discount price any more than you'd expect to get a steak at "21" for the price of a Whopper. Be glad you have the money to lay out for a pair of premium tickets. If there was any justice you and the missus would be warming yourself over a subway grate fighting over the last bite of cat food.

Videos