Great Cut Songs

After Eight
#25Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 4:16pm

The title song and "That's What I Want for Janie" were cut during the run of Wildcat. I'm sorry they were.

Probably the best-ever cut song was "From This Moment On" from Out of This World, cut out of town.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 5:08pm

"There's Always a Woman" from Anyone Can Whistle. It's a totally superfluous song with no purpose other than to have Cora and Fay sing a duet, but since those roles are so often played by such wonderful actresses...

I also really love "Second Midnight" from Into the Woods, even though it eventually became "Children Will Listen". The "How will we say to our child in the night..." sections are really lovely.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#27Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 5:45pm

"Silly People" from A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

TheHappyPhantom
#28Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 6:07pm

There won't be Trumpets is great. Also, There's Always a Woman, also from Anyone Can Whistle, is great.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#29Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 6:36pm

"Silly People" is a great song, but wrong for the show. It should have been cut. Still enjoyable though.

Ghostfan2
#30Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 6:45pm

Too Much From One Heart - Miss Saigon
Sacred Bird - Miss Saigon

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#31Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:06pm

I love the two other versions of Phyllis' folly - Ah, But Underneath and Uptown/Downtown have some of Sondheim's greatest rhymes. "She thinks of the Ritz, oh, it's so schizo." I mean, come on.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
#32Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:07pm

'She's Gone' from SIDESHOW.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#33Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:11pm

I happen to love "Uptown/Downtown", maybe a little more than "Lucy and Jessie."

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#34Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:13pm

I Saw Him Once from Les Miserables

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#35Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:17pm

The song wasn't cut but it should have been: Sondheim's original lyric to "We're Gonna Be Alright" in DO I HEAR A WALTZ? is arguably his cleverest. Too bad Rodgers eventually rejected it (legend has it on the orders of his wife), but the version sung in the show seems almost deliberately dull. I've often wondered if the replacement lyric was Sondheim's FU to Rodgers, though I suppose Sondheim is too professional for that.

Fortunately, we hear the original version in SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM.

After Eight, for once I'm not just being argumentative with you, because there's no question that "From This Moment On" is a deserving standard.

But I think the very best cut song that never made it into a book show was "The Man I Love" by the Gershwins. As I'm sure you know, it was cut from LADY, BE GOOD, STRIKE UP THE BAND and ROSALIE before it became a pop hit on its own.

Updated On: 7/29/12 at 07:17 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#36Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:19pm

I think Dorothy Rodgers may have written the revised "We're Gonna Be Alright." It's even more glib than a Sammy Cahn lyric. The first version is a delight.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#37Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 7:45pm

I assume you're making a joke, jv, because Sondheim does seem to claim the boring version in his book. Maybe he took dictation from Mrs. Rodgers...

After Eight
#38Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 8:22pm

I much prefer the Rodgers-mandated version of the song. The nasty Sondheim original is completely wrong for the characters.

Poor Richard Rodgers. He didn't end up with the most felicitous of collaborations on this show.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#39Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 8:31pm

I was making a joke, yes. For the record, Dorothy Rodgers did not write that lyric. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Poor Richard Rodgers? How about poor Stephen Sondheim? Godzilla looked at the lyric of "Perfectly Lovely Couple", called it a piece of sh*t and threw it back at him, claiming he wouldn't let HIS singers sing it.

After Eight, what did Sondheim ever do to you, huh? Did he run over your dog or something? Jeez, man...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:00pm

After Eight hates when people depict unhappy marriages and unseemly aspects of life onstage.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#41Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:08pm

There Won't Be Trumpets, ANYONE CAN WHISTLE

Growing Up Unstable, NEXT TO NORMAL, but once they changed the end of act one, this song had no logical place to go.

I also loved Everything Everyone Ever Told You Is Wrong from NEXT TO NORMAL, but it basically became Maybe, which isn't as good IMO

More to the Story, SHREK

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

After Eight
#42Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:22pm

Kad, good lad,

I'll thank you not to speak for me. Besides, it takes you away from adding yet one more post to the multitudes you've already bludgeoned us with on Into the Woods.

Speaking for myself, then, I'll simply state that I don't like those who refuse, deny and spoil people's happiness, whether with respect to characters on a stage, or the members of an audience.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#43Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 10:36pm

Regarding Next to Normal, I thought Maybe was a huuuuge improvement over Everything Everyone Ever Told You Is Wrong.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 11:41pm

Perhaps less people would think you thoroughly unpleasant if I spoke on your behalf more?

And I apologize for bludgeoning you with my posts on ITW- it seems to me that a number of people found my information helpful. My only regret is that it was only my words that bludgeoned you.

3bluenight
#45Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/29/12 at 11:55pm

i've also always loved Honey, from Merrily We Roll Along. A Lot.

Namaste

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#46Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/30/12 at 1:10am

After Eight probably doesn't like "Honey", though. Even if Sondheim wrote a song called "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Jerry Herman" or threw in a curtain call medley at the end of PACIFIC OVERTURE, he probably wouldn't like it.

After Eight
#47Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/30/12 at 6:50am

"Perhaps less people would think you thoroughly unpleasant if I spoke on your behalf more? "

Oh sure, since your posts paint such a flattering picture of me. And yourself as well! Well, at least I got to start off the day with a good giggle.

"After Eight probably doesn't like "Honey", though."

You're right.

" Even if Sondheim wrote a song called "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Jerry Herman" or threw in a curtain call medley at the end of PACIFIC OVERTURE, he probably wouldn't like it. "

You're right again, considering how ugly the music would doubtless be.

ChanceEncounter
#48Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/30/12 at 8:07am

Gotta agree about Growing Up Unstable from N2N. Great song. And though it eventually made it back into the show before they got to Broadway, I've been being cut before the Second Stage production hurt my soul. I'm just glad I eventually got to hear Brian d'Arcy James sing that song.

There were so many good songs in NYMF version also (Feeling Electric) that got cut or folded into other numbers. I really enjoyed So Many Ways to Die and Electricity (which was a flashback to Dan's vows during their wedding)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#49Great Cut Songs
Posted: 7/30/12 at 9:09am

After Eight, seriously. You're very old and very tired. In fact, far more old and tired than Sondheim is it seems like. Come back when they revive LITTLE JOHNNY JONES successfully, okay?