#1LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 12:18pm

A new/old Valjean LesMis Tour Cast change
fromTheatermania

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#2LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 1:52pm

Very happy with that choice. I loved him when I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl's Les Miz concert!

wonderful1
#2LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 3:41pm

This is great news! Now to get to LA....

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#3LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 3:59pm

He is FANTASTIC! So thrilled to see it when it gets to LA!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 5/24/11 at 03:59 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 4:01pm

I saw him on Broadway years ago and thought he was excellent. But I don't see why they couldn't have just stuck with Ron Sharpe, who was incredible each time I saw him.

Regardless, both men are huge improvements over the horrendous Lawrence Clayton.
Updated On: 5/13/11 at 04:01 PM

bwayfan7000
#5LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 4:37pm

I'm also surprised that Ron Sharpe didn't stay on. He was really giving a great performance.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

morningglory
#6LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 7:06pm

Playbill article

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#7LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 8:34pm

Sure wish I had covered this with McVey in the role. GREAT news for this excellent adaptation!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 9:39pm

Seeing this June 12 in AZ. The only bad news is that's the same night as the Tonys... not too happy about that. I am most excited to see Andrew Varela. I saw him understudy the Phantom and he was incredible.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 5/13/11 at 09:39 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 9:51pm

Seeing this June 7 in AZ. The only bad news is that's the same night as the Tonys...

The Tonys are June 12...

bwayphreak234
#10LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/13/11 at 10:55pm

Sorry meant I'm seeing it June 12. The show runs from June 7- June 12. I always mix up my dates

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#11LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/14/11 at 3:42pm

A bit odd they are going with someone who has played the role 2,700 times when they are trying so hard to make the show "new." As bad as this may sound, I felt that Lawrence Clayton (who I agree was barely adequate) was cast mostly because he was the first African-American Jean Valjean, putting a new spin on the role.

I wish Mr. Clayton well, as I do think he is a talented man; he just didn't have the right voice for the part. Is the whole lung infection thing the official reason given for his leaving?

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#12LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/14/11 at 7:15pm

The show is not really new; more like a bit updated. There are a few changes in scences, sets, staging and of course the addition of the background projections. IMO, the noticable difference is the energy in the cast especially the company.

Bringing in J Mark McVey is a very good thing, IMO. Mark is one of the few actors that are 'timeless' and perfect for this role. I am still amazed they chose Lawrence, a very talented, nice gentleman, but clearly not a great choice for the role. I hope he will be well and move on to other things.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 5/14/11 at 07:15 PM

eman02
#13LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/14/11 at 8:15pm

I really liked Lawrence Clayton.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#14LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/15/11 at 6:48pm

Best Valjean I ever saw live. How lovely!

theminutepast
#15LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/23/11 at 8:54pm

I saw the tour in Nashville this weekend. I wish J. Mark McVey was already in the role because Ron Sharpe gave a shameful performance. I have seen Les Miz ten times on Broadway and on tour, and I don't think I have ever seen a Valjean who faded into the background like Sharpe did.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#16LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:26am

How was his performance shameful? He can definitely sing, so what was the problem? I haven't seen him as valjean, but I did see him a handful of times as Marius back in the day and he was wonderful. I was curious to see him as Valjean, and while I'm pleased McVey--who I saw do the role at the Hollywood Bowl and on Broadway a few times--is stepping in, a part of me was eager to see Sharpe tackle the role.

I was also just beginning to really like what I had seen and heard of Clayton. I know he isn't your typical Valjean voice-type, but it wasn't hard for me to deem him believable and sympathetic in the role. Then again my exposure to his take was very limited, but what I did see/hear didn't horrify me like it did for others.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

morningglory
#17LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 6/30/11 at 7:12pm

Has anyone seen Les Mis in LA? Comments/review?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#18LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 6/30/11 at 7:20pm

Yes. Eh.... I think everyone in the show needs some time of. I missed the turntable. And for the most part the casting was straight out of central.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

bwayphreak234
#19LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 6/30/11 at 7:35pm

^ I agree. When I saw it they seemed tired and bored. Andrew Varela as Javert was pretty much the only thing I liked about the production.

morningglory
#20LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 6/30/11 at 7:40pm

Pardon my ignorance - but, what does 'casting was straight out of central' mean?

