pixeltracker

"Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash"

"Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash"

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#1"Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash"
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:51pm

Interesting article that was posted on ATC about the supposed 'backlash' against Hollywood actors this season. Riedel and Victoria Clark are quoted. I think the comments are almost more interesting than the article.
Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

SporkGoddess
#2'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:03pm

I found the comment that the Tonys should be considered a local award very interesting.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#2'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:14pm

Riedel brings up a good point (did I actually just say that?? :O )

Without Radcliffe/a Radcliffe-type equivalent, there'd be no How to Succeed revival. This is true for many shows. Regardless of who may be the lead actor, Radcliffe's employment employs, in turn, the whole ensemble/cast, crew, stagehands, and everyone. The argument about them "stealing" Tony's makes more sense than saying that Hollywood actors are "stealing" their jobs.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#3'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:14pm

Riedel brings up a good point (did I actually just say that?? :O )

Without Radcliffe/a Radcliffe-type equivalent, there'd be no How to Succeed revival. This is true for many shows. Regardless of who may be the lead actor, Radcliffe's employment employs, in turn, the whole ensemble/cast, crew, stagehands, and everyone. The argument about them "stealing" Tony's makes more sense than saying that Hollywood actors are "stealing" their jobs.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:20pm

This is an ancient argument.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:30pm

And one I am so sick of hearing. Everyone wants to see big stars on stage. Yes, even you reading this who complains to people how Hollywood is stealing Tony awards wants to see your favorites stars live and in person. But God forbid they do such a good job that we in turn award them for it.

Porter2 Profile Photo
Porter2
#6'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:07pm

Personally, I don't care who is performing on the stage as long as the're GOOD. But God forbid they edge out people like Sutton Foster.

But some Hollywood stars have done a lot, or at least a few, stage roles (ie: Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Neil Patrick Harris, etc.) and Daniel Radcliffe was supreme in Equus. Even Patti LuPone has done stuff in Hollywood.

“You need three things in the theater - the play, the actors and the audience, - and each must give something.” (Kenneth Haigh)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:28pm

GIVE BROADWAY BACK TO CUDDLES!

Join mine facebook paige. Its impotent.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:31pm

It's a truly wonferful facebook page.

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#9'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:58pm

""Jerry Zaks could have gone after anybody between the ages of 45 and 80 for this part," she said, referring to the show's director."

And he did. Wasn't Angela Lansbury the first choice for the part of Mother Superior?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#10'Hollywood stars at the center of Broadway backlash'
Posted: 5/30/11 at 7:01pm

Hunter Foster is so full of ****! If he had the chance to be both a film and stage actor he would jump at the chance with open arms! Really he is as thrilling to watch as a dish cloth drying.

I am with Jordan on this, old news, get over it!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Videos