pixeltracker

House on Broadway for Natl Tours

House on Broadway for Natl Tours

BroadwayTravis
#1House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 11:25am

This idea was brought up on another thread, "What two theatres would you want to own on Broadway" (mine the Imperial); however, I found a side topic quite interesting and deserving of its own. Member, fingerlakessinger, suggested one of the theatres be used for national tours.

I can't believe this idea has never been thought of, but I think it is a great one. There was of course the question of profitability for a show that maybe recently closed on Broadway (they usually do so for a reason), but I think it could work. Someone suggested the Marquis (many reasons). That is a great option as it has Times Square (tourist) appeal. Obviously you would not want to put a tour in that has a company on Broadway. However, a suggestion was to have the national tours of blockbusters like Wicked or Lion King perform in a secondary house for the Christmas season to meet demand. Both great ideas and I'm sure there may be equity rules etc.

All of these shows would be for a limited run of say 2 weeks to 3 months.

I don't know if the powers that be or investors look at these boards, but something to discuss. Any thoughts?

AEA AGMA SM
#2House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 5:53pm

People talk about the money that could be made by Wicked or Lion King coming in for the holidays with out thinking about the fact that Broadway theatres typically have a much smaller seating capacity than the road houses that these companies are currently playing. As a producer I would rather try to sell out a 2500-5000 seat theatre; much greater potential gross on the road than there is on Broadway.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 6:01pm

What, so they'd have TWO Wicked productions??

RE: This idea, cf. HAIR coming back to broadway: discount code of $50 per seat. I don't know if it's a good idea.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Barcelona Profile Photo
Barcelona
#3House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 6:40pm

I like the idea of shows that are on tour, but not currently open on Broadway, coming through, especially since it seems like most tours don't come anywhere near the NY area.

I don't think it's necessary for there to be two productions of any show running in the same area though...way too complicated.

henryt
#4House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 10:07pm

You also have to remember that the official list of "Broadway" theatres is maintained by the TONY administrators. If this were to happen, they could easily just disqualify the theatre, and for good reason.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 10:09pm

Les Miz did this once in London by having the tour play the Barbican and the sit-down London production play the Queens. (Hence, the three casts at the 25th anniversary concert.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Okayfine
#6House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 10:19pm

Wait, you lost me. Why is this a "great" idea?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#7House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 10:28pm

I think its an interesting idea. For example, a few years ago Camelot toured with Rachel York. I would have loved to have seen it, but it never came near where I lived. Had it played New York City, I would have had a chance.

Even a show that had closed in recent years could probably do well for 1-2 weeks on Broadway. I can almost guarantee that if the 1st national tour of Spring Awakening came back for two weeks it would do incredible, due to the star power Lea Michele and Jon Groff have now brought to it.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#8House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 10:47pm

Wait, so all y'all are saying that (even though it just closed in January) if "Next To Normal" had wrapped up its tour by playing 3-4 weeks in New York with Alice Ripley that there would be zero interest? I didn't think so. House on Broadway for Natl Tours

I definitely think touring productions coming to New York is at least something to consider. If done at the right time, there'd be an interest.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 6/27/11 at 10:47 PM

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#9House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 10:54pm

What about a place like NY City Center? I may be wrong, and I can't check now since it's closed for renovations I believe, but isn't that house often close for weeks at a time off-season? Couldn't tours play that house for a few weeks to a month a few times a year?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#10House on Broadway for Natl Tours
Posted: 6/27/11 at 11:19pm

The 90's tour of Grease played City Center for a week or two around Christmas while the Broadway production was still playing.

Videos