pixeltracker

Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR

Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:03am

I think this is fantastic. As one of Daphne's biggest fans I can't even begin to think how fantastic she'll be as Stella.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Daphne-Rubin-Vega-Wood-Harris-Join-Broadways-A-STREETCAR-NAMED-DESIRE-20110823

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:09am

Isn't she a bit old for Stella? I thought she'd be a much better Blanche, actually.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:13am

She will be act that role brilliantly, but she is definitely too old for the role as it is traditionally presented. That said, it looks like this revival is trying to age everyone up, since unmarried women in their mid twenties with no children are no longer considered failures.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:15am

If I'm going to believe Blair Underwood is Polish, I can believe Daphne as Stella.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:34am

Wood Harris is way too attractive to play Mitch. The last Broadway revival had two Mitches; this one will have two Stanleys.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#5Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:52am

I thought she'd be playing Blanche when I saw the headline but regardless she'll be wonderful.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#6Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:56am

Bway-I think she'd be better as Blanche. I really do.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 12:21pm

this is some interesting casting choices.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

kidbroadway2
#8Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 1:31pm

He was terrific in Remember the Titans, I'm surprised he didn't really ever have that great a career.

Blactor
#9Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 3:05pm

kidbroadway:

He was also great on "The Wire" as well. It's a tough road for fellow blactors out there...even if they have MFAs from NYU, like Mr. Harris.

That said, this production and casting just gets weirder and weirder for me. I heard so many mixed things about "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", and now this same production team is bringing us "Streetcar". Just not sure I understand what the point is...but I'm always glad to see black folks working :)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 3:06pm

^ Well, at least Debbie Allen isn't directing. Then we'd really be sunk.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

iluvtheatertrash
#11Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 3:55pm

Considering that Harold 'Mitch' Mitchell is clearly described in the play, I find the casting bizarre.

Wood Harris looks about as much of a Mitch as I look like Zac Efron. I mean -- come on.

But Daphne? Now, THAT (age aside) is inspired. She'll be wonderful.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#12Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 4:08pm

Meh. But it's Streetcar, so I'd see it even with Debra Monk as Stanley.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#13Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 5:08pm

I agree with the comments about Daphne Rubin-Vega being more of a Blanche than a Stella. This will surely be an interesting production.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 5:13pm

I'm curious why (other than being slightly closer to the role in age) a good many people see Rubin-Vega more as a "Blanche." She seems so far from the ethereal, 'moth like' creature the role is described as in the original play.

The earthy Stella, however, feels right on. A perfect fit.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 7:06pm

Well, at least she won't have to croak, err, sing, in this.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#16Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 7:11pm

I think she'll be perfect as Stella, I just wish I could get excited about the casting choice for Blanche but I can't really muster any excitement for that.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#17Daphne Rubin-Vega & Wood Harris Join Broadway's STREETCAR
Posted: 8/23/11 at 8:18pm

Its certainly risky, eyebrow-raising casting.

Hopefully the risks this production is taking on pay off.