pixeltracker

She's Back! CARRIE - First preview !!! - Page 3

She's Back! CARRIE - First preview !!!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#50Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:30pm

The moment itself is iconic. I can't conceive the idea that any director in his right mind would think that a freakin' red light would be enough.

He should do Peter Pan without the flying too. Lame.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#51Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:33pm

Well, this makes me nuts. I was worried they'd do something like this -- either a red light or fabric or something. Nope, the blood dump is too iconic. I think it needs to be literally translated to stage or you're going to get a bunch of 'WHAT, NO BLOOD?' comments like the one above -- and that can kill a show.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#52Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:37pm

ThEre were also only 3 other couples at the prom because the cast was so small. That was kind of a mess!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#53Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:39pm

I wonder why. Is it the expense of the blood? That it could stain her costume? If it's still the mic issue that faced the original production, they should just take Carrie's mic off for the finale...I mean, that theater is the size of a broom closet. Maybe they thought it would be jarring in context of the show's new intimacy, but in a scaled-back, minimalist production, wouldn't the blood be MORE effective and shocking?

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#54Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:40pm

Otherwise, Fame -- did you like the show?

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#55Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:42pm

Scarywarhol -- My suspicion: Pitchford. When I met with him and Gore in the '90's about staging it, he thought it needed to be 'theatrical', and by that he meant 'like Kiss of the Spider Woman'. His words, not mine.

I'd say that dumping a bucket of stage blood from the rafters onto an actress is fairly 'theatrical'.

Updated On: 1/31/12 at 09:42 PM

Scarywarhol
#56Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:44pm

Even hitting her with water (a la Flashdance) under a red light sounds like a better idea.

Famebroadway2
#57Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:46pm

Yes I did like the show a lot up until there was no blood. Carrie left the gym and walked into her home covered in blood? Excuse me?

I will post more in a few min when I can sit still.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#58Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:46pm

I mean, that theater is the size of a broom closet. Maybe they thought it would be jarring in context of the show's new intimacy, but in a scaled-back, minimalist production, wouldn't the blood be MORE effective and shocking?

Beyond that, the bucket of blood and Carrie full of it, is the first image that comes to most people's minds. Simply throwing a bucket full of blood on someone will always be directly linked to Carrie. If he wants us to stick with a f****** red bulb, he can take the show back to flopsville.

And, really, a red light?! What is this the 60's? Did he run out of imagination?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#59Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:53pm

So much for Arima's so-called genius imagination. This makes me regret the fact that I bought a full-priced ticket.

Updated On: 1/31/12 at 09:53 PM

Scarywarhol
#60Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:54pm

I realize that we're creating a complete stereotype of first-preview threads (well, the ones that turn out badly), but my head is absolutely spinning over this information. I cannot believe that they didn't stage that moment. Why do the show if you don't have the means to stage that moment? It sounds like re-writing Phantom with a lightbulb for the chandelier. Updated On: 1/31/12 at 09:54 PM

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#61Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:56pm

Sad to hear about the lack of actual blood. Red lights seem like way too much of an homage to the 70s cheesiness of the movie's destruction scene. Hopefully that gets retooled and fast. I suspect it's not really about her head mic (most productions of South Pacific have solved the wet head mic problem for their shower scene), but more likely about her costume, the costumes of others, the clean up of the stage and, depending on the staging, the proximity and likelihood of splashing into the audience.

Otherwise, I'm encouraged to hear comparisons to the staging and "vibe" of Spring Awakening, as I've thought for a while that could be a good direction for the parts of the show that revolve around the teenage characters. Still intrigued and optimistic about this show!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#62Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:58pm

I realize that we're creating a complete stereotype of first-preview threads

This is different. I'm not putting the whole production down, but the one decision. And I think we have the right - we're not criticizing whether Carrie's dress was blue or white.

And if they fix it, great. But I will still question why they had to even consider it in the first place.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#63Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 9:58pm

I wish it well too, Hyperbole, but.... "Yeah, it's good but the prom scene is lame." That's a show killer, methinks.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#64Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:01pm

OK what i love about this thread is Fameboy has told us he really liked the show up until that moment at the very end and everyone is hung up on the blood....really?

Yes it's a shame, yes it's an iconic image from the film but we have no idea how the effect of the lights look, if it fits in with the style of the rest of the production etc. I for one am excited to hear that the show is in great shape on its FIRST preview. This show clearly has a lot of things it needed to turnh around and it sounds like they have done it.....apart from a bucket of blood.

We knew the destruction would be staged with projections, lights and sound, it's off Broadway, they dont have the 8 million budget that the original did (though saying that The Destruction in the original was awful, an 80s nightmare, but with an awesome staircase....even though it made no sense).

If the main negative at the moment is just about the blood then all in all it looks like they have done a good job, and they still have a month of previews yet.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#65Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:02pm

but more likely about her costume, the costumes of others, the clean up of the stage and, depending on the staging, the proximity and likelihood of splashing into the audience.

If that's a concern, then you don't put on Carrie. That's like not having Peter Pan fly out of concern of staging, safety, number of harnesses needed, etc. - you just don't do the show.

Plus, if anyone here saw Evil Dead, you'd know that stage blood cannot be an excuse. They had TONS of blood in a tiny space. Certainly more than a single bucket.

Grrrrr! All these years and the best he can come up with is a red light. That makes me mad.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#66Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:08pm

If you do Carrie, you pour blood on her at the prom.

If you do Mary Poppins or Peter Pan, they fly.

If you do Phantom of the Opera, you drop a chandelier on the audience.

Essentials.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

songanddanceman2
#67Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:16pm

Musical Numbers
Act 1
1. In
2. Carrie
3. Open Your Heart
4. The World According to Chris
5. Evening Prayers
6. Dreamer in Disguise
7. Once You See
8. Unsuspecting Hearts
9. Do Me A Favor
10. I Remember How Those Boys Could Dance

Act 2
1. A Night We'll Never Forget
2. You Shine
3. Why Not Me
4. Stay Here Instead
5. When There's No One
6. The Prom
7. Carrie Reprise
8. Epilogue

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#68Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:18pm

"Eve Was Weak" is not in the show!? Seriously...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#69Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:19pm

That MUST be a typo. WTFFFF

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Famebroadway2
#70Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:20pm

Don't get me wrong the show was great up until the bloodless destruction. Please get it back in and fast! I might have been ok with it if Carre didn't arrive at home covered in blood? How did that happen?

My partner loved the destruction, but I was so put off by the lack of blood that I couldn't concentrate on what was happening.

The use of the students throughout was very effective and they add a spooky feeling.

The effects here are better than the Broadway production. Light bulb pop, statue levitating, chairs moving and tipping over, doors slamming and a few pops of surprises.

If it moves uptown they will really have to rethink the physical prod.

Is it a flop ? No, but it's not a break out hit.. YET! It definitely has potential.

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#71Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:21pm

I'm sure hoping so. When I think of Carrie, that's one of the first things I think of, along with the blood.

songanddanceman2
#72Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:22pm

Its a typo, yikes, what a typo to do, yes it's in the show after Open Your Heart, sorry guys

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#73Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:23pm

How was Marin?

bobbybaby85
#74Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 1/31/12 at 10:24pm

Updated On: 2/19/18 at 10:24 PM