pixeltracker

Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)- Page 2

Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#25Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 8/4/11 at 3:25pm

regarding what I said about the 'changing over time'

I think the concept is a good one, my problem was, the first time I saw it, it was mentioned once, on human again or somewhere around that song. When I saw it on tour, it was mentioned over and over as if they were pandering to the kiddies in the audience, like, "by the way, if you wer not paying attention just now, we are slowly changing and if the curse is not broken soon we will be stuck like this."

It was like taking a good concept, then later on dumbing it down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 8/4/11 at 3:40pm

^Was the book ever revised, or did you just not remember it being so blatant the first time?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious. Each time I saw it, I definitely remember the reminders about what would happen when the last peddle fell off. I actually didn't mind it so much.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#27Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 8/4/11 at 4:29pm

I always thought (and still do) that the best way to revive this would be to do it at Radio City and do it BIG for a short run each year. The Rockettes could be a part of be our guest. Big elaborate sets and effects. A 6-8 week engagement. I am sure it would sell out...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

My Name in Lights
#28Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 8/6/11 at 12:07am

I agree that the original show was sensational. The spectacle of it was great and so were the performers. I saw the show multiple times, but none of the subsequent times compared to the first time with Terrence Mann. Although you only saw the Beast out of makeup at the end, his acting made such an impression on me that to this day he is one of my favorite performers. His voice was mezmerizing. The last time I saw Beauty and the Beast was after it had moved and it was noticeably different. Still a good show, but the downsizing was very apparent, and by that time the actor playing the Beast didn't play it so you believe it. He was dancing around and mugging for the audience, sort of stepping out of character and definitely not as effective. I remember asking one of the performers about it afterward and he confirmed that I wasn't crazy it had definitely been downsized. For anyone who hadn't seen the original production, I suppose it was satisfying, but it was definitely missing something from the original. After all Disney is about spectacle, and when they do things they usually do them well, but the downsized Beauty wasn't as good for me.

Still, I would love to see Beauty return one day.

beautywickedlover
#29Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:46am

I can't believe that it has been half-a-decade since the show closed. Time really has flown by fast. I sill miss it.

jagfkb
#30Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 11:29am

Shot during the initial try out, probably the most extravagant production of BEAUTY yet produced (many of the costumes/ sets/ special effects were subsequently downsized for the Broadway production, specifically the prosthetics for the enchanted objects, the wolf chase, etc.) a special Backstage Pass shown on Disney Channel. Thought everyone would enjoy:
Backstage Pass: Beauty and the Beast

musicaltheatreman2
#31Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 11:39am

this is a great video that aired on the disney channel back in 93 on the making of beauty and beast with the interviews with the original cast. enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9C8vtV-26w

TheatreKid3
#32Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 1:15pm

Like many others have already posted, BEAUTY was my first Broadway show. While I was so sad to see it close, I had such high hopes for MERMAID (but of course was let down). I can't wait for this show to be revived. And, like others have said, a revival may happen sooner than we think. Recently, Disney Theatrical dropped its Dumbo website domain registrations, but added the domain beautyonbroadway.com. This was just a few months ago. A limited holiday engagement has been in the rumour mill for a while.

AEA AGMA SM
#33Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 1:29pm

"(many of the costumes/ sets/ special effects were subsequently downsized for the Broadway production, specifically the prosthetics for the enchanted objects, the wolf chase, etc.)"

From what I remember hearing the wigs and prosthetics originally designed for Act II proved to be too heavy and cumbersome for the cast. Subsequently the Act I wigs and prosthetics were shifted to Act II and they designed new wigs for Act I and virtually cut any prosthetic pieces in Act I for the servants/enchanted objects.

And thanks for posting that link. I remember seeing that special just once on the Disney channel and that was what made me convince my parents that we should see the show in NYC (and it ended up being my first show on Broadway in 1994, followed the next night by the revival of Damn Yankees).

Starship
#34Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 2:06pm

I'm highly doubtful that they'll ever give us a high budget revival, but if they did, I would be a crying mess. R.I.P Beauty and the Beast. We miss you!

AEA AGMA SM
#35Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 3:12pm

I think that depends on your definition of high budget. I do think that if Disney ever did see fit to bring the show back to Broadway they would certainly not go cheap with it. It may not be quite as big as the original was at the Palace, but I would certainly feel safe in assuming it would be at least at the level it was when it moved to the Lunt. I know many felt that this production was cheaper than the pre-move production, which it was, but it was certainly far from a thread-bare production. A lot of the downsizing was just as much about the logistics of fitting the show in to the Lunt as well as being cost-cutting measures, which was also part of the reason for the move. So using the smaller, more manageable, tour set was both an issue of cost and space. I would also venture to guess that many people who only saw the show at the Lunt did not walk out feeling as if they had been short-changed or seen the "cheaper" version of the show.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 4:43pm

I really like this show, and was sad to see it go. Like everyone else, I had very high hopes for The Little Mermaid. If it comes back to Broadway, I just hope it is a big and beautiful production and not like the current national tour.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#37Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 4:50pm

Very well put together animated musical.

Garish, tacky, non-adaptation of animation to stage production that seems better suited for Disneyland.

The transformation was neat though.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#38Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 6:56pm

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST might be the best feature animated musical ever made. It is charming, well put together, beautifully animated and doesn't wear out its welcome. It is a captivating hour and a half.

The show is a bit of a dud. I'll take the movie over the show any day.

bwayphreak234
#39Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 6:59pm

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST might be the best feature animated musical ever made.

I wholeheartedly agree.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40Remembering BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (April 18, 1994 - July 29, 2007)
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:02pm

They should have just shown the movie for thirteen years eight times a week. Who needs Tim Rice when you've got Howard Ashman?

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
#41Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:23pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/70978074/Entertainment/Beauty-and-the-Beast-at-Chicago-Shakes#gl-11

This condensed (75 minute) production of Disney's BATB is currently playing at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre to sold out crowds and rave reviews.

bwayphreak234
#42Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:33pm

Well the set is really pretty. The costumes and orchestra (keyboard) leave a lot to be desired though. If it is 75 minutes I am guessing they are doing the junior version?

beautywickedlover
#43Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/29/12 at 11:24pm

James Durbin, from 'American Idol', played the Beast in a production in 2006. He should play the role in a Broadway revival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9e6CHF6wxc

ETA: Corrected post. I meant to say he should be the first person to play it in a Broadway revival. Updated On: 7/30/12 at 11:24 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#44Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/30/12 at 1:22am

Well, he can't really originate that role on Broadway because Terrence Mann already did originate it. Maybe if he gets a time machine?

JeanGudio
#45Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/30/12 at 6:32am

the lion king has done well with tonys to prove it

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#46Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/30/12 at 7:58am

^ umm, yeah. sure. oooh-kay!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#47Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/30/12 at 8:48am

It's a shame they closed down this production to make way for the Little Mermaid. Between the two, Beauty and the Beast was leagues better. I know people probably look down on it because of its Disney status, but it will always be one of my favorite musicals.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

beautywickedlover
#48Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/30/12 at 3:59pm

"Well, he can't really originate that role on Broadway because Terrence Mann already did originate it. Maybe if he gets a time machine?"

I fixed my post. I meant to say that it would be great if he was the first person to play the role in a Broadway revival.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#49Beauty and the Beast currently playing in condensed version in Chicago
Posted: 7/31/12 at 10:25pm

I'm kinda mixed on theshow, and I admit I'm always surprised to hear the huge love on this forum, though some of that may be due to nostalgia if this was your first show.

Overall, I like the show, I like the new music (less so the lyrics), but it kinda felt like an biug budget pantomime to me (maybe that's not a bad thing) or a very very good theme park show. I saw it in London, with John Barrowman a fine prince, and ex UK soap/pop star Michelle Gayle a good Belle (much better in the lighter moments than the more serious ones). The theatre it played in London felt huge to me, so I assume that it was the full original Broadway production in terms of scale.