pixeltracker

Book of Mormon Huntington Post article

Book of Mormon Huntington Post article

MrJNLong
metsfan
#2Book of Mormon Huntington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 7:37pm

Of course, it's the Huffington Post. Not Huntington.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2Book of Mormon Huntington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 7:38pm

Holy false equivalence, Batman!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Book of Mormon Huntington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 7:38pm

Holy false equivalence, Batman!

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#4Book of Mormon Huntington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 10:11pm

I think sadly that Grenell has nailed it. In a democracy founded in large part on the principle of religious tolerance, should a group of citizens publicly ridicule the practices and beliefs of a small and unpopular religious group because the result is a great big Broadway hit?

And if some already off-balance Mormon picked up his gun and decided to defend the faith, not an implausible scenario, would those who created the show not share in the responsibility?

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#5Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 10:24pm

I think it's an interesting article, though it's pretty ridiculous to compare a light-hearted musical that the writers, Mormons, and atheists alike all seem to say isn't really a slam on anyone's faith to an outright disregard for another's faith through an act of bigotry.

That being said, I wonder how the public (and the Muslim world) would react to a musical like Mormon about Islam. Only then could one really compare and see if everyone's being given a fair shake. Sadly, I think I know the answer to this, but until then, it'll be impossible to tell.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Updated On: 4/5/11 at 10:24 PM

thismyshow
#6Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 10:52pm

(rolls eyes) the person who wrote this article has obviously yet to see the show....

thismyshow
#7Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 10:53pm

(rolls eyes) the person who wrote this article has obviously yet to see the show....

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#8Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 11:04pm

I thought the point of Book of Mormon was that, despite the fact that it mocks the religion, it ultimately isn't really that mean-spirited and actually portrays the Mormon characters in something of a positive light? Call me crazy, but I don't think mocking someone's religion for a joke in a Broadway musical is the same as burning someone's holy book. That's an act meant to incite strong reactions, and the pastor that burned the Koran knew it would. Somehow I don't think the Book of Mormon is trying to incite extreme reactions from Mormons.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 11:17pm

Also, I may be wrong, but no one is actually burning any sacred Mormon texts during the show, are they?

It's just not the same thing.

Barney Stinson
#10Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/5/11 at 11:21pm

I kinda want to agree with the author, at least about the reaction to the Koran burning, but he bungles his argument so badly that I really can't.

You really just can't equate burning a Koran with the BOM. One is an act of malice (though technically protected by free speech), and the other is done in fun.

If his point is that we can't condone Muslim violence or even act like it should be expected after a Koran burning, well, I guess I agree. But then he muddles everything by seeming to say the the BOM musical is worse than burning a Koran.

He should have probably just said that an isolated act of one looney preacher in Florida doesn't justify an attack on innocent victims across the globe, and America can condemn the violence without decrying the burning. Some may disagree, but at least the point stands on its own.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/6/11 at 12:07am

It's a bungled argument because the burning of the Koran is done out of intolerance, while Book of Mormon is in no way a work of intolerance at all. Parker and Stone are self-professed Mormon lovers- the South Park episode dealing with the religion is regarded as one of the fairest depictions of the LDS in contemporary popular culture.

Yes- Mormons get a pretty bad rep in most works, and whether or not one thinks it's deserved is one's prerogative. But one doesn't walk out of The Book of Mormon thinking "what ridiculous, stupid people- let's go burn some holy texts".

What the Florida preacher did and what is on stage at the O'Neill are incomparable.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#12Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:06pm

To all those who want to agree with the opinion of so many major newspaper reviewers that this musical is really quite "sweet" to Mormons, just ask yourself if the reviewers would have reached the same conclusion if the minority group given the same treatment were Muslims, Jews or gays.

Since the answer is obviously NO, then how do you justify this treatment of the Mormons?

FindingNamo
#13Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:13pm

"For American Mormons, the Broadway show and its embrace by the mainstream and liberal media has been embarrassing and humiliating."

We'll need citations and examples of this assertion, Mr. Grenell. Or as Arianna "I don't pay writers!" H. might put it: Reechard, dahlink, vhat are you talking about?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

thismyshow
#14Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:16pm

(rolls eyes at above poster)

FindingNamo
#15Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:44pm

(points at above poster, makes jerk off motion, steals his wallet while he's busy pulling a face, stabs him, leaves him to die in pool of own blood)

thismyshow
#16Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:52pm

sorry finding nemo, that eye roll was ment for olblueEyes

FindingNamo
#17Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 12:19am

That's fine. It sets me up for a tragic jailhouse conclusion in the third act when I realize I killed somebody over a misunderstanding.

sking
#18Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 12:46am

Let's see making fun of Jews and or gays...Monty python? Mel Brooks?it's been done and liked as long as it wasn't mean spirited. Off the top of my head I can't come up with a Muslim example though...that part of the argument I agree with, you get way fewer death threats from Jews gays and Christians(latly) then Muslims, so it does improve the chances of getting your work seen.

luvbrdway
#19Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 10:56am

I'm a Mormon. Will I see "The Book of Mormon"? No, but for the same reason I don't watch "South Park" or didn't see "Avenue Q" - I don't go for the raunchy/profane stuff. Reading comments on here, it seems BofM is pretty raunchy. If they had made the same play, but used Jehovah Witnesses instead of Mormon missionaries, I still wouldn't see it because of the raunchy factor. Just not my cup of tea (not that I would drink tea - lol).

To compare the burning of the Koran to this musical is crazy. I assure you, Mormon's will not stage violent acts of protest because of this play.

