pixeltracker

Godspell - First Preview Tonight- Page 5

Godspell - First Preview Tonight

kyle4
#100Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:23pm

i thought i heard someone mention my name... happy anniversary ITJAY !!!

GODSPELL just followed me on my twitter... so i asked about the WEEPING actress...

i will report if they respond !!!

p.s. my twitter is @thetheaterbuff and my blog is

http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#101Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:29pm

What, no true crime jokes("Everyone's innocent in the eyes of our Father, even Casey Anthony.") Stanley Steamer commercials ("I've baptized an Alpaca and it was awesome!") Surely a reference to THE CHEW ("Mario Batali baked the communion wafer, a mix of savory and sweet.") Topical seldom means funny, and usually means self-conscious. American Idol singing and Donald Trump humor; I think I'll probably pass.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

dave1606
#102Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:39pm

Prepare Ye is all I can say. Thanks to a friend, I got to go via the lottery last night and was pretty shocked by how bad it was.

First, a word of warning for those who win the lottery: You will work for your seat. The audience members in these seats have a good deal of interaction, but worse, you have to sit on a cushion with very little room to move. Worse, there is a scene in the first act where you literally have to remove your seat and flip it over to be part of the action, now sitting on the floor. Maybe a cute act for those watching, but pretty painful for the lotto winners. I know, I should be grateful I won, but honestly standing room is more comfortable than those seats.

I am thankful I did not pay more than $30 to see this show sadly. Everything about this production screamed cheap to me.

We get very little set, cheap props, and even cheaper pop-culture references. The Steve Jobs reference was simply tacky.

The Sound was horrific. Putting the band throughout the audience was a major mistake. The actors were drowned out by the band on most songs. This has a chance of being fixed by opening, but it will be difficult due to the setup as it stands now.

The opening with the cell phones was extremely rough, and I had not a clue of what was going on.

I can barely judge the cast on what they were given. They were all pretty tired vocally, and because of the sound we didn't always hear them above the band.

The trampoline scene was one of the more surreal moments I have experienced at a theater. I couldn't believe that was happening.

I will say that the last five minutes held some power, but were diminished because of all that came before.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#103Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:40pm

3) (who is an intern in the producer's or marketer's office) "I saw [show], too!! I thought it was great!! [Actor] was sooo cute and sang his heart out!! It's gonna be a huuuuge hit!"

I didn't realize so many of the people who have posted here regularly for years were shills for Night Music, Book of Mormon, Priscilla, Anything Goes and Follies. Before the age of internet, nobody liked a preview performance?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#104Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:48pm

I didn't realize so many of the people who have posted here regularly for years were shills for Night Music, Book of Mormon, Priscilla, Anything Goes and Follies. Before the age of internet, nobody liked a preview performance?

I think the poster was talking about preview threads of shows that are legitimately bad and these shows getting trashed before opening. When that is the case, obvious shills post random raves that come out of nowhere, they are defensive/agressive and usally contain desperate praise "The theatre was packed, everyone loved it, it will run for 300 years!"

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

FindingNamo
#105Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:48pm

I would go see Auggie's rewrite in a heartbeat.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Ed_Mottershead
#106Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:51pm

On an extraneous note, a friend of mine was sitting in a bar, right next to someone who's involved in the costuming and he overheard the guy say "It's not ready to see." If the people involved in the show are saying those things publicly, think what the poor suckers who paid full price are thinking!

BroadwayEd

FindingNamo
#107Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 2:53pm

Does overhearing something technically count as "saying publicly"?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#109Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:26pm

Did you check out the just-posted photos? Bears little resemblance to GODSPELL'S of yore, looking more like a CANDIDE done in a mediocre state school theater department, with insufficient funding and serious misconceptions about what "multiculturalism" means.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#110Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:28pm

Where does it take place? In someone's attic?

FindingNamo
#111Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:29pm

I will never understand a Godspell Jesus without a Superman t-shirt.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#112Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:34pm

It looks like hipster Hair. Or photos from a theatre camp.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#113Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:36pm

I've just come across this on facebook. This person isn't really a regular theatergoer, but they loved it!

"it was AMAZING... I am crying just thinking about it... I want to go again and again and again..."

Lol.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#114Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:37pm

Reminding me: the only Jesus I've enjoyed (!) was Jeremy Sisto's. Check it out. He gets roaring drunk at a wedding, and Mother Mary, coming to him in the Let It Be sense, is Jacqueline Bisset no less, and scolds him. Ground breaking and ahead of it's time. If Martin Luther King can smoke and flirt on Broadway, Jesus can have too many c****nays on NBC.

broadfan327
#115Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 3:47pm

Jesus gets offered a Superman T-Shirt, but he refuses it. I didn't realize the inside joke.

junkyard
#116Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:21pm

Many of the preview posts by people who have not yet seen a particular show often have the feel of being written by actors who didn't get a call back .......but such is the nature of this business. I prefer the pre-computer days when we could not post insults, etc. it was much more fun to go to the the "Triple Inn" and get wasted with all your other unemployed actor friends.

FindingNamo
#117Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:21pm

Then that's the stupidest Jesus in Christendom.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#118Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:22pm

I didn't audition for it and I'm a teetotaler.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#119Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:30pm

What happened with the trampoline?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#120Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:31pm

Re my prior post: Ya learn something new every day. Who knew that a white wine, C****nay, has a naughty codified word in it.

"Is that a c****nay in your pocket or are you just glad to see me."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#121Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:36pm

That's why my catchphrase, "C****nay gives me a ****" never caught on.

FindingNamo
#122Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:36pm

"Cbonernay"?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#123Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 4:37pm

I think that's a singer.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#124Godspell - First Preview Tonight
Posted: 10/14/11 at 5:09pm

It's a device used to open baked potatoes without burning your fingers.