pixeltracker

Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic

Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:19pm

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned here yet--but I did a search and found nothing. Apologies if there is a thread:

Bryan Singer is going from mutants and giants to the life of one of the great choreographer-directors of the 20th Century, Bob Fosse.

Singer (X-Men, Jack the Giant Killer) is slated to direct the project, which is to be a feature-length film designed for the premium cable network. Neil Meron and Craig Zadan, the duo behind movies such as Hairspray and Chicago, is exec producing with Singer. Nicole Fosse, daughter of Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon, will serve as Executive Co-Producer.

The project, now untitled and in early development, will be a co-production with Sony Television.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:31pm

Thank god they're not just doing a remake of All That Jazz.

....but the world goes 'round

EricMontreal22
#2Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:42pm

Agreed--Rob Marshall would probably do it as well :P

It could be interesting. Singer has always talked about how much he's wanted to do a musical--so I'll be interested to see how the musical seuences are staged (who could play Fosse? Gwen?)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:49pm

Singer is great but he hasn't done anything particularly interesting in years. I'd love to see what some of his contemporaries like Steven Soderbergh or Darren Aronofsky could do with a Fosse bio. Still, Singer is wonderful and I hope that he's able to come up with the right take on the project. I just really hope it's not a standard "greatest hit" biopic a la J. EDGAR. It'd be great if it focused on a short period of his life, though the ALL THAT JAZZ comparisons might arise if that happens.
It's hard to think of anyone who could play Fosse, Roy Scheider was pretty definitive. I guess it'll depend on how old they want the actor to be, I can see someone like Sean Penn doing wonders with this part but he's probably too old.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 9/18/12 at 07:49 PM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:51pm

The original announcement was in January 2011. Since then, he's directed Jack The Giant Killer and Mockingbird Lane. So, this project - at least with Singer attached - seems moribund at best.
Maybe not...

EricMontreal22
#5Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:57pm

HBO sometimes allows more experimental takes with their tv movies--I hope they take some risks.

AEA AGMA SM
#6Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 8:08pm

"It's hard to think of anyone who could play Fosse, Rob Scheider was pretty definitive."

Due to you calling him Rob as opposed to Roy I initially misread that as Rob Schneider and wondered what alternate universe that one happened in.

And I personally don't see how they are going to top All That Jazz. Is there really much that can be said about Fosse's life that wasn't already covered in that movie?

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#7Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 9:12pm

He has quite a "reputation" in they gay community in Los Angeles.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

EricMontreal22
#8Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 9:27pm

That's putting it mildly.

ggersten, that's interesting that this was announced so long back--I found it on the Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon website Nicole Fosse helps run, posted mid Aug this year. But it doesn't say anything different from your link...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 10:40pm

Doesn't Bryan Singer like to sleep with his male stars before casting them as Superma... I mean, before casting them? Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#10Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/17/12 at 10:56pm

These days you don't even get cast...

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

ray-andallthatjazz86
#11Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 10:50am

Due to you calling him Rob as opposed to Roy I initially misread that as Rob Schneider and wondered what alternate universe that one happened in.

AEA AGMA SM, that's hilarious, I just fixed my error. It'd definitely be an alternate universe where Rob Schneider gave a "definitive" performance as a Bob Fosse stand-in Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic

I'm sad the project isn't happening, but like I said, I'm not sure Singer is the best for the project. I had no idea about this apparent reputation he has though, then again I do find him incredibly hot so getting cast in a role would kinda be an added bonus to sleeping with him Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#12Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:48am

Bryan is just doing what Michael Bay and plenty of other directors do (but with less sexism) with young starlets, so more power to him.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#13Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:49am

then again I do find him incredibly hot so getting cast in a role would kinda be an added bonus to sleeping with him...

EWWWW... :HURLS:

#14Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:57am

When i think of Mr. Singer and his leading men it makes me wish he'd direct his own tell-all bio-pic.

aaronb
#15Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 12:24pm

Not usually that crazy about Bryan Singer, but this video endears him to me and makes me think he could handle it pretty well.
Bryan Singer Responds...

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 12:33pm

As an ardent fan of Bob Fosse and his work since I was 7 years old (since 1972 -- the year I saw my first show on Broadway: PIPPIN at the Imperial Theatre), I've been following the development of this HBO film since it was first announced in January 2011. This particular film is based on a book biography that has yet to even be released: Bye, Bye Life: The Loves and Deaths of Bob Fosse (by Sam Wasson), which pretty much validates the reality that it could be YEARS before this even begins production.

Its right up there with the LONG in gestation HBO film adaptation of Erik Lee Preminger's best-selling autobiography of his life with his mom: Gypsy & Me: At Home and on the Road with Gypsy Rose Lee. The film's working title is: MY G-STRING MOTHER. Sigourney Weaver owns the rights and is set to play the older Gypsy Rose Lee. HBO first announced this production in 2007. We're still holding our breath.

