pixeltracker

Nice Work If You Can Get It- Page 3

Nice Work If You Can Get It

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#50Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 9:17am

^interesting, BDN, but I've even noticed the trend with revivals. Follies, Porgy and Bess, and even On A Clear Day were all much stronger in Act 2.

"How's Matt's dancing?"

He gets an A for stamina - no small feat when you consider that he doesn't look, not to put too fine a point on it, exactly athletic these days. He moves adorably in a limited goofy way which is perfect for the aging, sweet do-nothing billionaire playboy character and his branded Broderick deadpan take on the role, which, as I said before, many of us have had enough of to last a lifetime, shockingly works - once the book cooperates with him, which it does so much more in the second act (as it does all around for all concerned).

Whatever he is doing movement wise, he's relaxed, in the moment, in character and making it work.

And he sings very well, probably better than I've ever heard him (although his first strains of Sweet and Low Down, top of Act One, were a bit shaky).

He is so much better, more relaxed, genuine and genuinely charming in this show than he was in his tony winning paint-by-numbers take on Finch (meh!), that it would be a shame if he didn't at least get a Tony nod. But as Whizzer has said, it will all depend on the competition.

I couldn't agree more with Whizzer, that what Judy Kaye does in that luncheon scene is stellar. It alone is worth the price of admission.

I wouldn't in a million years say that Marshall has outdone herself. Her Anything Goes is a masterpiece.

Updated On: 3/30/12 at 09:17 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#51Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 9:22am

I believe it's a 17 piece orchestration for Nice Work. Glad to see the positive reports from last night. I remember that My One and Only was a complete catastrophe in its Boston tryout and the book for Crazy for You was short on laughs in Washington - so good to see that Nice Work, of the rejiggered Gershwin musicals, seems off to a smoother start. (Kathleen Marshall's shows are usually in incredibly solid shape for first preview). With almost a month of previews, I would think it will be a well-oiled machine by opening. Given the level of vitriol that was directed at this show on the message boards for no reason I could discern, I'd like nothing more for it to do well with critics and audiences.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#52Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 9:24am

About how full was the theatre last night? Glad to hear some positive things... Updated On: 3/30/12 at 09:24 AM

henrikegerman
#53Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 9:47am

^PACKED!

At intermission, the crowding in the second floor lobby fronting the bathrooms was a disaster. Fire hazzard, making me appreciate more than ever the new spacious facilities at the Signature. Thank you Frank Gehry.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#54Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 10:02am

I'd say that the mezz was about 95% full - just a small portion on the extreme sides were empty (those seats may be considered partial view).

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#55Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 10:09am

I think the mezz was a lot less than 95% full. There were large pockets on the side of empty seats. I didn't see the orchestra, but a friend mentioned it was up on tkts and show was not sold out. Still I think this will be a big hit with tourists, group sales, etc

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#56Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 10:51am

Joe DePietro seems like he's really very good at creating jukebox musicals. (I mean...not All Shook Up...)

henrikegerman
#57Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 11:29am

Here he's getting a not insignificant amount of help from Bolton and Wodehouse. Having said that, the first act is still not working.

Updated On: 3/30/12 at 11:29 AM

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#58Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 1:35pm

How was Robyn Hurder? Can someone explain her character?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#59Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 2:02pm

Robyn was good in the part, I just don't understand why they needed that relationship with Duke at all. When cuts are made, they should consider cutting this. There's already other relationships established that work well. Contrary to others who have posted, I felt the second act was bogged down with too much and the first act set up was decent.

Another very minor point was the costuming. Why they would want to dress Broderick in white suit jackets and sweaters is beyond me. He is the palest actor on earth and having him wear white just isn't understandable.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

henrikegerman
#60Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 3:22pm

Robyn Hurder is excellent and Chris Sullivan (Duke) is a hoot. And I have to respectfully disagree with mc on this one. All of their scenes are working just fine and if they weren't romantically paired each of them would have next to nothing left. That and the show is SPOILER ALERT (for those who've never seen a 1920s era show before) - set up for all of the principles to find their love match.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#61Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 3:39pm

So what are the odds of Derek McLane getting a nod for set design for this?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#62Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 4:22pm

I rarely like to see shows so early in gestation...but I bought two great seats from TKTS BKLN (does ANYONE use this location?) for tonight.

I hope my mom enjoys it!

Updated On: 3/30/12 at 04:22 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#63Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 6:12pm

Yes I think McLane will get a nom for sets.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Rentfan931
#64Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 6:20pm

Are there any gunshots in the show?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#65Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 6:45pm

Bit surprised Clap Yo Hands wasn't included from Oh Kay. Can't wait to see photos and genuine clips from this show. I admit the set design work in the sketches looked gorgeous.

henrikegerman
#66Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 6:52pm

"but I bought two great seats from TKTS BKLN (does ANYONE use this location?) for tonight."

Play Esq, yes, I work nearby and use Bkln TKTS; in fact I got my Nice Work ticket for last night's show there. It's one of the city's best secrets; one never has to wait in line.

Updated On: 3/30/12 at 06:52 PM

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#67Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/30/12 at 9:07pm

McLane could very well have 3 nominations this year (The Best Man, Follies, Nice Work).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#68Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 1:17am

I thought his Follies set was rather lame. He's sort of hit or miss, to me.

What's his overall design concept for this show?

Wayman_Wong
#69Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 1:26am

'Joe DiPietro seems like he's really very good at creating jukebox musicals.'

Besides 'All Shook Up,' which featured Elvis Presley tunes, 'Nice Work' would be only his second jukebox show.

He's written the book to 'Memphis,' 'I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change,' 'The Toxic Avenger,' 'The Thing About Men' and 'Falling for Love' - which all have original scores.

sharkie2
#70Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 5:30pm

Saw it last night. Full house, but one of the flattest productions I've seen in years. It felt like a walk through and far from something ready for prime time. The scenes with "Duke" in fact were some of the few bright spots. In fact, the supporting cast was far better than the leads. On paper, this should be a huge hit. In reality it appears teetering on the edge of disaster. My companion was googling "Broderick + Health" at intermission. I don't know how this can be rescued. It's sad because it should be fabulous.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#71Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 7:12pm

Sharkie..I don't know what show you went to but it isn't the same show I've seen. I went again this afternoon to give it another look from the opening preview just to make sure I wasn't caught up in the first performance excitement. It was anything but flat. It was crisp, vocals were strong, comedy was spot on and the dancing was superb. The other night the crowd was on it's feet from the beginning of the bows, today the crowd rose to their feet only when the leads took their bows. However, they were very enthusastic throughtout and there were many times applause were extended. Broderick and Kelli's dance to S'Wonderful brought the house down and they both seemed much more relaxed with the dance. I do feel that Broderick's character changes to the more timid type that Broderick plays all too often in the second act. However, I feel he is terrific all through the first act.

I actually enjoyed the Duke/Jeannie song much better today than the other night. I do think By Strauss should be cut but again, it sets up two of the characters so I'm not sure what they'll do come opening night. The show seemed a bit shorter but I can't really tell, maybe some dialouge but no songs yet.

Second time, even better.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#72Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 7:14pm

Just noticed Sharkie2's join date...hmmm....

wonkit
#73Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 7:26pm

So what is the antonym of "shill"?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#74Nice Work If You Can Get It
Posted: 3/31/12 at 7:31pm

"Krill"?

SO happy to hear such good news. I love Ms. Marshall's work, always polished and joyful in its celebration of the natural rhythm of musical comedy.

Updated On: 3/31/12 at 07:31 PM