pixeltracker

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS (Spoilers Inside)- Page 2

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS (Spoilers Inside)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#25ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:41am

Maybe I should bring a liverwurst sandwich when I go.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#26ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:42am

Thanks PJ- I'll look it up!

bjh- Really?! Ok well I feel completely stupid right now for being so fooled. The guy really did a good job of faking it. I had four friends there tonight and all five of us were convinced that moment was authentic. Ha, well I guess that goes to show how great Corden was at appearing spontaneous. It was such a great moment, and still is. I assume most people won't bother to read the script and will leave the theater just as tricked as I was. Thanks for setting me straight though.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WhizzerMarvin
#27ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:43am

Yes PJ! Now that you know beat the hummus guy to the punch and REALLY make Corden ad-lib!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#28ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:47am

Yes PJ! Now that you know beat the hummus guy to the punch and REALLY make Corden ad-lib!

THAT would be hilarious!

Ha, well I guess that goes to show how great Corden was at appearing spontaneous. It was such a great moment, and still is. I assume most people won't bother to read the script and will leave the theater just as tricked as I was.

Oh absolutely! It's a great credit to his performance. He makes everything look spontaneous. I was sitting next to the guy and didn't realize it was fake until he didn't show up for Act 2.

SPOILER ALERT:

Did you also think the girl in the food scene was a real audience member? She's also a cast member. She even takes a bow at the end in her bathrobe.

WhizzerMarvin
#29ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:53am

SPOILER*********

Yes I was completely duped with "Catherine Patterson" too until they threw the water on her and shot the fire extinguisher. She was so fricking fantastic at playing the reluctant audience participator. It was so real until that final moment. Really another brilliant performance.

And omg Alfie!! He stole every second he was on stage, and that's quite the tough task considering who he was sharing it with. Amazing.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#30ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:54am

I'm really worried about seeing this again. I loved it so much in London, but I feel like the best parts were the parts that I THOUGHT were improvised as I was watching it. Knowing now that those parts were scripted and that I will be expecting them, I wonder if I will find the play significantly less funny.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 1:14am

I can't wait to see this. What's the production like?

pariswho Profile Photo
pariswho
#32ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 1:14am

Oh my god, I am so annoying in this thread, but all of these comments are making me so happy! I've read the play backwards and forwards a thousand times. I just love it so much and I am SO THRILLED to hear that people here in America seem to love it too.

And YES! Oliver Chris! Obviously Corden is a gem, but OLIVER CHRIS, guys. He's got brilliant comic timing. He's done loads of television in the UK, including a major role in the wonderful series Green Wing (it's all on Hulu - look it up!) and also a part in the original The Office with Ricky Gervais. If you ask me, I'm pulling more for Chris to win the Best Supporting Actor Tony than I am for Corden for the lead.

JoanBennett Profile Photo
JoanBennett
#33ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 1:41am

I really enjoyed myself - and I think I would on a second viewing where I could catch more jokes, enjoy the physical setups, listen to the lyrics better, and see who gets pulled up on stage for the other bit.

I think on a second trip, I'd get the headphones to try to catch more...

ThankstoPhantom
#34ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 2:11am

Saw this in London. It's bloody brilliant. Please avoid calling Corden's show...it's everyone's, really...an amazing ensemble cast. And yes, YES, to Oliver Chris!

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#35ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 11:57am

Yep, I was at the dress rehearsal Friday afternoon, too. Haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time. The elderly waiter flying down the steps... the 'audience member' onstage at the end of the first act... that hairy back... too too much.

And you'll go crazy for 'The Craze.' Them boys are so damn adorable.

Very funny show. Very British. Traditional English fare, but oh, so wonderful 'cause it's very universal.

Broadway really needs this show to round out the wonderful season.

The invited dress audience, filled with a lot of the Broadway community, screamed in delight. The sun was shining outside on a beautiful Good Friday afternoon, but there was no better place to be than inside the Music Box.

