pixeltracker

I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London

I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 7:59am

So that GYPSY is off for sure now, right?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 07:59 AM

#2I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 8:06am

I don't see why not.

His corpse did a fair job with West SIde Story.
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 08:06 AM

richs52 Profile Photo
richs52
#2I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 8:40am

Excellent answer taboo!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#3I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 10:03am

Gypsy was never going to happen here, it was spke about for so long but just did not happen, same with Xanadu

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#4I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:40pm

LuPone mentioned in an interview, probably back when ..Verge was beginning previews, that Arthur was mad at her for filming a television show. It never got picked up, but I suppose her shooting that pilot axed taking her production of Gypsy across the pond.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:24pm

That's too bad ...
... because Patti LuPone can sure hold a note.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:28pm

Well, couldn't they just replicate the revival and put Arthur's name on with a "ghost" director? I mean, Joe Mantello doesn't direct the three touring companies of WICKED but his name is on it. How is that achieved?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#7I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:43pm

Maybe Sam Mendes can take it on, and we can all see what he originally intended before Arthur had his hissy fit.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#8I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 2:02pm

Please keep her on that side of the pond

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 2:15pm

Besty, that was priceless.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#10I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 2:31pm

It's ok guys. Now that he's dead I'm directing an all black production of gypsy for the west end starring tv's Raven Simone as Gypsy Rose Lee.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#11I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 3:39pm

I would watch that in a heart beat.

#12I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 4:02pm

Rouge

can the girls from Sister Sister play young Gypsy and June?
I like Tia and Tamera Mowry

They make me chortle.
Those Disney Girls rock!

Why not throw in Jaleel 'Urkel' White as Herbie?

and Whitney Houston as Mama Rose?

if Raven Simone bails out

there's always Bobbi Christina. I'm sure they can bring on the realness and get special permission for her and Whitney to leave Rehab and star in your fabulous production.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#13I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 4:45pm

I believe that David Saint has become the supervising director for the Arthur Laurents productions and the executor of his estate.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#14I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 4:47pm

You'd have to be a Saint to put up with Arthur Laurents, eh?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 04:47 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#15I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 4:51pm

Let us just take a minute to remember that sometimes the annointed "supervising directors" of these creators' estates are WAY more militant than the actual artists were when alive - just try getting past the individuals calling the shots on behalf of the estates of Michael Bennett, Alan Jay Lerner, James Goldman etc.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#16I guess Arthur Laurents' corpse can't direct Lupone in London
Posted: 5/11/11 at 5:10pm

I think you can count on David Saint being not only militant but militant with a near-religious fervor.

Videos