EricMontreal22
#17Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 5:09pm

Speaking of, I'm upset that pilot based apparently loosely on Sondheim in the 70s (I believe) never got picked up by HBO. It coulda been awful, but I was curious...

"I'm sad the project isn't happening, but like I said, I'm not sure Singer is the best for the project. I had no idea about this apparent reputation he has though, then again I do find him incredibly hot so getting cast in a role would kinda be an added bonus to sleeping with him"

He does have a rep for inviting male star(lets?) to his house for "parties", etc. But that said he also has a rep for being a genuinely nice guy. Not that I'm condoning his behaviour, but it definitely got more salicious gossip simply because he's openly gay (and I mean let's compare him to the behaviour of a less talented director like the guy who sadly ended up making X Men 3 instead of him, the pretty repulsive Brett Ratner).

Either way, I do hope the fact that Nicole Fosse posted about this on her new site, just a month back, means it is in some sort of development (hell) still.

donte7162004
#18Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 9:58pm

All That Jazz has already been made.......what's the point? That was a pretty good film......

donte7162004
#19Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 9:58pm

All That Jazz has already been made.......what's the point? That was a pretty good film......

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#20Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 10:09pm

I wish it was somebody a little more hi-brow.

Eric, are we talking about the John Logan-penned, Kathryn Bigelow-directed The Miraculous Year? I thought the script leaked but HBO had a lot of pilots that were not picked up around that time. Both Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones surely ate up money available for those shows had they have been green-lit.

Updated On: 9/18/12 at 10:09 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#21Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 10:10pm

I like Fosse's other films, but, although there are some eye catching sequences, I've never thought All That Jazz was much to write home about.

"Apparently Bob Fosse thought it 'foolish' to call All That Jazz self-indulgent. But he did direct, choreograph and co-write this musical comedy; it's about his life; it's very pleased with itself. As translated onto screen, his story is wretched: the jokes are relentlessly crass and objectionable; the song'n'dance routines have been created in the cutting-room and have lost any sense of fun; Fellini-esque moments add little but pretension; and scenes of a real open-heart operation, alternating with footage of a symbolic Angel of Death in veil and white gloves, fail even in terms of the surreal."

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/77740/all-that-jazz.html

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

EricMontreal22
#22Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:00pm

Strummer--that was the show! You're right, HBO for a while was having some trouble getting really break out hits (I know True Blood's second year success helped turn that around--and maybe pointed them partially int he direction they've gone).

I really like All That Jazz, but have never full loved it... That said, it certainly is a much better film than another person involved with musicals's own earlier attempt at a Fellini-esque, musical, autobiuographical film, Anthony Newley's Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness? Oy. I only finally saw a copy of that this past year--just, wow.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#23Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:09pm

I find ALL THAT JAZZ to be a great American adaptation of 8 1/2, it isn't a remake the way Rob Marshall's NINE poorly attempts to be, erasing all the brilliant parts about that movie and copying the most superficial portions. It captures the essence of Fellini and adapts it to Fosse's own (very American, very theatre/show biz informed sensibility). It's hardly a perfect movie, it's ridiculously indulgent and it's hard to get on board with any of the characters, but I still find it pretty fascinating and I love self-reflexive movies like that. For me, it completely works in what it's trying to do, even with all its pretentiousness and weirdness. That's why I worry about someone else trying to take on Fosse's life when Fosse himself already did such an interesting job at it. It might take someone better than Singer to surpass the weird but fascinating piece that is ALL THAT JAZZ.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#24Bryan SInger to direct Fosse biopic
Posted: 8/24/13 at 9:34am

The Sam Wasson book has a November 5, 2013 publication date.
The Amazon page has an excerpt about a dinner party held in accordance with Fosse's will after his death.

"Suddenly Ben Vereen flew to the dance floor. He threw his hands into the air and then onto his hips and started slithering. At first he was alone, but moments later the crowd caught on. Reinking followed with Nicole and the eternal redhead, Nicole’s mother, the Empress. The bandleader upped the tempo to a funk sound with the kind of heavy percussion Fosse loved, and Fosse’s three women moved closer together. Verdon, sixty-two; Reinking, thirty-eight; and Nicole, twenty-four—wife, mistress, daughter—started swaying, their arms entwined, moving together in an unmistakably sensual, sexy way. Their eyes closed and their bodies merged with the beat, pulsing together, like a hot human heart. Others joined them. First ex-girlfriends, then writers. A circle formed, closing in around the women, then opened, then closed, ceaselessly breaking apart and coming together. Grief and laughter poured out of them in waves."
Fosse by Sam Wasson