I did read some legit reviews and they were all great (LA Times review below) - I was just curious what some of you thought
LA Times

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#21LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 6/30/11 at 8:28pm

Yes the reviews were all great. Which baffled me even more. By "straight out of central" .. I mean straight out of central casting. Generic.. nothing special. No standouts. But they delivered. I am glad I went.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 6/30/11 at 08:28 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 6/30/11 at 11:26pm

I'm going next week.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#23LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 7/1/11 at 12:14am

The Stage Tube video that BWW posted of McVey singing Bring Him Home is not very impressive.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#24LesMis Tour Cast change
Posted: 7/1/11 at 12:40am

I saw it today for the second time and this time from the front row exact center behind the conductor who mouthed every word to all the songs. I loved it both times the first time being in the back side orchestra which cut off part of the left side of the stage. Some shows at the Ahmanson have been really bad for me from the front row but not Les Miz. It was awesome seeing all the emotions of the actor's performances and being able to look at the detail especially the beautiful projections sets from Victor Hugo's personal sketches.

My friend who was with me today and is a big Les Miz fan had seen it on Sunday evening. The comments made about the cast being tired was something he said that they seemed off from the 1st performance that we had seen. He also had Joe Tokarz who usually plays 3 roles (the Bishop being one of them) for Jean Valjean and he was not impressed. He said today that Mark McVey was just so much better. Let's just say he was incredible. It's my 3rd time seeing him play the role, twice at the Ahmanson and once at the Hollywood Bowl.

Had a Cosette U/S today Cathryn Basile and she was really good compared to Jenny Latimer who really didn't do anything for me when I saw her the first time.

Several mic problems today with a small one for Marius (Justin Scott Brown) but a major one for Eponine (Chasten Harmon). Her mic failed during her big song "On My Own". It was really sad to see her belting out the song and we could hardly hear her from the front row. She kept on singing and then at the moment where there was a break the audience applauded and cheered. By then her mic returned for the end of the song and the applause was deafening! Loved her Eponine!

Cast is really good and everyone was on for today's matinee. They could have phoned it in for the two show day but they didn't.

Casting is really excellent: McVey got huge applause for his pitch perfect performance of "Who Am I" which went on for a very long time and Andrew Varela is just astounding as Javert. He was my favorite in the show. Absolutely love the new "Soliloquy" staging which looks better from further back than in the front row. I was able to figure out how they did it. If I had my wish I'd love for him to be in the movie version but that ain't gonna happen.

Loved Betsy Morgan in "A Little Night Music" but she's too young at least for me to play Fantine. Her "I Dreamed A Dream" was good but nothing like what I wanted to hear.

The Thenardier's did not impress me the first time I saw them but they were much better today especially Madame Thernadier (Shawna M. Hamic).

From the front row I could pick out Madame Thernadier, Eponine and Cosette who played factory workers in "At the End of the Day".

Staging:
I did not miss the turntable set at all! I actually like this staging much better especially the Victor Hugo sketches used in the projections which look like paintings tinged with the same brooding passions and dark-hued humanity as his writing. From the sides of the Ahmanson some are not visible very well but if you're center staged there they look great. I really loved the sewer scenes that in the original version that I saw a long time ago at the old Shubert Theatre in Century City were just hanging lights leading to a "Wicked-like" exit along with the Thernadier's popping up from the floor. The new projections are a stand out in this new design.

I have one more chance to see it with my season tickets at the end of the run on July 24th. For me it turned out to be the best show of what was a great season at the Ahmanson! If you live in Southern California don't miss it or you'll have to wait until next summer to see it at OCPAC.
Updated On: 7/1/11 at 12:40 AM

Videos