pixeltracker

What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 12:37am

Began previews yesterday. Any of BWW's UK residents see it yet? I'm anxious to hear about the adaptation. The script I read a few years ago has been drastically changed, apparently. The flying ship that Brantley mentions was not in the draft I read.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/harvey_hopes_neverland_will_fly_192LWeLNewtPGqTzeP4rBM

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

DeNada
#2What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:54am

I don't think any of us UK people on here have been to see it yet. It's a proper out of town tryout in Leicester (although apparently there isn't that much interest in taking it into London - we had a fairly successful production of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens a year or two ago, and the "family" musical market (which is what this is perceived as) is really being catered to by Matilda at the moment).

The feedback on Whatsonstage (the UK's main theatre forum) is very positive from the two people who've commented on it, mostly talking about how spectacular the set is (if a mishmash of various different concepts). Not particularly memorable songs from the sound of things but then you can tell that from the video clips.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#3What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:59am

Seeing it October 6th.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:16am

Looking forward to your reviews!

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 9/24/12 at 07:16 AM

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#5What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:43am

From the Riedel article:

"He thinks British audiences will respond better to a musical about J.M. Barrie and “Peter Pan” than a musical about Mormons."

I think that may turn out to be a misjudgement.

AddisonMizner
#6What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:43am

I am also going to see this on October 6th. Not particularly enamoured with the songs I have heard so far, but am very much looking forward to it none the less. Will post my thoughts on the show here afterwards.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#7What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:02am

Word from the cast seems to be that it is pretty much on for a West End run.

mikey2573
#8What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:22am

I have to say the videos they are using to promote the show can't be helping its prospects as it looks positively DREADFUL! The love song between Sylvia and Barrie is cringe inducing, and the scenes with Barrie and the kids in the car looks right out of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG. I thought the movie was hideous, and the idea of James Barrie's character as the (hetero) romantic lead in a musical is unintentionally laughable. Anyone who knows anything about Barrie and that whole Llewlyn Davies family knows it was more creepy than anything else --with some of the historical events having an almost "supernatural" aspect to them. (Barrie was on his way to mail a letter to Michael when a reporter approached him for a comment about the drowning, Michael's phobia around water and the fact that his swimming/drowning "partner" had written a poem where dying was compared to entering a pool of water, and that's not even the tip of the supernatural iceberg!). I imagine that "uncomfortableness" will be left out of the musical as it was in the film

zyx987 Profile Photo
zyx987
#9What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:56pm

I was there for the first performance along with Bono and the Edge (wonder what they were doing there?). I enjoyed it, I would agree that the songs were okay if largely forgettable. The cast are fantastic, especially Rosalie Craig. It does differ from the film in that it focuses on the romantic aspect and it spends a lot of time on his friendship with Arthur Conan Doyle and the fellow writers he played cricket with.

There was a standing ovation, obligatory these days, but I guess most people enjoyed it.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/23/12 at 11:12pm

Saw Ms Craig in ASPECTS OF LOVE and adored her.
She needs a good role on the Broadway.
Or the West End.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#11What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/24/12 at 8:46am

I'm off to see it on the 1st - I wanted to go get a glimpse of it - and Travelzoo were doing a deal! I'm interested to see Julian Ovenden - who I've only ever seen at the Proms.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/24/12 at 9:02am

He has a brilliant voice.

I want to see production shots! I need to see this set! What's the poster/marquee for this like?

algy Profile Photo
algy
#13What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/24/12 at 10:06am

I've only seen the website artwork, which seems to be the same as they're using in the theatre according to the facebook photos.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=496550663691107&set=a.476236369055870.116748.119085154770995&type=3&theater

wonkit
#14What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/24/12 at 12:04pm

Because Ashford is directing, I am immediately skeptical. The physical production (other than the CHITTY BANG BANG car) looks lovely, the songs sound pedestrian, and the principals' voices are beautiful. How that adds up to a good musical, I'm not sure. I wish them well.

#15What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 9/24/12 at 2:08pm

I believe all the items found in Neverland are up for auction.
Some people think the ranch is falling apart and Michael's family will be keeping some of it. Other items will go on tour.
Bubbles has taken over the property. Bubbles not happy.

Jalupates
#16What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 10/1/12 at 10:10am

First act boring,except for the first scene(it's not really an opening number) and for the act 1 finale.Second act much better and more moving.All the best songs are in the second act.The first act needs be rewritten entirely.It could be a very good show.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#17What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 10/1/12 at 10:51am

I'm off to see it tonight, looking forward to it - interested to see the reports so far, I will of course add my opinion to the mix (for what it's worth).

algy Profile Photo
algy
#18What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 10/2/12 at 7:17am

Ok, so saw this last night.

1st act needs a lot of work. 2nd Act better and stronger with all the best songs as previously mentioned, but I think the show is missing a really really catchy song. I left humming 2 lines of one song - but by the time I got home after listening to 45 minutes of Harry Shearer's documentary about The Beach Boys on Radio 2 I couldn't recall a note.

