pixeltracker

1943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Arts- Page 3

1943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Arts

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#501943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/10/11 at 12:33pm

Good News! Yes, the show was taped!

A link to an article in the Winston-Salem journal describing the elaborate filming that took place of the production over the weekend and last night.

The production will be broadcast on UNC TV sometime before next May, but the more exciting news is that according to John Mauceri, the production will also receive broadcasts in New York, Los Angeles (and other markets as approved by the R&H Organization) with proceeds from the screenings going to benefit UNCA scholarships.

Fabulous idea.

Oklahoma to be broadcast Updated On: 5/10/11 at 12:33 PM

#511943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 12:25am

Thanks! That made me very very happy! Of course I would never get to see any of those showings, but at least now I know I'll eventually have the chance...

It seems unheard of to grant a local station the rights to air a major musical, no matter who is doing the production, doesn't it? Would PBS ever pick this up? I do have one nit pick (as I always have...)

"The idea is create a TV-friendly composite of the school's production that will air on UNC-TV before next May. The final product will create the illusion of one scene flowing seamlessly into another without the need for a scenery change behind a curtain. "

Ummm weren't the scene changes done for Oklahoma "in one?" At any rate why film a recreation of the original production and then try to make it look more cinematic? But oh well, it could be worded wrong, and I really don't care that much...

(And I wonder when they'll update the rest of their behind the scenes web series... Not that I check every day or anything...)

*edit* just realized UNC TV is a PBS station... sigh
Updated On: 5/12/11 at 12:25 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#521943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 12:27am

Eric,

I'm sure you won't have any problem getting a copy of it, but I can promise you I'll be taping it and will send it to you if you'd like.

#531943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 12:43am

Ha, I'm gonna hold you to that (but thanks very much for the offer--it's much appreciated!)

Jordan Catalano
Michael Bennett
#551943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 3:47am

Actually, the 1979 Broadway revival of OKLAHOMA! Was taped for a one time broadcast by a cable access television studio in the state of Oklahoma. It wasn't nearly as elaborate a filming as what was just done in NC (UNC-TV is PBS btw)
but the video is out there- you can see clips of it on YouTube.

I wouldn't worry too much about the blurb about covering the scene changes - safe to say, I think I think the reporter is trying to infer that the goal is to make the production flow on film. Honestly, a lot of the local coverage of the profiction has been a little simplistic in editorial style-- I would imagine the R&H estate will have some input into the final product and will make sure the recreation on film has integrity.

Updated On: 5/12/11 at 03:47 AM

Goggles Profile Photo
Goggles
#561943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 4:03am

wow this totally makes me happy and i will definitely be looking for this on tv between now and next may :)

#571943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 5:20am

MB that does make sense--the reporter seemed to be under the impression that filming a show over several nights to make one taping was some brand new innovative process--but of course concerts and stage shows have been filmed this way for the past 30 or more years...

I had no idea the 79 revival had been recorded--somethign to keep an eye out for I guess... Of course I know about one time only PBS showings--Live from Lincoln Center, etc, but never before about them being shown on one specific network. At any rate, it's just fantastic that it's going to be filmed and viewable to the public in some way.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#581943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 7:02am

I wish PBS would pick it up and air it, along with their documentary. It might be the only way I'll see it in the Midwest.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#591943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 12:38pm

If you think this makes us happy, imagine what it must be doing for Jerry Freedman's recovery from his stroke.

Michael Bennett
#601943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 5/12/11 at 1:10pm

You never know Best12, I'd say its possible but it sounds like R&H is going to ultimately be making the call where this gets a screening/broadcast. Any of you that want to see this taping screen in your area might consider dropping a note of enthusiasm to Ted Chapin (ted@rnh.com) or Bill Gaden (bill@rnh.com) who head Rodgers and Hammerstein in New York (and who have been involved in this recreation). It couldn't hurt...

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#611943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 3:12pm

So I've waited patiently a year... I demand to know, if anything has been said about the telecast of the video of this yet? :P

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#621943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 3:14pm

It aired already. Of course copies are floating around.. you probably know where to look.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

mikey2573
#631943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 3:47pm

I did not see the show live, but I watched the telecast which a friend had recorded and sent to me. It is a fantastic production and the young cast is fantastic. The telecast was also very well done, with multiple cameras and great sound. I am sure it was even better live.

EricMontreal22
#641943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 3:47pm

Wha wha? how did I miss any word of this... Umm feel free to PM me, anyone... (I don't exactly have good sources for this kind of thing...)

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
rorschach37
#661943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 4:24pm

Would anyone be able to send me a copy? I just finished performing in a local production of Oklahoma and would love to see this!! I'll pay!

EricMontreal22
#671943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 4:46pm

Back off bitchs, I was here first :P 1943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art

Alma, where did it air? I know originally they said the local PBS in N Carolina would show it but I can't find ANY mention online--or is this copy just a private circulating thing...

*checks PM box*

Jordan Catalano
#681943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 4:48pm

In pretty sure it was taped off of TV. I'll check when I get home.

EricMontreal22
aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#701943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 5:06pm

Can I join Eric in patiently waiting for something to show up in my PM box?

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#721943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 8:11pm

It's a goal of mine to recreate original sweeney eventually.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#731943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 8:32pm

OKLAHOMA! was the first professional show I saw when I was 15. It was the national tour of Broadway's '79 revival (Mary Wickes as Aunt Eller was wonderful!) and stopped in Philadelphia at the Forest Theater.

Little did I know that a year later, I would be Curly in my high school production.

Needless to say, OKLAHOMA! has a special place in my heart.

I am a PM virgin but am ready for my first time 1943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art

Updated On: 4/21/12 at 08:32 PM

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#741943 Production of OKLAHOMA! replicated at North Carolina School of the Art
Posted: 4/21/12 at 11:54pm

Well if we're all jumping on the PM bandwagon, I'll add my name to the list. Oklahoma! was the first show I ever worked on and I think it's pretty darn perfect. I did see the broadcast (my parents in NC tivoed it for me, but I don't know how to make that transferable) and thought it was great. I would love to have a copy to watch over and over!