Updated On: 4/7/11 at 10:56 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#20Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 12:08pm

So, finally saw the show. I thought it was HILARIOUS. And soooo profane. But honestly, I didn't think there was one bad song in the bunch. All the songs worked in the show, and had their moments. There was never a throw away song. It's so nice to see a show where every character doesn't have their own character-defining song. I loved that the creators were smart enough to know that we didn't care about, say, Nicki M. James' dad enough to give him a song.

Anyway, it's exciting, but sucks, because I feel like the Tonys won't be that exciting. If Book of Mormon doesn't win for Book and Music and Best Musical I'd be very surprised. Maybe Scottsboro would take music? If Scottsboro and Bloody were still open, I think it could be a tighter race, but oh well.

I think Josh Gad deserves to win his Tony hands down. He was BRILLIANT. He was hilarious, but he found the humanity in it, and you felt for the character. He was a pro.

Just a great show, and a joy to watch.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#21Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 12:40pm

Well, as mentioned, Jews and gays are regularly lampooned, on Broadway and elsewhere. And what the writers set out to do with Book of Mormon couldn't have been done with Islam, because then it WOULD be blasphemous to Muslims. It wouldn't have been produced and it would have been dangerous to all involved, as well as to our soldiers in the Middle East.

The fact is- there is a HUGE difference between burning a Koran, which is a denunciation of a faith and all it entails, and this musical- which is pro-faith. Sure, it lampoons Mormons and their beliefs, but it evolves into a general assessment of belief as a whole.

If the show depicted Joseph Smith as a swindler and a con-artist, the Book of Mormon a poorly-written, fraudulent work of hookum, and all those who believe in the religion as polygamous, oppressive zombies- yes. I would say it is comparable to the burning of holy texts. But it doesn't.

When you burn a sacred text, you are saying, "This religion is false and no one should believe in it." That is NOT what this musical does. At all.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bethnor
#22Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 1:02pm

Since the answer is obviously NO, then how do you justify this treatment of the Mormons?

because nothing is above criticism, most especially religion?

true or false: the mormons spent $8 million dollars to pass proposition 8. if it is true, do people get to criticize the mormons for that, or do we have to respect their beliefs?

true or false: up until 1978, it was not possible for african-americans to serve as deacons in the mormon church. if it is true, why was it true? was it because, literally, the belief was african-americans were descendants of those who did not take part in the struggle between heaven and hell, and their dark skin was a curse(!)? if there is even a hint that this hideous science-fiction was held up by the mormon church as an excuse, is it okay to criticize it, or not? since mitt romney wants to be president, is it okay to ask him whether he believed in this nonsense or should we be "respectful," and leave it be?

why do ridiculous beliefs merit automatic respect in society by simply putting them under the umbrella of religion?

to put things in perspective, some religions believe women should cover themselves because god likes it. so let's ponder this for a second. on that horrible day in march when 10 meter tall waves arbitrarily wiped out 10,000 people in japan, does anyone who believes in supernatural entities truly believe this was god's checklist: tsunami - check. crisis in libya - check. crisis in egypt - check. economic crisis in america - check. women not wearing burkha -- uh oh!

ridiculous beliefs do not warrant automatic respect and should be regarded for what they are: ridiculous. MOST ESPECIALLY if those ridiculous beliefs extend to what other adults do in their bedrooms.

Updated On: 4/7/11 at 01:02 PM

DurtyCurty
#23Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 3:31pm

So when is blasphemy against another belief okay?
When it brings harm to yourself or others?
When it is done lightheartedly?
When you don't consider it blasphemous?
When you hate the belief being blasphemed?
When it's entertaining?
When we think it's ridiculous?
When we think it's harmful?

I don't think there is a right and wrong answer necessarily. Like most things it comes down to personal (albeit arbitrary) lines. I just imagine it's a lot easier for a Non-Mormon to say The Book of Mormon musical is a fun pro faith good time than for a Mormon to say it.

bethnor
#24Book of Mormon HuFFington Post article
Posted: 4/7/11 at 3:47pm

it's always okay to blaspheme. it's literally a victimless crime.

take for instance this whole business with the koran. as someone who believes in LGBT rights, i am offended every day. i was deeply offended by proposition 8. i was offended by tony perkins', maggie gallagher's, and wendy wright's defense of it, with their unctuous smiles barely masking their disgust. i am deeply offended by the fact that four countries where there is a muslim majority punish homosexuality with the death penalty. i was deeply offended with david kato's murder in his own home, his skull caved in with a hammer. i am deeply offended by the evangelicals that went to uganda and promulgated their hideous beliefs into law, which precipitated this horrible incident and the media's slimey apology for outing him, saying instead of murdering him, the proper course was to jail, prosecute, and hang him.

but where are the LGBT rallies calling to behead those that offend LGBT sensibilities? where are the placards that demand death for all those that oppose LGBT rights? it doesn't happen.

i'm sorry, but if the LGBT has learned to peacably take its licks, any of these insufferable religions can.

especially since those licks involve REAL harm to REAL people with REAL feelings who REALLY exist. REAL families were damaged by proposition 8. david kato was a REAL person who was murdered in his own home. if the LGBT community can take egregious insults to REAL people, all religions need to learn to take their licks about their beliefs, for which there hasn't been one shred of evidence over 1000s of years, especially if they think those beliefs get to determine how other people live. who was harmed by the burning of the koran? what couldn't the mormons do today that they couldn't before they were "blasphemed" by BOM? if i say i don't believe joseph smith heard from the angel moroni, who is hurt by this?

Updated On: 4/7/11 at 03:47 PM

Videos