pixeltracker

Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...- Page 2

Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#25Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 12:48pm

It's just amazing that a show that runs 2 and 1/2 weeks and is widely reviled as schlock gets a tour. I suppose some markets will buy anything to fill a season. Gazillion Bubble Show would probably be just as good by them. Maybe better.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#26Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 12:51pm

It probably going to do just a non-equity tour like Catch Me, and don't discount the selling power of Menken in the Midwest.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#27Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 12:52pm

Just because Ben Brantley didn't like it doesn't mean that others won't. From what I've seen on the interwebs, the audience members enjoyed the show, even if Brantley did savage work tearing it apart and maiming it.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#28Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 12:56pm

"Just because Ben Brantley didn't like it doesn't mean that others won't." There were some others who loathed it, too.

"From what I've seen on the interwebs, the audience members enjoyed the show..." This audience member didn't enjoy it; and clearly not enough audience members enjoyed it to give it sufficient word of mouth to run more than 2 and 1/2 weeks.

Updated On: 5/31/12 at 12:56 PM

Bwaydide92
#29Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 2:11pm

Just because it was nominated for Best Musical doesn't mean it will perform. It cost more than $100,000 to perform at the Tonys, so a show that lost 14 million a month before the Tonys is not likely to perform. The tour and record sales are the only reason it's performing.

Most, maybe all, of the major critics hated Leap of Faith, and obviously not enough people liked it enough to pay more than $20 (about the average ticket price)to see it. And I tend to like shows more when I know I'm not wasting a lot of money on it.

wonkit
#30Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 2:44pm

When was a national tour officially announced? I must have missed that one.

I loved the show.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 5/31/12 at 11:41pm

If this "tour" ever happens, I will eat my hat.
The one who should be most embarassed would be the Raul.
Why would he perform after the scathing review he got from the TIMES?
Some "producers" love to throw away money.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#32Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 7:08am

Cry-Baby also said that they were planning to launch a tour after their short run in 2008. That never happened.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#33Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 9:22am

Good to hear?

Why wouldn't Raul perform? He was the reason we went to the show in the first place!

Bwaydide92
#34Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 2:11pm

I don't think he perform because the show had such a short run and it was critically panned, including his performance. It's not like when The Scottsboro Boys performed last year, I believe that show got really good reviews, it just didn't get a large enough audience. And he's not nominated for best actor, so I don't think he gets anything out of it

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#35Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 3:24pm

@GatorNY, That is true. Well, despite the bad reviews, I do hope for a national tour. I would like the oppurtunity to see the show and judge it for myself.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#36Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 3:50pm

Well, then, maybe you could also ask your local presenter to demand tours of Glory Days, Hot Feet, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, The Pirate Queen, A Tale of Two Cities, In My Life, Dance of the Vampires, Bonnie and Clyde, The Story of my Life and other unbearably bad mega-flops.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#37Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 3:53pm

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson got a rave for the nytimes, as well as other papers. It was just not embraced by the general public. It was "too experimental" for broadway.

Bwaydide92
#38Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 4:03pm

I saw the World Premiere of BBAJ at The Kirk Douglas in LA and it was amazing. More for a younger audience though, so I see why it didn't make it on Broadway. I think it would have had a long life off-Broadway

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#39Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/1/12 at 5:05pm

I can't see a tour happening for this either - does anyone have any idea that this movie existed anymore?

Titles like A Tale of Two Cities, WONDERLAND, Bonnie & Clyde, Ghost, etc would do better than this on tour, especially considering that the reviews for all the musicals were pretty terrible.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#40Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/2/12 at 12:06am

I would love to see Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson! I love their cast album, and listen to it constantly!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#41Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/2/12 at 12:30pm

I'm frankly confused as to why anyone thinks producers in their right minds would tour this thing. And sell it based on what? Being a spectacular flop? Adapted from a movie that virtually nobody even knows exists? Yes, audiences at large seemed to really go for it once you got them in the building, but it just seems wildly unrealistic (and kind of silly) to me.

I saw the show the week before it closed and I haven't posted about it because I don't think anybody really cares what I have to say. But it made me so upset because it was just a skeleton of what it used to be. (Opinion based on previous incarnations.) It was heartbreaking to have seen how great it could have been, and then to see that hacked to pieces. It just didn't work. And the worst part is that it could have. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time anyway and I'm glad I made it home in time to see it because seeing Raul in a musical is one of my happiest states. But those feeling can exist at the same time, and objectively, seeing what happened to that show was very disappointing.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/2/12 at 12:30 PM

timote316
#42Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/2/12 at 12:36pm

Personally, I like that the first page of this thread says that a LEAP OF FAITH performance would take time away from other shows performing, then suggests a longer performance for FOLLIES. You know, another show that has been closed for months.

I know, I know, you'll argue FOLLIES was good and LEAP OF FAITH is, well, not... but let's be real about what the Tonys are around to promote, shall we?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43Leap of Faith to perform at the Tonys...
Posted: 6/2/12 at 12:46pm

Thank you timote.

Just give the world Love.