Good performances from all, but the material isn't strong enough yet. I didn't really buy the letter writing scenes, Peter is too petulant and not likeable enough, not enough is made of Barrie's wife (Claire Foster who did her best) - and you don't see enough of the show of Peter Pan.

There's a couple of big pieces of set that turn up once and then are never really seen again so I wonder whether it's already been redone since the set specs were done.

They're also still ironing out some tech glitches - we had a 5 minute halt in the second half when they couldn't get a pirate to fly up out of sight.

Lots of wire work (but the wires seemed very visible) but not always subtly when it comes to hooking up etc.

Has Potential but not there yet.

Oh and to the woman with her kids 2 rows in front of me: If your 6 year old is not old enough to concentrate on a show
1. Don't bring them on a school night
2. Don't bring them to a show which is not actually hugely kid orientated
and
3. Don't let them play on a Nintendo when they get bored.

Just don't bring them. And thanks to the usher who finally came over and told her to get the kid to put it away in the last number of the first half.

AddisonMizner
#19What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 10/7/12 at 11:33am

I went to see the matinee yesterday (6th October) and have to say that I really loved it! Yes it is a bit slow in the first act, but I was never bored for a moment and the show went incredibly quickly for me.

First thing I have to say is that it looked gorgeous! The sets/costumes/effects/lighting were really beautiful and have left a lasting impression on me, particularly the stunning projections. It is certainly one of the best looking shows I have seen in a long time. I also have to give credit to the direction of some truly wonderful stage pictures/mise-en-scne that are extremely evocative. I won't give anything away for those who haven't seen it, but the last image of the show, with the gauze coming down at the end, was beautifully realised, as was the penultimate scene where Sylvia ascended the staircase. I found it to be extremely symbolic/poetic.

I also loved the score. I have heard many people comment that the score was not particularly memorable or that it was formulaic, but I completely disagree. To me, it was never formulaic and constantly interesting. There were some real lyrical and melodic moments which were beautiful. If one didn't come out humming the songs then I believe that is because the songs weren't hit over the heads of the audience by being reprised hundreds of times. I hope that the cast record a cast album soon so that we can have the score preserved for prosperity.

The cast were all excellent, particularly Julian Ovenden who sang and acted the role of J.M. Barrie brilliantly. What a truly great talent he is!

I agree that this is not really a family show and should not be aiming for the family market. There are some extremely dark themes in the piece that children do not understand and apart from a few moments that verge on panto for the sake of the families (which really should be removed), it does not seem orientated towards children at all.

I look forward to seeing this show again upon its West End transfer to see what they have done with it.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#20What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 10/7/12 at 2:49pm

This is an intelligent and sophisticated musical: from the outset we are dealing with issues of marital breakdown and bereavement. The lyrics blend seamlessly with the book in developing the show’s themes and both are an impressive piece of craftsmanship. The show held my attention entirely from start to finish and that is a credit to the quality of the writing.

Ostensibly, it doesn’t seem to be a show for children at all but maybe I am underestimating them as the child-packed matinee yesterday had a very well behaved audience, the main problems coming from old biddies rattling sweet-wrappers.

The sets are also superb (and what a varied international CV the set designer Scott Pask has) complementing the action but never dominating it, whilst providing spectacular theatrical moments without ever being a substitute for the quality of the writing. Mr Pask’s impressive Tudorbethan Drawing Room/Study/Library at Barrie’s home would have earned him a pat on the back from Anthony Salvin. In fact he can come and redecorate Scripps Towers.

Perhaps the weakest link is the score, which seemed technically clever but never reached in to my soul nor stirred my emotions. It may well be one of those scores that needs repeated listening to fully appreciate. With David Charles Abell conducting it is obviously being given high calibre treatment.

There is still room for improvement before it goes on the next stage of its journey: the show gets off to a slow start with two similar songs for JM Barrie; there is a cringe inducing scene where Barrie and cohorts perform a Highland fling; and quite early on, in reference to J M Barrie’s nationality, there’s the all too frequent American assumption that English and Scottish are the same thing. Clare Foster as Mrs Barrie seems to have to make a lot of awkward faces to show her marriage is breaking down and, when it eventually does, it seems sudden and too matter of fact – the one big glitch in an admirable script. The scenes between Barrie and Mrs du Maurier (Liz Robertson, who is capable of more) play out two dimensionally even though they are written in three.

In the programme it stated that PG Wodehouse was to have been played by Norman Bowman but it was definitely not Mr Bowman on stage and, since Wodehouse had nothing of interest to do, I wonder if Norman has taken his talents elsewhere?!

Despite my reservations I enjoyed this much more than I enjoyed Matilda (but that may have something to do with my dislike of Dahl) and hope that it goes on to great success, in which case I shall happily retract my above comment about Book of Mormon.

Updated On: 10/7/12 at 02:49 PM

Mattbrain
#21What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 4/11/13 at 10:34am

So is this dead in the water?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#22What's the word on FINDING NEVERLAND?
Posted: 4/11/13 at 10:49am

I'm sure it's not, they're just planning their next step.

Don't forget Harvey Weinstein is behind it. He has considerable resources.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos