Phantom on Broadway

anaflores
#1Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:23pm

Hi everyone,

I'll be in NYC at the end of September and am planning on seeing a show during every available time slot while I'm there.

I currently have tickets for The Book of Mormon, Follies and How to Succeed, but can fit in about 3 more shows. I've seen Phantom of the Opera when it was on tour in my town, but am curious if I'm missing a lot by not seeing the show on Broadway? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!

staunchcharacter Profile Photo
staunchcharacter
#2Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:27pm

You aren't missing much on tour. With phantom they did a great job with giving yo the whole package. See some lays! I'm not sure how much longer Mark Rylance is in Jerusalem but if he is still there when you are, see him.

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#2Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:28pm

I wouldn't suggest going to see Phantom, especially if you have already seen it elsewhere.

I would suggest:
War Horse
Anything Goes
Billy Elliot (though I'm partial)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:32pm

Doesn't Jersusalem close this Sunday?

Just give the world Love.

anaflores
#4Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:36pm

Thank you for the suggestions!

War Horse and Anything Goes come highly recommended, so I may look into those. I can't wait to see Billy Elliot! It will be touring through San Antonio in March of next year, so I was planning on seeing it here.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#5Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:38pm

Sleep No More.

Rabekriegerin Profile Photo
Rabekriegerin
#6Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 12:45pm

As others in the thread have said, the US tour did a really fabulous job presenting Phantom; you haven't missed much by seeing that version (other than the ephemeral "Broadway magic"). If you liked it enough that you really want to see it again, you did pick a fabulous time, as Hugh Panaro is the current Phantom, but if you look to other shows, you won't be Missing Out in that sense.

Best to you whatever you choose... just be sure to have a fabulous time!

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#7Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 1:15pm

I seriously recommend Phantom! I have never experienced something as beautiful as that show!

anaflores
#8Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 1:41pm

Thank you again for the input, everyone!

I've been planning/saving for this trip for a year now and I have no doubt it'll be fabulous, regardless of what shows I end up seeing. Thanks again!

Ana

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/18/11 at 8:29pm

If you are a Phantom fan, GO! Seeing Phantom on Broadway was just magical for me. If you love the show (like me), I would definitely see it in NYC. Enjoy your trip! Phantom on Broadway

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Phantom4ever
#10Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:05am

Catching the Phantom in New York is a matter of how big a fan you are. The tour is quite simiar except its more scenery pieces coming up from the stage as opposed being rolled in from the sides. As others have said its about that Broadway magic.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#11Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/11 at 1:45am

I have seen Phantom about 5 times on tour, and love it. I finally had the chance last year to see it on Broadway.

I must say it was 100 times better on Broadway. I can't say that about a lot ofother shows I have seen on tour and on Broadway, but I can with Phantom.

The special effects are far superior than you will see on tour. As mentioned most of the sets come up from the stage. It makes for great special effects.

If you are a fan of Phantom, you owe it to your self to see it on Broadway.

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#12Phantom on Broadway
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:22am

---About Phantom, the former tours have all closed. A new tour is projected for the UK and probably the US, but it will be a different production and will not have the same costumes, staging, and so on.

It will "follow the template of Mackintosh's recent newly designed and rethought revival of Les Miserables."

SO---from now on, New York and London will be the only places where the original production can be seen (and Las Vegas, sort of).

I don't know if this information will have any effect on your choices, but here it is.