Who does NOT love GLEE?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 5:52pm

Debra Messing was the only reason to watch that mess of a show. I understand the love for it since it featured two gay (yet ultimately asexual) characters but come on - that was a really unfunny mess of a show.

AwesomeDanny
#51Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 6:27pm

Most of my friends love this show, but I can't stand it. For some strange reason, though, I continue to watch it, hoping that it gets better. Most of the time, I skip through the songs because I can't stand the singing. I did enjoy this past episode, mostly to see Lea Michele cry upon realizing that she's not as amazing as she thought.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#52Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 7:21pm

I won't watch it. (But, somehow I was drawn to watching the audition show/competition. It got me annoyed in the same exact ways, but I was drawn to it.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SporkGoddess
#53Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 8:20pm

Well, they did just claim that Maria sings "Somewhere" and it'd be a perfect audition song for WSS. Aghhhh.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#54Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 8:26pm

When I was a gay teen, I wouldn't have wanted people to associate me with the likes of that female in drag on GLEE. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but I really hate it when gays are represented in such a negatively stereotypical way. I even want to tell that guy to "Man Up!" and I hate it when people say that.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#55Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 8:32pm

"Nobody gives a crap that you don't like the show. "

I beg to differ. I got so nauseatingly sick of hearing how great it is from almost everyone around me, that I was delighted to see this thread, and I gave a crap that others share my sentiment

"Congratulations, you don't like Glee. You're about as counter-culture as the people who buy their anarchy and Che Guevara t-shirts at Hot Topic."

LOL, And how much were those t-shirts last time you priced them, Orangeskittles?

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessagemodern.cfm?thread=1037284&m=4200569&boardid=1#ixzz1ZCcRjF7G

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#56Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 10:27pm

"Everyone thinks that because I am a Broadway fan I should love Glee... I don't love Glee BECAUSE I am a Broadway fan. I can't stand what they have done to some of my favorite songs."

THIS, thanks for this bwayphreak

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

MermansMan Profile Photo
MermansMan
#57Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 10:31pm

<----------- HATES GLEE...

"We'll serve anyone, meaning Anyone and to ANYONE at all!"

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#58Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 10:33pm

I happen to enjoy Glee, but that's not why I'm posting here. Someone earlier in the thread (I think it was Kad) made a point about how "revolutionary" it was that kids were being exposed to shows like Les Mis and WSS (quotes fully intended as sarcasm).

The thing is, it IS revolutionary. Because everyone this board is into theater, it's not that big a deal to us. You have NO idea the cultural bubble so many kids these days live in. I have students who've never HEARD of things like the Muppets or Bugs Bunny, let alone HUGE shows like Les Mis or West Side Story.

But some of them watch Glee. And some of them become familiar with shows BECAUSE of Glee. Theater geeks aren't the target audience. They're NEVER going to do a Sondheim episode. Think about it - they have Matthew Morrison and he's NEVER sung a full on Broadway ballad on the show. This is the most exposure MANY kids are getting to Broadway, so I give the show some slack on the choices they make.

Like the show or not, criticizing the show because they're doing "big" shows as opposed to obscure ones to cater to a small percentage of their audience makes no sense. I've had students who've told me they've looked into other shows because of Glee - and if they start with learning West Side Story, then so be it.
They're not going to win over any theater fans by having the entire cast do "A Weekend in the Country."

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

SporkGoddess
#59Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/27/11 at 10:52pm

But you can tell that the writers know nothing about theatre. It shows. It's not that they're dumbing it down for the audience, they seriously are just that ignorant about it. I don't get the impression that the writers love musicals at all, just that they write characters who (supposedly) love them.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 9/27/11 at 10:52 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#60Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/28/11 at 2:17pm

This is the show where the theatrical know-it-alls didn't know Cats hadn't been running on Broadway for a decade, right?

FindingNamo
#61Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/28/11 at 2:29pm

I could never get through a single episode. Acquaintances are always saying, "YOU must love Glee too, right?" But no.

I have no idea why none of these people who think they know me so well have yet to say, "You must be excited about Smash, right?" Because, YES, I am!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Gaveston2
#62Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/28/11 at 2:44pm

The first season was genius: the rival glee club does a production number of Amy Winehouse's "Rehab"; the football team sings (and dances) "Single Ladies" before a snap; Finn ejaculates prematurely in a hot tub and Quinn convinces him he got her pregnant; pretty much every scene Jane Lynch was in.

Then they did a second season, unfortunately, and now a third.

One longs for the BBC system where a show only airs six episodes per year.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#63Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/28/11 at 5:45pm

The second season WAS a mess. The writing was all over the place. The firs two episodes this season have been better....I'm hoping they can turn it around because I really DID enjoy the first season.

I'm hoping Smash is great, as well...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

BellatrixxLestrangee Profile Photo
BellatrixxLestrangee
#64Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/28/11 at 9:21pm

Like a lot of other people on this board, I really enjoyed the first season. It exposed me to Broadway and I am so glad that it did. However, I absolutely hated the second season. I stopped watching the show a couple episodes in.

You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for? -BP.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#65Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/29/11 at 11:51am

I hate it.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

rentfan2 Profile Photo
rentfan2
#66Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/29/11 at 12:03pm

I happen to love Glee, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

What I am against is the instant hatred of anyone who likes Glee.

Roscoe
#67Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/29/11 at 4:47pm

Count me in as a GLEE hater. Dreadful dreadful self-righteous show. Foul.

Although I will admit that I have occasionally watched to get a glimpse of that dim bulb blonde, her character had been a cheerleader, I think her name is Britney, and she always makes me laugh. Her delivery of some of those outlandish lines is just spot-on. I remember once when Morrison said something about not throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and she replied, "I totally did that once."

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Moneyspider
#68Who does NOT love GLEE?
Posted: 9/30/11 at 12:47am

I'm hoping its success mean we stop getting "gay if you want, metrosexual if not" characters.

Videos