Les Miserables Tour

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#1Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 8/31/11 at 6:39pm

I saw the tour of Les Miserables and loved it, loved the way it has been re-staged and loved the new orchestrations.
Wondering if any of you guys have seen this yet? Or if anyone is going to see it, as I know the tour is not done yet?

Also do you think this should come back to Broadway next year when the tour is finished for a limited run, like 'Hair' has recently done?

thesixtyfirstpupil Profile Photo
thesixtyfirstpupil
#2Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 8/31/11 at 7:02pm

Not really. It should stay off for a few more years. After all, the "revival" closed in 2008, and the original production closed in 2003, so let's postpone the 2nd revival for another 10-15 years. :P

bwayfan7000
#2Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 8/31/11 at 7:13pm

I saw the tour this year, and it was my first exposure to the show, actually. I thought it was a very strong production.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 8/31/11 at 7:34pm

I didn't care for it, but I saw the show when they were in the middle of some cast changes so it was a little off. I did think they had some cool staging and designs though. I'm not the biggest Les Miserables fan to begin with though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

redmustang
#4Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 8/31/11 at 11:15pm

I liked Les Miz a lot, but I've seen it enough times to last me a while. Many other shows need revived more than this one.

Phantom of London
#5Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/1/11 at 10:52am

I am being mis-understood, I am not calling for a full Broadway revival, like what happened in 2007, I am just calling for a limited engagement like what 'Hair' has done to fill a empty theatre, while waiting for another show to go in.

However if Les Miserables was revived with the current touring production, it would run a lot longer than the 2007 revival for the following reasons;

1 - The 25th Anniversary celebration is a great marketing tool.

2 - The Susan Boyle effect is also a great marketing tool.

3 - The New York Time review of the 2007 revival stated, the following from Ben Brantley;

"This revival offers definite evidence of why Les Misrables, which continues to thrive in the West End in London, is the best of the mega-musicals of its era." Which Ben tells me it is one of the best musicals of all time.

"Its still a good story, but Daddy has delivered it so many times before  night after night after night  that his heart just isnt in it. In fact he seems kind of bored by even the most exciting parts. Lulled instead of stimulated by the familiar tale, you find yourself slipping into dreamland sooner than you ever planned." This tells me the original design was dated in 2007, I believe the 25th anniversary production addresses this.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Phantom of London
#7Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/1/11 at 6:45pm

Sorry Lizzie, are you the self appointed thread police, if you are not, can you go and **** yourself, as my question has not been answered on the other 3 threads you kindly posted.
Updated On: 9/1/11 at 06:45 PM

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#8Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/1/11 at 7:45pm

Go POL!

AlfieByrne
#9Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/1/11 at 9:17pm

lol

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/1/11 at 11:09pm

Your question about anyone having seen it? Yes, it has. Because there are posts and replies about it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwayfan7000
#11Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/1/11 at 11:17pm

I think the question POL is referring to is about the tour doing Broadway a la Hair Summer of Love. That has been discussed a little bit on this thread and also some on the Hair Back to Broadway thread, which POL posted in. Be nice to Lizzie for directing you to three separate threads on which the subject you're talking about has been discussed, POL. No reason to get upset!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#12Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/2/11 at 1:08am

I think this would do well on Broadway for a limited run. The April Fools Day joke a few years ago was that Roundabout was going to have the tour play the American Airlines prior to its U.S. tour. I remember this because I actually believed it for a minute... Les Miserables Tour

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayfan7000
#13Les Miserables Tour
Posted: 9/2/11 at 1:20am

Haha I remember that, bwayphreak! I was on vacation and, when I saw it, I literally shouted, "NOOOOO!" so loudly that my family wondered what was wrong. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been that phased by it, but I had been so excited for Everyday Rapture to be taking that spot as had been rumoured. I did have a good laugh about it later, though.

Videos