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#36ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 12:03pm

Brantley LOVED this production when he reviewed it last summer and I'm sure that's one of the reasons it's here this season on Broadway. And even if the second act doesn't fly as high as the first, this show will win over even the most self-involved critic. The elderly waiter alone will make you lose it!

Going again this week with a Manchego Cheese and chorizo sandwich in hand. ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS

Hey, who knows? Maybe I can make my Broadway debut.

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

After Eight
#37ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 6:19pm

An excellent piece of theatre. A funny play, with several inspired moments. Very well acted and directed. The musical numbers could/should be reduced, or eliminated entirely. They needlessly protract the play's length.

tatter47
#38ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 6:56pm

I really want to see this production but I need help with seating. My options are center orch.first row (Row AA),left orch. row M seat 1, or center mezz. row B. Any help will be appreciated.

JoanBennett
#39ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 7:48pm

FRONT ROW! trust me

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#40ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 8:20pm

Your average Americans won't get this sort of humor.

Ben Brantley hated it, when he saw it in London.
One Man Two Guvnors - NY Times

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#41ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 9:36pm

I completely disagree. I think most Americans will find this hysterical. Also, I don't know what review you're reading, but Brantley loved the show in London. That review is practically a rave.

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#42ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 11:23pm

We didn't get to the dress rehearsal Friday until about ten minutes before it started. Much of the orchestra was roped off for the production, but the G.M. told us the show played great from the mezzanine, so up we went all those stairs to the fourth of fifth row mezzanine, house left, and it was pretty terrific. You'll have a great time wherever you sit. The Music Box is a wonderful house.

p.s. And as someone else mentioned, Brantley RAVED about the show when he saw it in London (July 2011) and without a doubt, he'll do the same here in New York. Broadway needs a good ole' show where your sides will hurt from laughing. And yep, this British humor translates perfectly. Someone told me today they hadn't laughed so hard since SPAMALOT.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#43ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 11:34pm

******POSSIBLE SPOILER*************************

I can't figure out whether this is an ad lib or not: During tonight's performance, after Francis asked "Does anyone have a sandwich?," an audience member hurled a plastic bag up on stage. Francis looked at the bag and grinned, saying, "You've seen the show before." He picked it up and commented on the name of the shop, which was printed on the bag. (It was an English company I didn't recognize.) He said it was downmarket. Then he looked inside, and there was a triangular-shaped sandwich package, but no sandwich. When Francis looked up, puzzled, the audience member said, "They wouldn't let the sandwich through customs." Francis feigned disappointment that there was no sandwich, and the audience howled. A very funny bit! It seemed ad libbed to me, but then again, so did the other parts that turned out to be scripted!

Updated On: 4/8/12 at 11:34 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#44ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/7/12 at 11:47pm

That would, in fact, be ad libbed! How exciting. Did he then proceed with the rest of the sandwich gag?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#45ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 12:57am

Yes, I'm pretty sure he said to the audience, "Let's pretend this never happened," and then said again, "Does anyone have a sandwich?" That led into the hummus bit, which was exactly as described above.

It would be funny if something different happened every night, and to some extent, I'm sure it does!

JoanBennett
#46ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 12:59am

Oh, I agree completely that theatre going Americans won't get this show at all, because, you know, that crowd doesn't get Monty Python... or Ab Fab... or Faulty Towers... or Shirley Valentine... or Dr. Who... or French & Saunders... or The Vicar of Dibley... or Shakespeare... or G&S.... or... or Burma

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#47ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 1:08am

There were a couple of small things I think we Americans didn't get. Like, the characters kept commenting that the pub did food, and apparently that's funny because so many pubs don't. Also, a character was described disparagingly as being from the north, and I guess that's a putdown. So I'm wondering how much the script was adapted before the show was moved to the States.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#48ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 9:11am

James Corden:

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS

David Beckham:

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS

Just to be absolutely clear... the first photograph is James Corden, the second photograph is David Beckham.

Do not get the two confused.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#49ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 12:08pm

I just adjusted my plans for next week to stay a few hours longer to catch this! It's the day after opening (I originally wanted tix for this, but my available day was opening night!)

Front row.

Very excited!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos